F-14 and data link 4C

Banzaiib

"Link 4C is a fighter-to-fighter data link which is intended to complement Link 4A although the two links do not communicate directly with each other. Link 4C uses F-series messages and provides some measure of ECM resistance. Link 4C is fitted to the F-14 only and the F-14 cannot communicate on Link 4A and 4C simultaneously. Up to 4 fighters may participate in a single Link 4C net." (source: http://fas.org/irp/program/disseminate/tadil.htm)

So... will this be modeled in the Leatherneck version of the A and B? The F-14D was upgraded to Link 16, which would be sooooo sweet!

"Link 4C is a fighter-to-fighter data link which is intended to complement Link 4A although the two links do not communicate directly with each other. Link 4C uses F-series messages and provides some measure of ECM resistance. Link 4C is fitted to the F-14 only and the F-14 cannot communicate on Link 4A and 4C simultaneously. Up to 4 fighters may participate in a single Link 4C net." (source: http://fas.org/irp/program/disseminate/tadil.htm)

So... will this be modeled in the Leatherneck version of the A and B? The F-14D was upgraded to Link 16, which would be sooooo sweet!

Probably is a safe bet to say yes.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Probably is a safe bet to say yes.

Translation: Maybe, we don't know.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Any news on this? Since we saw the F18 datalink, I'd like to learn more about the F14 version of it.

Bluntly put, there's no F-14 version of it as the link modelled for the F/A-18C is Link 16.

Our current Link 4 implementation is purely on our side atm, the fighter to fighter link is only between F-14s anyhow.

In regards to Link 4A the integration would be via a datalink controller like an AWACS or a surface ship. I'm not that read up on how much of the Link 4 functionality remains in a Lot 20 F/A-18C, maybe it's only the ACLS functionality?

It's true that an AWACS or surface datalink controller could resend Link 16 information over Link 4 and that's something that could possibly be implemented in the future depending on how the F/A-18C datalink is implemented.

That said, our Link 4A works nicely but it's a one-way datalink from a data link controller to the F-14.

So whats the range on the Link 4 system?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Bluntly put, there's no F-14 version of it as the link modelled for the F/A-18C is Link 16.

Our current Link 4 implementation is purely on our side atm, the fighter to fighter link is only between F-14s anyhow.

In regards to Link 4A the integration would be via a datalink controller like an AWACS or a surface ship. I'm not that read up on how much of the Link 4 functionality remains in a Lot 20 F/A-18C, maybe it's only the ACLS functionality?

It's true that an AWACS or surface datalink controller could resend Link 16 information over Link 4 and that's something that could possibly be implemented in the future depending on how the F/A-18C datalink is implemented.

That said, our Link 4A works nicely but it's a one-way datalink from a data link controller to the F-14.

Pardon my ignorance, but that means the AWACS in DCS will contribute to the Link 4A? In other words, I'll be able to see tracks created by both other F-14's and E-2's in a multiplayer server?

Edited by Banzaiib

Pardon my ignorance, but that means the AWACS in DCS will contribute to the Link 4A? In other words, I'll be able to see tracks created by both other F-14's and E-2's in a multiplayer server?

Partially, only one side of the link 4 can be used at a time. If using A, you see what the AWACS or Carrier sees depending on what the 14 is assigned to. If using C, you only see what the aircraft on the same network use. But not both at the same time. Add to that that Link 4 C is only compatible with other Tomcat's and not other aircraft such as the 18.

The Link 4A in our F-14 gets linked the tracks that the current datalink controller sees on it's own radar.

IRL the datalink controller would be able to select what tracks to send and also resend other aircraft and hosts tracks in addition to own.

This is not something we're currently modelling.

In Wags video he was receiving data from F-15s via Link 4...

Is the Link 4 in the F-14 a different version, and unable to send data to the F-18?

The datalink in both aircrafts are the Link 4A which only communicates with one controller, an AWACS or surface ship. The F-14 also has Link 4C which is fighter to fighter which the F/A-18C doesn't have as it has Link 16.

So currently our datalink either shows a Link 4A hosts own tracks or up to three other F-14s tracks in Link 4C. The F-14 has to choose either 4A or 4C as it can't use both at the same time.

