MB-339A/PAN by Frecce Tricolori Virtuali

ARTICLE ABOUT DCS AND OUR MOD ON THE ITALIAN AIR FORCE MAGAZINE

ARTICLE ABOUT DCS AND OUR MOD ON THE ITALIAN AIR FORCE MAGAZINE

We are happy to show you an article about our mod published by the magazine of the Italian Air Force:

poqOUPR3j

pouVT8ivj

DCS, i.e. Digital Combat Simulator (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com), is a flight simulator created to reproduce a digital battlefield able to host players specially in multiplayer providing the best virtual replica of military aircrafts, ships and vehicles with the relevant weapons for a complete simulation of the operative theatre.

The basic platform of DCS is free to play and includes a big scenery of the Caucasus, Black Sea and a piece of the Georgia; in its free version, it is possible to fly the Russian Sukhoi SU-25 and the Mustang.

Several aircrafts are available on-line, specially fighters with high performances, such as combat helicopters and other maps, in particular the Nevada, Persian Gulf and Normandy 1944 for people with the passion of the historic military simulation.

For some time, it’s available online a version of the MB-339 for DCS created by the members of the Frecce Tricolori Virtuali association, a group of people with the passion of aviation, flight simulation and estimators of the PAN (Pattuglia Acrobatica Nazionale – in English “National Aerobatic Team”) which has the objective to reproduce in simulated version the teamwork, the bonds of friendship and the aerobatic flight of the Frecce Tricolori. (http://www.freccetricolorivirtuali.net for more info and to download the installer).

Currently, the available version is called SFM, i.e. Simplified Flight Model, since it is based on a standard model modified by means the introduction of the characteristic dimensions of the aircraft and the main aerodynamic coefficients, such as other specific engine data.

This has allowed to obtain a plausible and “dignified” flight model which however suffers of some limitations which don’t allow a precise simulation of all maneuvers and attitudes expected for the typical maneuvers of the Frecce Tricolori such as the “scampanata” (in English “tailside”) and the famous Lomcovak, the spectacular maneuver admired in a lot of airshows in which the aircraft rotates around the axes at an almost 0 velocity. Then, even moved by the never-ending desire of precision and improvement, and motivated by the success of the first version of the aircraft, the FTV developing team has decided to develop a model as accurate as the real aircraft re-elaborating totally the flight model, not starting by an existing base, but developing a ex-novo version with mathematical formulas and ad-hoc coefficients. This technique, similar to the one utilized by professional developers of commercial products, will allow the aircraft to reproduce all the complex maneuvers and the group to reproduce the complete program of the Frecce Tricolori.

The improvements introduced in this new model, called “external flight model” or EFM, allow the aircraft to execute stalls and spin, to be affected by the presence of external payloads such as asymmetrical conditions, to be affected by the ground effect during the takeoff and landing, to be affected by aerodynamics effect when the landing gear is extracted or retracted or of other aerodynamic surfaces and other characteristics which make the aircraft very real to fly. Furthermore, the electrical and hydraulics system are reproduced such as the engine characteristics like the thrust, fuel consumption, etc.

Furthermore, it has added the possibility to utilize in multiplayer both crew stations of the same aircraft sharing the flight controls, then passing the aircraft control in order to simulate the instructor and the student pilot

In the new model, the graphical details has been improved such as the static ones with the improvement of some external and internal parts of the aircraft (more realistic if the VR is used) and the dynamic ones with various effects on the mobile surfaces, but also in the tire deformation under the aircraft weight or during the ejection sequence. The textures have been created with advanced rendering techniques which improve the realistic effect according the light and the materials.

The first EFM release is expected within June on the FTV website. They will continue to develop the model until it is possible, adding new features and supporting the resolution of any bugs. In the substantial list of future works, it is possible to note the possibility to have the random failures on the systems and equipment, structural damages due to “high-G” or collisions, emergency simulations and so on.

It is relevant the creation of particular weapons utilized by the armed version, created ad-hoc since not available in the weapon list of DCS.

Particular attention has been done on the graphical rendering of the cockpit with the purpose to boost the usability for the VR users which in some models suffers of resolution loss which prevent the clear reading of the flight instruments.

Currently, the aircraft can be used only on the map base or on the other extra ones since it is not possible the creation of personalized areas. Furthermore, the DCS capabilities such as the multiplayer stabilities do not indicate that the model will be reproduced or shifted on other simulation platforms in order to avoid the loss of the aircraft particular characteristics.

Trying out the EFM version, despite it is a work in progress, it is possible to taste the product quality created by competent and passionate people which expresses in synthesis the profuse capacity and commitment in the creation of this detailed model in all points of view. If you have a computer “well equipped” for the flight simulators, I advise you to try it even though you never used DCS and, personally, I think you will be satisfied.

Edited by PONY3_Aracno

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bravissimi!

Ve lo siete meritato tutto, il vostro successo!

Questo è il giusto risultato dell'impegno, della costante ricerca della perfezione, e dei tanti sacrifici vostri e chi vive vicino a voi, aspetto, questo, che fin troppo spesso troppi trascurano di aver presente.

Complimenti vivissimi, sono anch'io contento per voi, e ad maiora semper!

Nice job, you really deserved it, and ad maiora semper!

With best compliments and regards.

Edited by JagHond

Ma la fisica del volo come l'avete fatta? Complimenti in ogni caso.
Se te lo dicessi, dovrei ucciderti! XD

Scherzo... tramite ED_FM_Template. Abbiamo scritto tutte le formule che descrivono la dinamica del volo e le abbiamo implementate in questo template unitamente alla logica dei sistemi (che stiamo ancora scrivendo) che verranno rilasciati uno alla volta con degli aggiornamenti (molto piu frequenti) successivi al prossimo rilascio.

In sostanza stiamo rifacendo l'aereo quasi da zero, del vecchio mod si recupera davvero poco.

--------------------------

ENGLISH

If I told you, I should kill you! XD

I'm joking... via ED_FM_Template.

We have written all formulas that describe the flight dynamics and then we have implemented them in this template together with the logic of the systems (which we are still writing) that will be released one at each update (the updates will be much more frequent) following the next release.

In essence, we are re-making the plane almost from scratch, the old mod is recovered very little.

Frecce Tricolori Virtuali - EFM coder

Edited by 6S.Duke

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bello, davvero bello allora... non vedo proprio l'ora di provarlo, sarà il mio primo aereo acrobatico (e da italiano, meglio così, è chiaro!)

Ancora complimenti! Con i migliori saluti.

So nice indeed... just can't await to test her, she will my first aerobatic plane (and, as an Italian, better this way, it's clear!)

With best compliments again and regards.

《If someone had asked me for an opinion on PC flight simulators a few years ago, I probably would have replied that it was a child's game, which, however sophisticated, was still very far from reality. Now, after trying to fly with the Frecce Tricolori Virtuali... well, I think differently. Assuming that actual flight is always unique and unrepeatable, flying the 339 PAN on DCS, especially with VR, is what absolutely comes closest to actual reality. The details inside and outside, the definition, the qualities of flight, the concrete sensations (apart from the G force) that are experienced, are incredibly faithful and conform to what one experiences flying "live". Finally, flying to these FTV boys, he recalled an almost forgotten déjà-vù.

I found myself a newbie. The classic novice novice who jumps up and down to be in formation, while the others around stand still and steady in position. After 10 years in the PAN and 2 in the Experimental Flight Department I never thought it could happen. Good job "guys".》

Gianluigi Zanovello, pony 2/4/7/1 and commander of real Frecce Tricolori from 1984 to 1994.

《If someone had asked me for an opinion on PC flight simulators a few years ago, I probably would have replied that it was a child's game, which, however sophisticated, was still very far from reality. Now, after trying to fly with the Frecce Tricolori Virtuali... well, I think differently. Assuming that actual flight is always unique and unrepeatable, flying the 339 PAN on DCS, especially with VR, is what absolutely comes closest to actual reality. The details inside and outside, the definition, the qualities of flight, the concrete sensations (apart from the G force) that are experienced, are incredibly faithful and conform to what one experiences flying "live". Finally, flying to these FTV boys, he recalled an almost forgotten déjà-vù.

I found myself a newbie. The classic novice novice who jumps up and down to be in formation, while the others around stand still and steady in position. After 10 years in the PAN and 2 in the Experimental Flight Department I never thought it could happen. Good job "guys".》

Gianluigi Zanovello, pony 2/4/7/1 and commander of real Frecce Tricolori from 1984 to 1994.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I can only agree to what Mr. Zanovello said above, being on the absolute other end of the thing, not even seing one MB-339 on real life yet, the only opportunity I could have was to fly the digital bytes wings mad by you guys, and had tons of fun over last weekend with this one, your work has absolutelly amazed me. Even made my wife try to fly the bird and smoke some ground targets (she did quite a decend job by the way being such a super stable machine and easy to fly, a born trainer).

One can feel the attention and care spent on this project, on how the panel works and how it flies and reacts beautifully to every input. You guys just raised the bar for the DCS Engine Fligh Model, even with the known limitations of it (the lack of stall for example).

