Request for pilot sidewindows view limit increase (TrackIR)

Apologies if this has been requested before, but I find the TrackIR view limits in the cockpit for the Hip a bit restrictive, specifically look-down views out the port and starboard windows.

Request to be able to *lean out a bit* on left and right pilot stations to simulate viewpoint available through open window and bubble window.

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Are the blisters on the Mi-8 large enough to do that? Because I do not believe they are mate.

I believe that currently there is no allowance for it at all; the TrackIR limits are too restrictive. I cant even get my virtual head to the frame and it must confer *some* additional advantage :).

Notwithstanding that, when the window is open I should be able to get my vision over the sill a wee bit more.

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

The 1.5.4 OB has a very limiting view ATM but I agree it should be within the cockpit params to look over the window and down a bit, especially as they won't model a bomb sight:megalol:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try LSHFT + LALT + C. This will give you a view straight down as if you have stuck your head out the window and you are looking straight down. While out the window, you can still move your head around via TrackIR. This is about as close to how it really looks when conducting long line verticle reference work! I will tell you that it will take a bit of work/time to get comfortable hovering the machine while in this view but the effort will be hugely rewarded!! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Razor, I'll check that out asap!

Hey Teapot, take a look at these 2 videos made by a pilot that used to work for us a while back. He probably should get into the movie business LOL! Anyway, I picked these 2 because they give you a fairly good view of what it looks like when conducting vertical reference work. Enjoy!

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thoroughly enjoyed both videos Razor! Thanks & subscribed.

That Erickson Skycrane is one awesome helicopter; hard to believe it's lift capability when it lifts that construction digger in the first vid.

Glad you enjoyed them. :thumbup: How did that "out the window" view in the Hip work for you??

IT WORKS!! Hehe.

For some reason it's just started to work after I did the update for stable as I couldn't get it working before; probably just my clutzy fingers. Mapping it js button.

Really hard to control lateral drift. It's only a small amount but constant and when I try to correct it ... mucks it up lol. Haven't tried with a load yet, just picking a reference object and trying to maintain a constant position in hover over it. Any tips?

Edited by Teapot

Sorry, no tips from this duffer! I might get back to you once I get it mastered myself. LOL!! :joystick:

Hehe, I hear you. I'm hoping that when VR matures enough that it'll change how I do my virtual flying. I'm thinking that not having the inner ear provide positional perception queues in sim must be pretty hard.

Talking about duffers, I guess we're all a bit guilty of being one ... I mean, grown supposedly mature men sitting transfixed in front of a PC monitor; daydreaming about glory days :D.

For lateral drift use heading channel and it removes the added worry of rudder inputs, till you get the hang of it. Then tiny incremental trims till you attain desired trim:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LOL!! All this time I have had the wrong controls assigned to the coolie hat on my joystick!! I was using pitch and roll from the Flight Control menu instead of the trim controls located in the Autopilot menu. What a difference that makes!! Thank you Cibit!! I have all four axes assigned now, Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Collective (altitude) to my joystick. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LOL!! All this time I have had the wrong controls assigned to the coolie hat on my joystick!! I was using pitch and roll from the Flight Control menu instead of the trim controls located in the Autopilot menu. What a difference that makes!! Thank you Cibit!! I have all four axes assigned now, Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Collective (altitude) to my joystick. :thumbup:

That's a good idea; I'll be doing that as well.

I was actually curious about beep trims and looking for them has been one of the many tasks I've set myself on the road to Hip mastery.

I've just made another mental note to spend the day just going through your video's Simon, it's likely the fastest way for me to assimilate quality information.

(I probably should stop making mental notes and use a post-it ... not as sharp at remembering details as I used to be :lol:)

Edited by Teapot

Hey Teapot, take a look at these 2 videos made by a pilot that used to work for us a while back. He probably should get into the movie business LOL! Anyway, I picked these 2 because they give you a fairly good view of what it looks like when conducting vertical reference work. Enjoy!

Yes this is what us chopper nuts need in DCS, the ability to truly look around and down. For me it is a must that our track ir limits are expanded.

It will certainly benefit the WWII boys during taxi.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Razor and Cibit for the hints and tips to get me up and running with the Mi-8.

But I must say Belsimtek that I'm NOT a fan of the LSHFT + LALT + C solution for looking out the window. In this day and age of flight simming development the key-press solution is archaic at best and doesn't take advantage of the proprioceptive qualities inherent when using TrackIR.

I use TrackIR and one of these days soon will be using VR. Having to go through a keypress solution which then catapults ones head out the window is very un-natural and provides no natural positional cues to allow fine control of the helicopter.

Maybe the solution is not to apply the virtual harness too tightly? I've never been in a Hip, but I seem to recall that I had more room to move in a Kiowa to look around than I do in the Hip, and the distance between seat and sill look fairly similar.

Edited by Teapot

I doubt TIRs working angles are enough to simulate leaning out of the windows. Either it will loose contact to reflectors/LEDs or one will look out of the window accidentially very often when he just wanted to look down at the collective. For TIR, I like the solution with the keys – just mapped them to HOTAS. The only problem for me is that the window ist’n closed automatically when retracting the head.

VR is an entirely other story, I think.

please note: english isn’t my first language, I‘m still learning. Please feel free to contact me when you think something I wrote is not clear, simply wrong or just should be corrected – thx