If and when a more advanced datalink API is available we'd be happy to implement it of course.

In Wags video he was receiving data from F-15s via Link 4...

Is the Link 4 in the F-14 a different version, and unable to send data to the F-18?

AFAIK, no, but the F-15 would be an AI unit and the data link is most likely simplified.

TADIL C = Link 4A and TADIL J = Link 16

a404334.pdf

TADIL J - Introduction To Tactical Digital Information Link J and Quick Reference Guide

... includes example mixed network diagrams, if I understand correctly, the F-14A/B can share data via a AWACS or C2 vessel with a F-18 and vice versa.

c. TADIL C Characteristics.

TADIL C uses a command and response protocol and the principle of time division multiplexing to derive apparently simultaneous channels from a given frequency. It connects two points (or units) by assigning a sequence of discrete time intervals to each of the individual channels. At any given time, a unit transmits, receives, or idles on a single point-to-point circuit.

TADIL C is the USN primary air intercept control (AIC) tool, as well as the basis for the automatic carrier landing system. A major capability of TADIL C is the ability to receive and display targets downlinked by fighter aircraft from beyond the controlling unit’s radar horizon.

TADIL C also has the ability to uplink targets from the controlling unit to the fighter aircraft and provides target-vectoring data to the fighter aircraft. TADIL C is used on both USN surface combatants and E-2C AEW aircraft. Both may act as controlling units.

The TADIL C system provides the TADIL J operator/user with the means to conduct AIC operations with non-TADIL J-capable aircraft. The TADIL C interface between the advanced combat direction system (ACDS)/command and decision system and the command and control processor (C2P) allows TADIL C host software to conduct TADIL J air control operations.

AFAIK, the Link 4C, Fighter to Fighter data link, only works with other F-14s

For a better general understanding of data links (Link 16) ...

Northrop Grumman's "Understanding_Voice+Data_Link_Networking.pdf"

... seems good, though it covers newer systems (Link 11, 16 and 22).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Should be the same as radio range. Runs on VHF I think?

Is radio range actually modled in DCS?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Should be the same as radio range. Runs on VHF I think?

Similar, at least. Whether VHF or UHF, we're talking line-of-sight here, anyhow, especially with fighters at altitude. Barring some mountain deciding to sit in the way, it's not going to be an enormous issue with other aircraft in theater while they're up and moving. Down low or on the ground, on the other hand, may have issues talking to other low aircraft.

Not knowing the particulars of the Link 4C implementation, depending on the encoding, it may be a bit better than analog due to error correction, or it could be worse due to noise-floor/SNR requirements if there's little or no error correction.

Does anybody have any documentation on the RF implementation?

Is radio range actually modled in DCS?

Radio range and line of sight is implemented. I tried that a couple of years ago, playing with the different radios in the MI-8. If you contact an ATC at your maximum radio range you can hear him only quietly(not sure if there also was some static sounds, can't remember), if it's to far away you get no response and if you fly in a valley with some mountains blocking the LoS to the airfield on the other side of the mountains you can't contact ATC even though you are within radio range.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Radio range and line of sight is implemented. I tried that a couple of years ago, playing with the different radios in the MI-8. If you contact an ATC at your maximum radio range you can hear him only quietly(not sure if there also was some static sounds, can't remember), if it's to far away you get no response and if you fly in a valley with some mountains blocking the LoS to the airfield on the other side of the mountains you can't contact ATC even though you are within radio range.
Correct

Radio range and line of sight is implemented.

Works as described above.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Cool, hopefully the link 4 system has similar "issues".

• 3 weeks later...

Basic question. How do we set AWCAS data link frequency to the AWCAS in the mission editor? Thanks.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

• 10 months later...

Please, telle me more ?

HI everyones,

i'm coming back to you for a question about the TADIL-C. DO you confirm that , in Heatblur's F-14B, the TADIL-C is limited to 4 planes ?

signature%20giat%203rd.jpg

"Si je disposais de six heures pour abattre un arbre, je consacrerais les quatre premières heures à aiguiser ma hache. " Abraham LINCOLN