From the Facebook: A-50

wedge_one

Probably it could done much better but just to share a quick and dirty side by side:

diff.jpg.ce2cc4709d9241c1e50518313552aa6b.jpg

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Yeee, so no more than 4-5 weeks of waiting, otherwise it would be "in the coming months"
That's exactly what I thought!:D

I hope the same also, but I am reminded of this...

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

"In the coming weeks" is still a very vague statement and notice there is still no release window, which is understood because Matt has been burned many times, BUT I would love to know his confidence level if it is indeed the coming weeks instead of 2 or 3 months. Just my thoughts.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

@Raven68 it's quite clear, just a joke :) It'll be done when it's ready, let's be prepared that it'll take a while and maybe we'll all get a pleasant surprise :)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

What I am looking up to, is just get a new refreshed height-map for DCS, as now the terrain is little too flat. So no cover, no masking etc. And it is just so serious for the helicopters and ground units as you can't hide and get some cover and concealment.

Even a nice higher resolution terrain height map for area that would offer more dents, and very small hills and such, so that ground units would not be able see 20km distance and shoot straight etc.

Actually, even the current Caucasus map is far from flat, depending on the area you fly. In ground vehicles (Combined Arms) this is very obvious. If you fly low in helicopters (as in really low/NOE) there are a lot of terrain features that work well to mask you.

The real issue is the trees! If the woods start blocking line of sight, and the AI maybe just once in a while doesn't have wizards at there side, showing them your position through some black magic, that would be a game changer. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Probably it could done much better but just to share a quick and dirty side by side:

what a huge difference.

i hate that greenish tint. one of the reasons why I play with ReShade. won't be needed for 2.5!

I'm just gonna leave these here:

Theater_Environment-3.jpg

Theater_Modeling-6.jpg

there're more, but I hope I'm not spoiling anything already :)

Edited by wedge_one
moar screens

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

Actually, even the current Caucasus map is far from flat, depending on the area you fly. In ground vehicles (Combined Arms) this is very obvious. If you fly low in helicopters (as in really low/NOE) there are a lot of terrain features that work well to mask you.

The real issue is the trees! If the woods start blocking line of sight, and the AI maybe just once in a while doesn't have wizards at there side, showing them your position through some black magic, that would be a game changer. ;)

The terrain mesh is too low resolution and causes terrain to be flat.

Even the mountains are flat for helicopters or ground vehicles. 2-4x higher resolution with a noise generation would be needed to add lots of cover from terrain.

Naturally crop fields usually are fairly flat, while rest is full of uneven areas.

And missing trees, rocks, bushes etc are just showing the problems, especially the AI problem you mention but that has been a year or so you can have fixed partially by disabling AI from seeing through Caucasus trees.

And especially in CA and helicopters the flat terrain can be seen, not so much on airplane at above 2-3km altitude.. And everything becomes "around the corner" kind combat between mountains and "seek building" in elsewhere.

A huge help would be just for the start lots of random generated foliage, rocks and trees where map textures so those. IMHO those trees can be just a simple sprite ones like now instead 3D models, as long the LOS is cut and tho effects RADAR and IR emissions.

Then the terrain could almost be like it is now as different size foliage and trees would generate the uneven terrain.

It is just sad that we can't today get a very high terrain mesh without using techniques that ie, ATI (now AMD) presented 15-20 years ago by calculating on fly all the smooth and round forms from polygons. So we could get very nice field curvatures out even mountain ones on their roots.

But just for repeat, the random generated terrain foliage and all sizes would make things far better. So we can cut visibility on and to ground units effectively.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

BUT I would love to know his confidence level if it is indeed the coming weeks instead of 2 or 3 months. Just my thoughts.

2-3 weeks goes in my book to "coming weeks" as we talk only about 8-12 weeks. But 6-18 months is already long time from announcement and especially 2-3 years ;-)

The old grass looks good, but no bushes, no rocks(elsewhere than at airfield) or different size trees and shape well. And lots of them!

Then i would understand to get the terrains caching from 150km to 20-30km when flying at 1-3 km altitude and maybe even just 3-5 km when flying under 1000-1500m.

Isnt the terrain mesh resolution higher on Nevada? Will the 2.5 update bring Caucasus terrain mesh up to the same quality and technology?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm still a bit confused by the update when it comes to caucuses mesh; will 2.5 just bring the capacity to handle higher resolution mesh, or will it actually have the data to produce and experience a higher resolution mesh in game?

Unless Im mistaken Matt only said you would know more in 2-3 weeks, not be able to use it?

Ummm this was said...

In the coming weeks,

not 2-3 weeks, but I do agree we will understand/know more. My expectations are low that we will be able to download it.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

AGREED!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

I really think that ED will make a huge update this month showing new details about the Hornet, DCS 2.5, etc.

Edited by Darkbrotherhood7

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really think that ED will make a huge update this month showing new details about the Hornet, DCS 2.5, etc.

With every passing week, it makes me feel like the last five months of 2016 are going to be increasingly busy, and increasingly news and content rich - 2.5 and all attributed engine and Caucasus improvements, the Hornet, Spitfire, Hormuz, Carrier ops - all have been quietly mentioned from time to time, but the hype train hasn't really left ED's station with any of these yet - There's been some pre-hype by Matt of the Hornet and now 2.5, but nothing meaty... yet. :thumbup:

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what a huge difference.

i hate that greenish tint. one of the reasons why I play with ReShade. won't be needed for 2.5!

I'm just gonna leave these here:

Theater_Environment-3.jpg

Theater_Modeling-6.jpg

there're more, but I hope I'm not spoiling anything already :)

Wohoo, where can I find more? Please tell it.

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals