[RESOLVED]Mouse pointer corruption?

twobells

VR_Blocky_Pointer.jpg

Guys,

I have any annoying problem with the pointer, instead of a single white spot I get the above, my good friend Specter from the 42nd VFG has the exact same rig with exact same drivers yet he does not have this issue, so I'm wondering if an option within DCS has caused the issue...

Any advice would be amazing,

thanks in advance

RESOLVED

FIRST OF ALL, I THINK WE SHOULD THANK SUBSCRIBER 'JaBoG32_Prinzartus' FOR THIS PERFECT FIX.

THIS ISSUE OCCURS ONLY WHEN THE USER RIGHT CLICKS DESKTOP 'PERSONALIZE' THEN 'DISPLAY' AND CHOOSES 'LET ME CHOOSE ONE SCALING LEVEL FOR ALL MY DISPLAYS' AND ONLY IF THE SIZE SELECTED IS ABOVE 125%. IF THE USER SELECTS INSTEAD 'CHANGE THE SIZE OF ALL ITEMS' THE POINTER REMAINS UNAFFECTED, SO THIS IS YET ANOTHER OF THE DREADED 'SCALEABLE FONTS 4K MONITOR ISSUE' SO WELL-KNOWN TO THE 4K USER COMMUNITY.

SO IN CONCLUSION:

REDUCE YOUR FONT SIZE TO NO MORE THAN 125% OR SET YOUR DISPLAY TO 'CHANGE THE SIZE OF ALL ITEMS' UNTIL ED PROVIDES SCALABLE FONTS IN THE VR GUI

I will inform ED of the fix, hopefully, they will incorporate the fix asap as us 4K peeps need our 150% (minimum!)

Edited by twobells
TITLE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

Have you tried a DCS Repair?

It could be the file for the cursor in DCS is corrupted but it's more likely a graphics card glitch so I would update/reinstall your video card drivers.

Also google search for corrupted mouse cursor and I'm sure you'll find some references that others have posted with a similar problem (though they may not be DCS specific).

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Have you tried a DCS Repair?

It could be the file for the cursor in DCS is corrupted but it's more likely a graphics card glitch so I would update/reinstall your video card drivers.

Also google search for corrupted mouse cursor and I'm sure you'll find some references that others have posted with a similar problem (though they may not be DCS specific).

thanks very much!

I'll try repair and then re-install drivers.

Ok, repair didn;t change anything and the corruption was there on the GTX970 AND on my new 1080....strange

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

Have you tried the cursor settings in the Windows Control Panel?

Select the Mouse Control Panel item then the Pointers tab.

Try changing it to a different sprite and see if it changes the result in DCS.

Do you have any MODS installed? Maybe try uninstalling them and see if that changes it.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

this usually happens when hardware cursors encounter issues with GPUs.

I had this happen for years on my AMD 7950. In games and on desktop.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

@TwoBells

Did you do a clean re-install of drivers? Glitches like that are usually down to a hardware issue or overclocking error.

If you are running anything overclocked reset to standard and try again!

I don't understand. Can you elaborate? What's a hardware cursor?

A Windows Cursor that is Rendered using GPU Hardware.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I have the same issue as you Neil, I more often than not get a yellow rectangle as a cursor that elongates as I look further away from the centre. Only happens on DCS 2, I've tried to repair it hasn't helped.

Have you tried the cursor settings in the Windows Control Panel?

Select the Mouse Control Panel item then the Pointers tab.

Try changing it to a different sprite and see if it changes the result in DCS.

Do you have any MODS installed? Maybe try uninstalling them and see if that changes it.

Hey, I tried that with no success I'm afraid. :-(

@TwoBells

Did you do a clean re-install of drivers? Glitches like that are usually down to a hardware issue or overclocking error.

If you are running anything overclocked reset to standard and try again!

Yes, I entered Safe Mode then used the Nvidia Driver Uninstaller after I upgraded to my new Gainward 1080, the weird thing is that the issue occured on both the Gainward 970 AND the 1080!

I do not have my rig overclocked, so the only fix I can now attempt is a clean install of OB and see if that fixes the issue. :-(

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I too have experienced the issue with the yellow splodge suddenly appearing part way through a mission. (Screen shot attached, never had this before in my life), game cursor is perfect at all other times.

Screen_160714_224606.thumb.jpg.3fd6b4711ddb41ca7814ee01cae0d6fb.jpg

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I too have experienced the issue with the yellow splodge suddenly appearing part way through a mission. (Screen shot attached, never had this before in my life), game cursor is perfect at all other times.

My good friend Mith (see above) had a very good suggestion, perhaps the specific 'blocky' issue is Windows 8. His pointer corruption is 'yellow splodge' while mine is the 'blocky, 3 spot corruption (see OP image) He has exactly the same rig, the only difference two things:

1: His card is a EVGA, mine is the Gainward

2: He is running W10 while I'm on 8.1

We are using the same NVidia drivers (Gainward is using the Nvidia reference drivers), the exact same VR headset (OR) and exactly the same HOTAS setup.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I get the yellow splodge and a yellow square, 8.1 with EVGA 980Ti. Run the CPU as fast as I can mind you so maybe it could be OC issue.

Erratic in reproduction but I'd say, on average, it occurs randomly maybe once every 2-4 hours and need to restart game to restore original cursor. Mouse still works though when corrupt graphic..

I discovered that the 'yellow splodge' appears when you hit LATCH ON and at no other time, but that is specific to me, perhaps, for others, something else causes the issue....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll test your theory and report back. I think it happens a lot more frequently for me though!

Once the 'splodge' appears following LATCH ON that's it, until you end the DCS process and restart.

Also, check the colours OF the 'splodge' they seem to match the colours of my aircraft skins, both the fuselage and the markings, in my case yellow, brown and khaki.

Coincidence or something more?

I wonder, perhaps we could test by removing our 'skin' mods, running DCS and testing. Better yet, remove all mods then test perhaps?

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Solution for me:

I changed MS Windows 10 Textsize from 150% back to 125%.

Excellent find!!! Fixed this issue for me as well.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Solution for me:

I changed MS Windows 10 Textsize from 150% back to 125%.

You sir, are a genius and a scholar, I will report this to the devs as a FIX.

EDIT.

First of all, I'd like to thanks subscriber JaBog32 for this amazing fix.

This issue occurs only when the user right clicks desktop 'personalize' then 'display' and selects 'let me choose one scaling level for all my displays' and only then if the size selected is above 125%, If the user selects instead 'change the size of all items' the pointer remains unaffected.

So in conclusion:

Reduce your font size to no more than 125% or set your display to 'change the size of all items' until ED provides scalable fonts in the VR GUI.

Edited by twobells

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For your information the fix is not applicable to me.

I never had "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" selected and I run "Change the size of all items" as the smallest setting available. 2560x1440 resolution on the monitor.

I'll continue testing and when I get a second I'll try setting a common scaling setting less than 125% with that option selected...

For your information the fix is not applicable to me.

I never had "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" selected and I run "Change the size of all items" as the smallest setting available. 2560x1440 resolution on the monitor.

I'll continue testing and when I get a second I'll try setting a common scaling setting less than 125% with that option selected...

AH, okay, we need to qualify the subject header, this fix is in relation to the OP, NOT the so-called 'yellow splodge', the fix is for the sort of corruption as shown in the OP image.

We will continue seeking a cure for the Dreaded Lesser Yellow Splodge. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]