MiG 29S HUD & HDD display the same thing

Hi guys,

Noticed that the HUD & HDD on the MiG 29S display the exact same thing. Example, while in the NAV mode, a SU27's HUD would show the heading circle while the HDD would show the waypoint routes but in the MiG 29S, what you see on the HUD is exactly the same as what you see on the HDD...the same's true for other modes like BVR etc. Is this a bug or an oversight?

:helpsmilie:

|| नभ स्पर्शं दीप्तम् || - Touch the sky with glory

It is the HUD repeater. Not a bug.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

because backup, nothing more

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Am inclined to take my previous comment back. MiG 29 KICKS ASS! Despite of no data link, I find it better than the Su 27. Perhaps, the capability of carrying R-77s has something to do with it, but boy! it's light and nimble! :)

Compared to the Su-27, the MiG-29 is or has:

1. Better turn rate.

2. A better medium range A-A missile: the R-77.

3. Fewer hard points = fewer missiles carried.

4. A smaller profile so it's more difficult to detect visually and by radar.

5. A horribly minuscule fuel capacity.

6. No datalink or true HDD

7. A smaller diameter radar antennae, so shorter detection range against all targets.

8. The MiG-29S has an internal ECM set which the Su-27 does not.

A well piloted MiG-29 can be an absolute terror in WVR fights, but in reality it's heavily dependant on GCI and is really little more than a very good point defence fighter.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

1. Better turn rate.

7. A smaller diameter radar antennae, so shorter detection range against all targets.

A well piloted MiG-29 can be an absolute terror in WVR fights, but in reality it's heavily dependant on GCI and is really little more than a very good point defence fighter.

An internal ECM? Is this modeled in DCS? If yes, then how do I tell that its on? Is it any good?

Hi guys,

Noticed that the HUD & HDD on the MiG 29S display the exact same thing. Example, while in the NAV mode, a SU27's HUD would show the heading circle while the HDD would show the waypoint routes but in the MiG 29S, what you see on the HUD is exactly the same as what you see on the HDD...the same's true for other modes like BVR etc. Is this a bug or an oversight?

:helpsmilie:

Detailed explanations in this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=158228

...and I think it's gonna be even nicer once it get's an FM update! :thumbup:

Yes, the "Professional Flight Model" for the MiG-29 which is much awaited for many people.

Presently it has the old "Standard Flight Model"... and gives the MiG unrealistic behavior, as it has very poor Turn Rate and acceleration.

1. Better turn rate.

There it is. Absolutely right!

It was somewhat a disappointment for me that DCS never correct this since the LOMAC times.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Detailed explanations in this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=158228

Yes, the "Professional Flight Model" for the MiG-29 which is much awaited for many people.

Presently it has the old "Standard Flight Model"... and gives the MiG unrealistic behavior, as it has very poor Turn Rate and acceleration.

There it is. Absolutely right!

It was somewhat a disappointment for me that DCS never correct this since the LOMAC times.

I think I read somewhere here that ED are working on the PFM for MiG29S...well +1 to the ones eagerly waiting for it...am in absolute awe of this bird...plz ED, give us the PFM soon!

An internal ECM? Is this modeled in DCS? If yes, then how do I tell that its on? Is it any good?

Due to the MiGs weaker radar its ECM is not as good as the Su27 and F-15.

The MiG also has

*much less countermeasures

*a fixed EOS with smaller scan limits than the Flanker

*much less fuel (but you can operate at 90-95% throttle just fine)

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

....but in reality it's heavily dependant on GCI and is really little more than a very good point defence fighter.

These two statements are contradictory. The real MiG-29 does have a datalink otherwise it would not be able to connect to GCI - it just doesn't have fighter-to-fighter/AWACS capability.

The problem is that there is no GCI in the sim and therefore the associated GCI datalink regime isn't modelled for the MiG-29 radar.

Due to the MiGs weaker radar its ECM is not as good as the Su27 and F-15.

