Belsimtek Magnificent Mi-8 is true to it's name

There are no words in my lexicon that can convincingly do this helicopter model justice ... but first I'd like to thank all the posters who unknowingly and knowingly eroded my resistance to purchasing this module; you have my deepest gratitude.

Helicopters have always inspired me. As a young man I read Robert Mason's "Chickenhawk", my copy a librarian's nightmare, scuffed, dirty and torn via repeat rereads and being shoved in a pack mixing it up with the detritus of rat-packs, cam cream, insect repellent (it works but the shite rots your greens and destroys paperbacks) and I viewed the pilots and crew of the choppers that dropped me off someplace and picked me up from other places, as a special and loftier breed of men. I have a deep respect and an unbounded admiration for those crew.

To this day the sound of rotors (especially the slap from a Huey) evokes an emotion that is difficult to describe, more so that it is deeply personal.

Then along the way during a stint in civie street modernity tugged my elbow and I bought my first computer; a Commodore 64 with SubLogic's Flight Simulator on it.

I practiced for hours, trying to wrap my head around VOR's, TACAN, NDB's; I was hooked because here was something that allowed me to learn a bit about what it might be like, to experience a bit what a pilot might feel.

Fast forward to NOW, DCS and the 2 Belsimtek modules ... the Huey and the Hip; the former a blast from the past ... the latter a chance to make the acquaintance of one from the *other* side. This is probably as close to heaven as I'm likely to get.

Belsimtek, you are veritable module building gods! The Mi-8 especially (I know it's more mature) flies VERY convincingly, the immersion for me is INCREDIBLE. I don't know how to handle her systems yet but by golly I'm gonna study these manuals like I've never studied before.

With gratitude,

Edited by Teapot
  • Like 1

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Mi is probably my favorite helo in DCS :). Despite obvious situation on the manual, which deserves all the criticism in my opinion, it is still one of the very best DCS modules in my opinion. Also, Belsimtek seem to have got the memo, and adopted a more complete early release policy, with F-5's manuals already out before release, I went ahead and got their MiG-15 too finally.

Not even the Kamov makes one feel the POOWEEEERRR uuunlimited engine POWEEERR like the Mi-8 in my opinion :).

Now I am anxiously waiting for them to add necessary bits and turn the Magnificent 8, into even more magnificent Hind, and hopefuly follow with a Cobra/Super Cobra :D.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

For sure she is the premier chopper in DCS, already the amount of detail put into this module is second to none and she is still a work in progress!

The MI-8 is a module that Belsimtek should be very proud of.... I love it.

When I want a break from the Gazelle, this is what I jump into.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I couldn't agree more. The Mi-8 is by far the most realistic "feeling" helicopter flight sim I have ever experienced. Belsimtek is way ahead of the rest of the pack in terms of simulating helicopter flight IMHO.

I their F-5 is going to be anywhere close to their F-86, I will not be regretting my pre-purchase one bit. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Mi-8 is by far the most realistic "feeling" helicopter flight sim I have ever experienced.

Psssst... Teapot... this bloke flys whirlybirds for real... so I don't think you bought a clunker this time...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Psssst... Teapot... this bloke flys whirlybirds for real... so I don't think you bought a clunker this time...

Hehe I gathered that might've been the case. Indeed I've grown to value AG-51_Razor's opinions highly with regard to helicopter flying in DCS (Thanks Razor! :thumbup:).

I should mention Cidbit too while I'm at it; great flying on his YT channel and you Msalama sir, ever the voice of reason! :D

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Hehe I gathered that might've been the case. Indeed I've grown to value AG-51_Razor's opinions highly with regard to helicopter flying in DCS (Thanks Razor! :thumbup:).

I should mention Cidbit too while I'm at it; great flying on his YT channel and you Msalama sir, ever the voice of reason! :D

Heheh ... I´ve never had the chance to get some real experience with real choppers but I always thought that the Mi-8 was the one which felt closest to the real thing - closely followed by the Huey.

Love both of this choppers but the Blackshark I hardly ever fly.

I was quite skeptical when buying Mi-8. Transport chopper... doesn't sound like a lot of fun - I was thinking. How wrong I was :) At the moment its my most favorite module in DCS. It's one that gives a pure satisfaction and requires to stay focused on flying it - or at least trying not to crash at the beginning :).

The campaign is also great and highly immersive. I would love to see another one.

Overall I highly recommend this module - must have for DCS.

I still need to learn to do this:

[ame]

[/ame]

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Not even the Kamov makes one feel the POOWEEEERRR uuunlimited engine POWEEERR like the Mi-8 in my opinion :)

Whoa. One of the main reasons I fly the KA-50 is the gobs of excess power it has. Is the Mi-8 actually comparable? (I'm looking at getting it soon)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I think for me the most incredible thing about this module is in the self preservation and defence combat role.

The feeling that you must land and drop off troops or supplies at waypoint D... they just need that stuff so bad.... temperature is hot and altitude is high but you just gotta get that delivery into the hot LZ.

You got one rocket pod per side and knowledge of the targeting sight and how to use it to range the target is paramount.

temperature is hot and engines will pop if landing is slowed or delayed.

stress and instruments become your world

Hip 2.0 is simply magnificent.... it is beyond sim.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Have to say i was a day one buy on this module. Now im just really getting into it and man why did i wait so long. This is SIM this is Real should be the slogan. Amazing job Fellas and seeing this pit in 3d just makes you realize how big of a monster she is!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

The module that IMHO provides the most satisfaction during and after completion of missions. This is real simulation experience at its best. I have/ had them all........thunderhawk, commanche , Janes longbow, all MSFS, all X planes, take on heli.....and more. This module however even outclasses other DCS helis. I am very fortunate to have flown helis in real life as well as a vast amount of military training sims too. So take it from me.....this is the BOMB.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
There are no words in my lexicon that can convincingly do this helicopter model justice ... _With gratitude,

Colleagues, we are very pleased to read that you have seen and appreciated our work:)!

With the Release of the DCS: Mi-8 in addition to the bugs fix, add doorgunner and other features awaits you a complete description of the Systems of hels and Procedures, in style as in the MiG-15 Flight Manual!

Perhaps English (in describe the Systems) will not be very good, but I think - will be understandable:))

Colleagues, we are very pleased to read that you have seen and appreciated our work:)!

With the Release of the DCS: Mi-8 in addition to the bugs fix, add doorgunner and other features awaits you a complete description of the Systems of hels and Procedures, in style as in the MiG-15 Flight Manual!

Perhaps English (in describe the Systems) will not be very good, but I think - will be understandable:))

Really looking forward to these upcoming additions. It's been awhile since I've flown the Mi-8 but I did enjoy her very much and look forward to getting back into her again! Thanks for the update.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria