Flashing TD box - What does it mean?

SilentBob

on an F-15 (and on the russian A/C too I think) I sometimes get a flashing TD box and a few seconds after that I lose lock. is there a way to avoid this? the Eagles are very quick to lose lock making it almost impossible to use F-poles and such ivasive moves.

SB

** image removed by moderator **

System Specs:

intel Core i7 2600K, nVidia GTX580 ,8GB x1333 MHz RAM ,Win 7 ultimate 64bit, LG FLATRON W24553v 24" Monitor. MSFF 2 stick (yeah, it sucks).

I think this usually means the guy you're targetting is starting to notch/turn around thus disrupting your radar's "doppler shift" making you lose lock, you'll probably notice this happening at long to medium range. You can kind of avoid this in the russian birds by having both radar and EOS activated at the same time whilst in BVR mode, as soon as the lock is broken via radar the EOS (hopefully) will keep the lock.

Not a flashing TD box, but a flashing target symbol maybe? If thats the case, it means the target is going out of gymbal limits or out the top/bottom of the scan zone. Adjust hdg left/right, or scan zone up/down. Something like that.

is it possible to change your scan zone while you're locked on a target?

SB

** image removed by moderator **

System Specs:

intel Core i7 2600K, nVidia GTX580 ,8GB x1333 MHz RAM ,Win 7 ultimate 64bit, LG FLATRON W24553v 24" Monitor. MSFF 2 stick (yeah, it sucks).

I think this usually means the guy you're targetting is starting to notch/turn around thus disrupting your radar's "doppler shift" making you lose lock, you'll probably notice this happening at long to medium range. You can kind of avoid this in the russian birds by having both radar and EOS activated at the same time whilst in BVR mode, as soon as the lock is broken via radar the EOS (hopefully) will keep the lock.

Sorry, how exactly is this done?

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Sorry, how exactly is this done?

It does it atomically once you are in range of the IRST. If you loose radar lock and the IRST can pick up the target then you’ll switch seamlessly to an IR lock. This is why anyone flying Russian fighters has to maintain an awareness of exactly when the radar fails to maintain its illumination of the target. Even when the radar relocks your SARH missile has most likely gone ballistic and you still wont be in IR missile range. HUD symbols on the left center are T for IR and N for radar (CCM mode then radar symbol is P)

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Not a flashing TD box, but a flashing target symbol maybe? If thats the case, it means the target is going out of gymbal limits or out the top/bottom of the scan zone. Adjust hdg left/right, or scan zone up/down. Something like that.

Nope that's wrong, today while flying I noticed this and the target wasn't near the gymbal limits. He was doing exactly what 169th Mustang said, this happen while I was flying the 15. I haven't noticed it in the Russian jets, I guess next time I fly 1 I'll pay more attention to it.