I have experienced a couple of issues that might be related to my lack of knowledge of the module. I assume they have being adressed already either in english or italian, but I am still trying to find the correct answers (most of them could be corrected by a manual if available, or a list on the first page with the common mistakes):

• Flaps up/down binding & not working by clicking
  • Sensitive AOA during take off and landing (bang noise followed by damage). Is it like the real thing? Maybe related to my flap issue?
  • Animations a bit rough
  • Smoke not working (only for members feature?)
  • No indication on panel of open airbrake
  • Back seat POV too close to the panel
  • Ordnance
  • Fuel gauge turns to 0 on the fuselage tank mid flight even with fuel on it
  • ICE warning when flying at high altitudes / Pitot heat knob not working
  • User manual (at least with table of speeds and target bug values for each payload, activation sequences)
  • Update the download link on the first message of this tread
  • HOW TO DONATE!

**found this user manual:

https://issuu.com/giuseppedidiano/docs/mb339_user_manual

Thank you guys for this AMAZING work.

Edited by jamespejam

I can only agree to what Mr. Zanovello said above, being on the absolute other end of the thing, not even seing one MB-339 on real life yet, the only opportunity I could have was to fly the digital bytes wings mad by you guys, and had tons of fun over last weekend with this one, your work has absolutelly amazed me. Even made my wife try to fly the bird and smoke some ground targets (she did quite a decend job by the way being such a super stable machine and easy to fly, a born trainer).

One can feel the attention and care spent on this project, on how the panel works and how it flies and reacts beautifully to every input. You guys just raised the bar for the DCS Engine Fligh Model, even with the known limitations of it (the lack of stall for example).

I have experienced a couple of issues that might be related to my lack of knowledge of the module. I assume they have being adressed already either in english or italian, but I am still trying to find the correct answers (most of them could be corrected by a manual if available, or a list on the first page with the common mistakes):

• Flaps up/down binding & not working by clicking
  • Sensitive AOA during take off and landing (bang noise followed by damage). Is it like the real thing? Maybe related to my flap issue?
  • Animations a bit rough
  • Smoke not working (only for members feature?)
  • No indication on panel of open airbrake
  • Back seat POV too close to the panel
  • Ordnance
  • Fuel gauge turns to 0 on the fuselage tank mid flight even with fuel on it
  • ICE warning when flying at high altitudes / Pitot heat knob not working
  • User manual (at least with table of speeds and target bug values for each payload, activation sequences)
  • Update the download link on the first message of this tread
  • HOW TO DONATE!

**found this user manual:

https://issuu.com/giuseppedidiano/docs/mb339_user_manual

Thank you guys for this AMAZING work.

Hi mate,

thanks for your report.

The words of Gianluigi Zanovello are referred to the new version which will be available for download soon (in the next days we will publish the official announchment) with the improved flight model (during these last 8 months we worked on a EFM) and with the next periodical updates we will provide each single working system like on the real aircraft.

Thank to the cooperation of a ED forum user, we worked on the English version of the Manual which will be available also in the new update.

Below some answers:

* Flaps up/down binding & not working by clicking

- We put a guide how to set the controls

* Sensitive AOA during take off and landing (bang noise followed by damage). Is it like the real thing? Maybe related to my flap issue?

- No, it’s a SFM issue. Already solved with the EFM.

* Animations a bit rough

- The animation have been revised, if you will see with the next update other issues, please report us.

* Smoke not working (only for members feature?)

- the smoke works but you have to add it as payload

* No indication on panel of open airbrake

- Really? The airbrake indicator is located on the left side of the front panel, next to the flaps indicator. Anyway, if there is a trouble with the SFM version, in the next update this works well.

* Back seat POV too close to the panel

- yeah, you right. Issue solved adding the multicrew feature. In single player you can shift from front to back by pressing the keys 1 and 2 adding the instructor on the rear seat by Mission Builder. Furthermore, you can fly with a friend online sharing the aircraft controls (currently without system sync, in the feature we will try to write a sync logic)

* Fuel gauge turns to 0 on the fuselage tank mid flight even with fuel on it

- the arrow of the fuel gauge shows the fuel quantity in the selected thank. The total fuel is shown by the display.

* ICE warning when flying at high altitudes / Pitot heat knob not working

- This is a fake system. You can ignore it because it does not affect the aircraft flight. We will write the real anti-ice in the future.

* User manual (at least with table of speeds and target bug values for each payload, activation sequences)

- Unfortunately we don’t have these information because the weapon delivery manual vol. 2 is still classified so we don’t have access to it. We will try to write a guide or doing some videos.

* Update the download link on the first message of this tread

- The download link is available on our website: http://www.freccetricolorivirtuali.net

You can download it after the registration and log in.

* HOW TO DONATE!

- You will find the “DONATE” button in the download page of our website… anyway, many thanks!!! :)

Edited by 6S.Duke

《In the last 20 years of professional activity, first in Aermacchi and then at the European Agency for Air Safety, I was able to evaluate flight simulators of military and civil aircraft designed and built by almost all the major suppliers of such equipment.

