How to increase Pixel Density/SuperSample in HTC VIVE

illuzian

Ok guys, after the latest patch failed to assist I had a look and discovered we can actually increase pixel density.

I've tested and... THE A-10C HUD IS READABLE.

How to:

1. go to your steam install path for me this is C:\Games\Steam for many it will be C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam
  2. Enter the config directory
  3. Open steamvr.vrsettings in notepad or your preferred text editor(sublime etc not word)
  4. Under "steamvr" add "renderTargetMultiplier": 2.5 (with a multiplier of your choice)

IMPORTANT: between each item there should be a , EXCEPT for the last one(so Python programmers beware)

Mine looks like this for example:

"steamvr" : {
     "allowReprojection" : true,
     "background" : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ViveSetup\\Updater\\viveNight.png",
     "renderTargetMultiplier": 2.5
  },

Notice my renderTargetMutliplier has no trailing ,

Beware this will affect all games so you may want to adjust or remove it between games. You may also need to tweak your graphics settings again.

Finally... PROFIT

Edited by illuzian
Typo
  • Like 4

DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

illuzian, I've just made a test, confirm it's REALLY work. Eventually got a readable HUD!!!! And feel that the $699 MSRP toys is not a garbage!!

Just a preliminary test, and my initial thought.

1) As it's a global change of setting, it's work on both 1.5.4 and 2.0.2, which means I can have a readable HUD with Nevada Map;

2) Follow you in setting the multiplier to 2.5, just a little drop of FPS on 1.5.4, but a significant drop of FPS (to 20FPS) in 2.0.2, but interesting is -> the small word in the throttle pad are also readable.

3) I'm with 6700K @4.6Ghz + GTX 980Ti with ~15%OC now, above test are with "Low settings" on most of setting. Anyone can give me an answer whether it can be improved with GTX 1080.

Well well, I'm just a player, not a technical guy. What I'm scare to upgrade is -> eventually found out it's something about the limitation of game engine (DX12 vs DX11) and make a waste for buying the new 1080 card.....

But again, thx illuzian.

Really stoked this has aided you guys.

3) I'm with 6700K @4.6Ghz + GTX 980Ti with ~15%OC now, above test are with "Low settings" on most of setting. Anyone can give me an answer whether it can be improved with GTX 1080.

Running a 1080 here on a 3770k CPU had to tweak my settings a little from the default VR settings and it's definitely playable for me but I've not jumped in MP, just Instant Action and ramp start.

Going back on shift for the next 4 days so hopefully some other chums can do some in depth testing to see if they can find some reasonable settings. I'm currently on 2.0 density and plan on testing 1.5 and some other settings to see how I go.

DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

Ok guys, after the latest patch failed to assist I had a look and discovered we can actually increase pixel density.

Brilliant, mate! You made my day! :cheer3nc:

1. Under "steamvr" add "renderTargetMultiplier": 2.5 (with a multiplier of your choice)

I did so much testing with all kinds of settings nothing worked and it was actually so "easy" :doh: Hope they will include this in the steamVR app soon.

IMPORTANT: between each item there should be a , EXCEPT for the last one(so Python programmers beware)

:megalol: Thanks for that!

Mind you that you can erase point 4 of your signature... ;)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Mainsail, I see you're running a 970, same as me, have you tried this yet? If so what have you set yours to please?

[Open Q, so applies to anyone with a 970 and Vive...many thanks to Illuzian for this]

Yes, did a quick test on all low settings except textures (mission A-10 runway takeoff) and my framerate dropped from steady 45 (reprojection) to low 30' on the 2.5 setting. With renderTargetMultiplier: 1.5 fps is switching between 45 and 90 fps. I'm not sure about the gain in quality yet (I already had a readable hud with the larger hud font mod installed), have to do some more testing.

My GPU clock speed is 1470 Mhz and the memory is running at 4000 Mhz.

Edited by MainSail
GPU overclock added.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

Mind you that you can erase point 4 of your signature... ;)

Right you are lol, getting on that now!

i53570K @4Ghz, GTX970

All AA off in NVInspector. Most settings on low except for textures.

90FPS constant with pixel density at 1.0.

80FPS at 1.25

75FPS at 1.5

Not playable at 2.0

Looks VERY nice though...

It's quite unfortunate as I have a pretty rocking system and can run with generally med setting and lots of AA just fine but as soon as I enable pixel density it just murders my GPU.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

This setting appears to remove itself after a reboot??? Can anyone confirm that for me?

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm a tool... Just misplaced the line :). It doesn't get removed.

Thanks for this illuzian!

Awesome find!

I tried setting target to 2.0 but it is not playable for me as well.

The thing is though that while it is better in terms of readability, it I can't really read the panel writings. They are fuzzy. Specially the MFDs, and their symbols. Jagged lines and pixels seems to flash very rapidly while moving the head around.

Maybe I am expecting too much?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

You're likely not getting 90FPS so it's jumpy... Try RCtrl+pause/break to view your frame rate. It seems it has to stay above 90 at all times or oddity starts to happen :). Once you get over 90 it's all perfect.

I can only run 90FPS with pix density at 1.1-1.2 with a GTX970 and a 4GHz i53570K with pretty much all settings on low. Even then it drops below 90 when I get low over largish towns.

A setting of 2.0 is also too demanding for my system. Currently I'm using 1.5 along with MSAA 4x. That seems to run smoothly - at least in most situations.

I think it's a huge improvement. Feels nearly like the next gen of the Vive.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

For those of you that have Elite Dangerous try it in that. I see a huge improvement in text readability with this fix as well. I know it is a global setting so we need to be careful so that everything isn't horked when making these changes.

You're likely not getting 90FPS so it's jumpy... Try RCtrl+pause/break to view your frame rate. It seems it has to stay above 90 at all times or oddity starts to happen :). Once you get over 90 it's all perfect.

I can only run 90FPS with pix density at 1.1-1.2 with a GTX970 and a 4GHz i53570K with pretty much all settings on low. Even then it drops below 90 when I get low over largish towns.

Yep, understood that.

What I am saying though is that I was expecting a huge jump in terms of readability but it wasn't for me.

Maybe having everything on low affects readability as well?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

Yep, understood that.

What I am saying though is that I was expecting a huge jump in terms of readability but it wasn't for me.

Maybe having everything on low affects readability as well?

Readability was a massive jump for me on 2.0, have you made sure the format of the options file is correct? (ie trailing , and all that)

You're definitely still going to see things as imperfect due to VR's current resolution limit but things like the HUD, Instruments and TAD should go from illegible to clear or at least clear enough to be consistently legible

Hi again

yep, made sure the format is correct. Again I see a jump but not that massive. Instruments and TAD are a tiny bit more legible. But still I have to get close to the instruments to be able to read them well.

Did you manually type "2160x1200" (without quotes) into the resolution bar in game and apply that?

I've gone on a one day over clocking tirade with my 970 and I'm now running 1.2 at a pretty stable 90FPS. Readability of gauges at least in the P51 is much better. That said... I know it well enough that I all I really need to see somewhat is the needle position on the temp gauges. But it's better for sure :)...

Did you manually type "2160x1200" (without quotes) into the resolution bar in game and apply that?

I don't think that this is necessary.

Finally I've been able to try it and wow! I was a bit skeptical about how much of a difference it would make but it really does. It's hard to understand how the same panels with the same resolutions can be so much crispier :huh:

Unfortunately, it's killing fps for me, too.

Thanks for this illuzian.