Equipping Mig-21 with Matra r550 missiles?

Jaktaz

Both the Iraqi's and Indians retired their Mig-21's to fire Magics. I don't know how hard this would be to model in Lestherneck's Mig-21, but I imagine at worst, it would require the overhead panel to be installed similar to the one required for the guy pods and the tactical nuke.

It would be great to miss with the Magic II in the Mig-21 in addition to the Mirage 2000C.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Well first.

Did those Mig-21s use the Magic I or Magic II?.

For the Iraqis it would be the magic I as they never had the Magic II (that we have in the game)

And the Indians had both Magic Is and IIs but my guess would be even if they had mig-21s that could use Magic IIs that only the Bisions would be Magic II capable.

They got the Magic Is in the 70s and the Magic IIs for the Mirage-2000 in the 80s/90s.

So if some users could make the Bis able to use the Magic I (with minimal modifications) then sure maby.

But i would have to see documentation before i would think they could use the Magic II as well.

(The Magic I is the earlier Rear-Aspect only variant of the Magic II)

Edited by mattebubben

Magic I is roughly similar with R-60 (perhaps not even R-60M), and main reason Iraqis did it was, as far as I recall they couldn't source R-60s for their MiGs, I may be wrong with this part though.

In any case, Magic I wouldn't change a lot, and perhaps may not even be as good as (hopefuly updated soon) R-60M in some aspects.

Egypt used Sidewinders on MiG-21 too but not sure which versions of MiG and which version of Sidewinder, even then, these are quite specific "fringe" versions. Though, like stated, I believe making a loadout mod should be possible, only thing I wonder in this case though, I recall lua definitions of Leatherneck were obfuscated into compiled code, and weren't open and modable like others, so may be this wouldn't work even as a mod in that case.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Not sure, as far as I know they use some Israeli Pytons may be Magic too but, that's not the point, point is, those are "modern" MiG-21s, upgraded in LanceR programme, and are not the MiG-21Bis.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Romanians don't have Mig21 with Magics II ?

Yes the Romanian Lancers can use the Magic II.

mig-21.jpg

But The Lancer is very upgraded.

For example this is a Mig-21 Lancer cockpit.

lanceriii.jpg

Slightly different from what we have in game.

It also has a new radar etc and pretty much completely new Avionics.

So its a very different beast then the Mig-21Bis.

There are some Pictures of what claims to be a Indian Mig-21MF-75s with Magic II missiles (and some other mention of Mig-21s carrying MagicsI/IIs)

But ive been unable to find any mention of what modifications needed.

(since its not simply plug/play there would be some modifications needed but cant find how extensive it would have to been).

Edited by mattebubben