Meeting the Team of Frecce Tricolori Virtuali I would never have believed that finding myself flying with a simulator of the MB339 PAN, designed and built, let me tell you, in an "artisan" way it would have given me sensations almost similar to those I felt the first time I flew on a Jet aircraft. Undoubtedly, detaching the wheels from the runway and hovering in the air is an experience that probably no simulator will be able to give you.

However, the use of VR drags you into a reality very similar to the one you live in the cockpit of an MB339, turn left and see an aircraft in the wing or take out the cart and see the true lever of the MB339 that lowers with the light that indicates the correct sequence will lead you into a "virtual world" that when I started flying with the P66 over 40 years ago I never thought it could exist.

In addition to your professionalism and passion for what you are doing, I was also able to appreciate your continuous search to improve, the questions that were asked to me and the subsequent exchange of information with your "gracious engineer" who deals with propulsion showed me your "thirst for knowledge" and "curiosity" which are the basic elements of every successful program.

I hope to meet you again and have a new flight experience simulated with you.》

Eng. Stefano Bernardini - Aermacchi

Congratulazioni sull'articolo e queste bellissime parole da chi se ne intende...

:cheer3nc:

Deve essere stato un lavoro super-umano produrre tutto questo...

:notworthy:

Sono da Zara, Croatia... ho fatto provare il vostro MB339 a dei membri del gruppo "Wings of Storm" che sono amici delle Frecce Tricolori (anche, miei amici)...

:joystick:

Sulle foto, membro di "Wings of Storm" che tiene formazione con il volo scrittato di un paio di MB-339 in Pimax 5K+:

20190327-215809.jpg 20190327-220039.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

《In the last 20 years of professional activity, first in Aermacchi and then at the European Agency for Air Safety, I was able to evaluate flight simulators of military and civil aircraft designed and built by almost all the major suppliers of such equipment.

Meeting the Team of Frecce Tricolori Virtuali I would never have believed that finding myself flying with a simulator of the MB339 PAN, designed and built, let me tell you, in an "artisan" way it would have given me sensations almost similar to those I felt the first time I flew on a Jet aircraft. Undoubtedly, detaching the wheels from the runway and hovering in the air is an experience that probably no simulator will be able to give you.

However, the use of VR drags you into a reality very similar to the one you live in the cockpit of an MB339, turn left and see an aircraft in the wing or take out the cart and see the true lever of the MB339 that lowers with the light that indicates the correct sequence will lead you into a "virtual world" that when I started flying with the P66 over 40 years ago I never thought it could exist.

In addition to your professionalism and passion for what you are doing, I was also able to appreciate your continuous search to improve, the questions that were asked to me and the subsequent exchange of information with your "gracious engineer" who deals with propulsion showed me your "thirst for knowledge" and "curiosity" which are the basic elements of every successful program.

I hope to meet you again and have a new flight experience simulated with you.》

Eng. Stefano Bernardini - Aermacchi

wow gratulations! you must be proud as ...k! well deserved

I approached your simulators during the Verona modeling fair. I did it with great discretion; without telling you that after all I was one who had spent three years on the 339 as an instructor in the Air Force. I felt a little embarrassed ... I was perhaps afraid of disappointing your expectations and maybe disfiguring at the controls, after a long time, even if in a "virtual" world.

So to break the ice I returned to make myself alive with the reinforcements, also former soldiers, people of great importance, the friends Gigi Zanovello and Stefano Bernardini.

It was a fantastic experience ... you welcomed us with great enthusiasm and a passion out of proportion. The work you did in that virtual world is incredible ... it brought me back to when I was "Bianco 38" and to the capriole in the Salento sky at the controls of a wonderful machine.

But for me, the most beautiful thing, let me repeat it, is the charge of enthusiasm and pure aeronautical passion that surrounds anyone who comes close to your group and that made me feel on the skin that atmosphere that I lived as an instructor in Galatina in the midst of so many guys who finally realized their dream.

Keep it up !

Cesare D'Eredità

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Congratulazioni sull'articolo e queste bellissime parole da chi se ne intende...

:cheer3nc:

Deve essere stato un lavoro super-umano produrre tutto questo...

:notworthy:

Sono da Zara, Croatia... ho fatto provare il vostro MB339 a dei membri del gruppo "Wings of Storm" che sono amici delle Frecce Tricolori (anche, miei amici)...

:joystick:

Sulle foto, membro di "Wings of Storm" che tiene formazione con il volo scrittato di un paio di MB-339 in Pimax 5K+:

20190327-215809.jpg 20190327-220039.jpg

WOW, we are honored, thank you mate!

Edited by PONY3_Aracno

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]