F-5E 360 cockpit

Knock-Knock

I already posted it down in a Military and Aviation thread, but figured it would feel right at home here too, so we can sit and pretend we are flying it :).

A nicely powered up F-5 360 degree cockpit:

http://www.virtualpanorama.ch/tigercockpit/

• Like 4

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thanks for sharing, very nice!

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Why is it upside down?

Southern hemisphere? :D

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

nice

Its just about the same , except for the Swiss AF comms panel being modernized.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. Anyone else noticed how the ADI is upside down? I wish Belsimtek would simulate that but they never care sad.gif

Why is it upside down? And why we never care?

I think they're referring to the way some countries seem to use a dark area to indicate 'above the horizon' (sky) on the ADI while the light area indicates 'below the horizon' (ground). As opposed to the US (and lots of others) that use a light colour (usually blue) to indicate the area above the horizon and a dark colour (usually brown) below it.

This aircraft is obviously quite a bit upgraded and modified compared to the F-5E-3 - radio panels in the centre (+ VHF radio), and the right panel seems to house some kind of navigation system so presumably it has an INS and/or GPS. So I'm not sure why Manuel would assume "our" ADI should be the same as the one in that aircraft. Or maybe they just want it as an option for some reason?

Going a bit off topic, but I found this post which has a picture of the modernized Brazillian F-5EM glass cockpit, with a pic of the original cockpit below it. Pretty neat.

Oops. Sorry Belsimtek, I didn't look closely enough. Haven't seen such a weird ADI until now, looks counter intuitive. Me saying that you don't care was due to a feature which I think is missing from the Huey module. While the real ADI "drifts off" after shutdown and wiggles itself into position after energizing, yours seems to be perfectly still when starting from cold and dark so I gathered that it would be the same on the F-5E, as seen in the preview video. My bad, let's wait and see.

Edited by Manuel_108

I think they're referring to the way some countries seem to use a dark area to indicate 'above the horizon' (sky) on the ADI while the light area indicates 'below the horizon' (ground). As opposed to the US (and lots of others) that use a light colour (usually blue) to indicate the area above the horizon and a dark colour (usually brown) below it.

This aircraft is obviously quite a bit upgraded and modified compared to the F-5E-3 - radio panels in the centre (+ VHF radio), and the right panel seems to house some kind of navigation system so presumably it has an INS and/or GPS. So I'm not sure why Manuel would assume "our" ADI should be the same as the one in that aircraft. Or maybe they just want it as an option for some reason?

Going a bit off topic, but I found this post which has a picture of the modernized Brazillian F-5EM glass cockpit, with a pic of the original cockpit below it. Pretty neat.

Is this correct? I ask because the back-up ADI is "correct", but is in the exact opposite position from the main ADI.

Frisco1522

Well, both the primary and standby ADI are off/inoperative, so I'm not sure how much should be read into them. The stranger part to me is the lack of visible pitch markings on the primary ADI, but maybe they become visible when it's uncaged?

If other countries do indeed flip the colors of the ADI that could get really ugly for a western pilot in IFR! LOL.

That being said I think the ADI may have just tumbled upside down with the gyro being off and no power applied to avionics

If other countries do indeed flip the colors of the ADI that could get really ugly for a western pilot in IFR! LOL.

Worked out where I'd seen it - the MiG-15 actually has this!

Since we're pretty off-topic already I don't want to embed a video and can't work how to link to YouTube without it embedding, but if you search YouTube for "MiG-15 takeoff from Runway 2, KSAF, NM, USA" you'll see someone running through the startup checklist and taking off in a MiG-15. ADI is brown above horizon and blue below it.