Rift FPS Question

R3TR0

I have browsed about for an answer to this but could not find anything, but probably already been answered?

I can not seem to get more than 45fps with the rift no matter what settings im using, I have everything maxed out except shadows (off) and Mirror (off). With Minimum setting 45fps with max setting 42 fps, this is using mig21, now I have not lifted off yet as wanted to sort FPS out while on the ground.

I don't have custom CFG and using steam version. I have looked for a "maxfps" command in the LUA files but nothing.

P.S also tried sliders all way down and half way(ish).

Running - 980ti, 16 gig 1833mhz mem, i5 3570k clocked to 4.7 on water. and a 144 mhz 1440p monitor, 47" Plasma 1080p and rift.

Any help would be good, scratching my head over this one (i do have SDK installed but not used with DCS yet)

@Jamison - Thanks, yeah will do, I'll post some images up later, at work right now ;)

Edit - No v-Sync used!!!

Ok pop the screen shot up and we can give you done guidance buddy

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Hi there, here you go, I put Afterburner graphs up so you can see there is a little fluctuation with low settings but mostly suspiciously sold 45.

Now in high it did drop to 38fps (see afterburner graph for fluctuation) a couple of times.

P.S also you may look at time line and see discrepancy I had to re do the low settings piccy as I copied over it by accident... mirrors are off.

edit.... Sorry but you should change the in-game images around, as I must have got them mixed up (note mem usage) sorry :)

Settings-high.thumb.jpg.651f778a54bd1302b70907688cafbc65.jpg

Settings-Low.thumb.jpg.bb0a079d85803b1c6c25ce4f4cc127c8.jpg

Edited by R3TR0

actually for me FPS in the air is much better then on the ground, try running an Instant action, just to check.

I have a 970 with much lower OC then what you get there. and I can maintain 45 for most of the flight (A-10,M2K and P51), but when I go to land, things get messy usually (as well as when I start dodging buildings in towns).

actually for me FPS in the air is much better then on the ground, try running an Instant action, just to check.

I have a 970 with much lower OC then what you get there. and I can maintain 45 for most of the flight (A-10,M2K and P51), but when I go to land, things get messy usually (as well as when I start dodging buildings in towns).

With the high settings, if I look at ground and if I back off behind seat but still can view cockpit 90fps, horizon 38 to 70fps depending if a city is in view.

With Low settings paused 90fps (moving about cockpit looking out window etc, unpaused 45fps to 90fps (I would say 75 most of the time).

I may be fine I guess but barely using system resources, I know DCS is not optimized that well but still would have thought it would utilize resources better. Don't get me wrong I love this I just feel like im missing something.

What would be the optimum system for DCS because hardware is not something that will make major difference... lol wow Im rambling, ignore me!

Just thought, may be I should take the plunge and go stand alone, you may think i'm crazy but I like steam for (A) the Time played (B) auto updates, though don't seem to see much of those these days! :music_whistling:

Does the stand alone keep track of time played?:pilotfly:

P.S I'm pro at spamming my own post! :doh:

Hi there, here you go, I put Afterburner graphs up so you can see there is a little fluctuation with low settings but mostly suspiciously sold 45.

Now in high it did drop to 38fps (see afterburner graph for fluctuation) a couple of times.

P.S also you may look at time line and see discrepancy I had to re do the low settings piccy as I copied over it by accident... mirrors are off.

edit.... Sorry but you should change the in-game images around, as I must have got them mixed up (note mem usage) sorry :)

What fps do you get without the rift for the exact same view? Just using the 1440 monitor.

What fps do you get without the rift for the exact same view? Just using the 1440 monitor.

Hi Yellow Jacket, in low settings I get between 120fps and 145, high settings 95 to 129fps (shadows and mirrors off on both!

Wow, I did not expect those numbers to be so high. Considering that I get somewhat better and steadier numbers in NTTR map, you may have easier time getting what you need once 2.5 rolls in.

Well thanks YJ, when is 2.5 due, I'll go look see what i can find?

Just an update for anyone having similar issues, remember I am/was using steam version of 1.5 which I'm guessing is a bit older version than the stand alone.

I downloaded the 1.5 Beta and sorted most of my issues, on the ground i'am around 45 to 55fps and 55 to 90 flying (depending on height) this is using the settings in the image below.

I am using a mild OC on the GTX 980ti as you can see from image the i5-3570k is clocked quite heavy to 4.7 this is on water.

On a side note, I don't think I will play DCS again outside of vr, as its amazing... You feel it in your feet. Also the sense of situational awareness is great!

DCS-VR.thumb.jpg.5ee46f7b7e105eae49363fa37697f1ca.jpg

i have two computers, one with 6700K + 1080GTX and 2600K + 1080GTX

with this experience, i say CPU plays a big part in FPS.

both are overclocked to 4.5G

i get 45-90 with the 6700K (1.8 pixel density)

but 45-70 with the 2600K (1.5 pixel density)

Yeah from the Afterburner graphs DCS does not utilise resources efficiently, there may well be some technical reason for this?

I have not messed yet with the pixel density, kinda happy as it is.! :pilotfly:

You found the beta update. That solved a lot of problems for me as well. Running dual 970s. Turning off mirrors on the ground helps immensely.

For some reason, the 21 runs like garbage in VR, but other jets (2000C, 27, Ka-50 even) run soooo much better. I wanted to wait for more patches targeting VR performance before I said anything to Leatherneck about it.

You found the beta update. That solved a lot of problems for me as well. Running dual 970s. Turning off mirrors on the ground helps immensely.

For some reason, the 21 runs like garbage in VR, but other jets (2000C, 27, Ka-50 even) run soooo much better. I wanted to wait for more patches targeting VR performance before I said anything to Leatherneck about it.

Yeah, I did.... I went from Steam version to the 1.5 Beta made a huge difference.

Just tested Mig 21 on Circus is open.mis with PD on 1.5, Shadows Flat, everything else (image quality wise) on high and I found it completely playable 44fps up to around 75fps (biggest drop was to 40 though very briefly).

I tried the Mig 15 and the Sabre and you are correct they do run better than the Mig21, perhaps its the cockpit on the 21 causing a bit of slowdown?

i have two computers, one with 6700K + 1080GTX and 2600K + 1080GTX

with this experience, i say CPU plays a big part in FPS.

both are overclocked to 4.5G

i get 45-90 with the 6700K (1.8 pixel density)

but 45-70 with the 2600K (1.5 pixel density)

It could be a PCI 3.0 vs PCI 2.0 bandwith issue. Not CPU per se.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

DCS seems to be the only title that people with very high end systems cant maintain 90fps all or at very least most of the time

is this being fixed obviously some serious optimisations are needed for the recent hardware like

10 series gpu's and vr headsets

even if certain fine textures are optionally switchable

I have a 4.6ghz 6cores CPU and a 980Ti OC, and I can't even maintain 45fps in VR in multiplayer (I have experienced 20 fps in certain circumstances!)... so you see ghosting while playing (unplayable).

I don't want 90fps.. but the hell, at least 45 fps! ...at the moment you can't even constant 45fps, neither with a 1080 (sometime it drops to 30 fps in multiplayer..).

@adrianstealth

I'm sure ED will get around to sorting out any resource issues , they have a huge task on there hands with what they are trying to achieve (successfully IMO).

I am tempted to try the Nevada 2.0 out as it sounds more optimized for VR?. I'm not sure what content it has though such as single player missions, I realy should read up!

@npole

Not tried MP (ever) I need to up my skillz before I would consider.

We were discussing the fact that the Mig 21 runs a lot slower than certain other craft in VR, have you tried something like the M2000? The Mirage appears to run better than the Mig 21 for example?!