ECM is a separate system and transmits via waveguides in the wingtips - it has nothing to do with the radar.

Besides, the MiGs N019 radar has the same emitter power as the N001(Su-27) - what makes it "weaker" is the size of the antenna.

It is supposed to get a cool datalink called "Lazur" (or something close to that, varies), it uses ground radar stations (perhaps AWACS? Ive heard conflicting things) to show the locations of enemies and control some parts of the Radar. I hope it comes in when the MiG is finished. If it does, it will make the MiG scary dangerous as a short range interceptor.

Edited by TheFurNinja

In-Game Handle: Lutrafisk

She/Her

These two statements are contradictory. The real MiG-29 does have a datalink otherwise it would not be able to connect to GCI - it just doesn't have fighter-to-fighter/AWACS capability.

The problem is that there is no GCI in the sim and therefore the associated GCI datalink regime isn't modelled for the MiG-29 radar.

Yes you're right, I should have said that it's a GCI-only datalink and doesn't have the aircraft - aircraft capability that the one in the Su-27 has.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

ECM is a separate system and transmits via waveguides in the wingtips - it has nothing to do with the radar.

Besides, the MiGs N019 radar has the same emitter power as the N001(Su-27) - what makes it "weaker" is the size of the antenna.

Nice to know that.

Although I'm not an ECM "expert", I was also thinking how could it be related to the radar.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Yes poor wording on my behalf, I meant due to the radars on these aircraft ECM effectivness is not as good.

Radars rely on ECCM to counter ECM this comes in the form of radar transmission power in DCS. The transmission power of the radar determines burnthrough range, the MiGs radar is weaker in this regard than the Flankers radar therefore the Flanker burns through the MiG ECM before the MiG burns through the Flankers to the tune of 12km.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

If find this to make a massive difference. As a MiG-29 I get seen less, and I find myself getting the drop on F-15 pilots a lot more than I do in the Su-27.

Also no point in the Su-27's extra payload if you can't use it due to being dead. Just my experience with the two.

If find this to make a massive difference. As a MiG-29 I get seen less, and I find myself getting the drop on F-15 pilots a lot more than I do in the Su-27.

Also no point in the Su-27's extra payload if you can't use it due to being dead. Just my experience with the two.

This is a fallacy, the difference is so small it is negligible (not even 1km difference when cold), visually the MiG leaves a dark smoke trail.

When it comes to fighting air quake the MiGs failings are not so easy to see but when it comes to controlling airspace it soon becomes apparent why one is classed an air superiority aircraft and the other is not.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

This is a fallacy, the difference is so small it is negligible

In fact, it´s not a small difference at all. True thing is that in the air this is not relevant.

visually the MiG leaves a dark smoke trail.

Only the earlier versions.

it soon becomes apparent why one is classed an air superiority aircraft and the other is not.

A MiG-29 will out-turn, out-climb and out-accelerate a Su-27 and a F-15.

Well...all the versions in DCS do. Which he was referencing.

We don´t reference super mega awesome MiG-35s with new, less smokey engines.

The smokey MiG-29 Engines are a commonly known part about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

In fact, it´s not a small difference at all. True thing is that in the air this is not relevant.

If it wasn't a small difference it would be relevant, fact is in DCS it is a very small difference.

A MiG-29 will out-turn, out-climb and out-accelerate a Su-27 and a F-15.

Sorry I don't see the relevance in your replies.

We only have access to earlier versions in DCS and these MiG-29s are not classed as air superiority aircraft.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Well...all the versions in DCS do. Which he was referencing.

We don´t reference super mega awesome MiG-35s with new, less smokey engines.

The smokey MiG-29 Engines are a commonly known part about it.

I allways thought it had to do with engine tuning. When the engines are tuned for peace operations they are more smokey then they are tuned for war operations. It also had to due with higher maintenance when tuned for war.

DCS World, A10C, AV8B, M2k, FA18C, FC3, MIG21