VR view needs some restriction

jay43

As the tittle really but has anyone else noticed that you can stick your view through the cockpit glass, not sure if its been reported but one should not really be able lean over an glance out over the edge and look down outside of the confines of the cockpit.

Is this a bug or have i missed a setup point can't seem to find anything please delete if its already known.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

No, I don't think so! It is actually pretty cool to step out of your chair and walk around the aircraft - if the length of your HMD cable permits.

Also, you really have to lean quite a lot to get out of bounds. My natural movements are normally well within the cockpit.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

That's not new to VR. That's always been possible...I know TrackIR would do it...pretty sure keyboard and mouse did it as well.

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

No, I don't think so! It is actually pretty cool to step out of your chair and walk around the aircraft - if the length of your HMD cable permits.

Also, you really have to lean quite a lot to get out of bounds. My natural movements are normally well within the cockpit.

That is not the question. Read what he reports. Being able to lean out through cockpit glass is wrong! Nuff said

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can restrict your view by placing a plank either side of your seat at head height. Position it petrfectly, and you'll bang your head against the cockpit canopy sides.

A simple fix for a bug, and the guys who like to be a little more nomadic are still happy too!

• Like 1

And how am I supposed to lean out of the side of my mustang with my canopy open whilst I taxi if it gets restricted!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems that one has already installed the planks. But you shouldn't use too many...

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

And how am I supposed to lean out of the side of my mustang with my canopy open whilst I taxi if it gets restricted!

Obviously when canopy closed you should not be able to stick your head through it, but when canopy is open you can lean over an out to your hearts content.

Same applies to the Helo's you can stick your head out through an open window as they do cool, but at mach 1 at 15000 ft in an F15C one should not be able to lean out of window to check 6 or even any aircraft at speed and altitude its just not real.

My natural movements are within the boundaries but i noticed this whilst in a dog fight, whilst twisting an turning to check six IRL the pilots grab onto handles and palm on side of cockpit to aid in their twisting to get a better picture of the target.

Even in the A10c over flying a target area and not having to bank to get a picture by just leaning out over the edge through the canopy kind of kills the immersion factor.

Not to mention the advantage over TIR users how many of them can twist their view outside of the cockpit not many cause you still need to be looking at a screen the Rift screen is always where your'e looking.

On the flip side all the servers that are blocking external views are now void cause i can stand up through the canopy look all round me to get SA am i the only one that sees the flaw in this.

All i'm saying is it needs to be restricted with the canopy closed which is how it should be.

System Spec.

I think it'd be disorienting to have the view stop tracking suddenly. I vote against setting view limits.

Perhaps if the sim makes an appropriate sound to let you know that your head just hit the canopy. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think it'd be disorienting to have the view stop tracking suddenly. I vote against setting view limits.

Is this not a simulation that strives to be as near to RL as possible with plausible data, so its quite natural is it to move your head beyond whats humanly possible.

I started this topic as i felt it was a bug to not be able to stick my head through the cockpit glass, with the cockpit open i get it thats obvious that was the first thing i tried i was blown away i wanted a ground crew to shout at, but when its closed should it not be closed and solid.

TIR had a boundary, VR needs a boundary, TIR now gets a warning pop up when tracking is lost another boundary for TIR, yet the tracking is so good with the Rift i can lean out an look all around which means all servers that lock external views are void for VR users the rules no longer apply.

Seriously does nobody else see this as a issue there are bigger issues at the moment but this is something that needs consideration for the future.

System Spec.

The Issue with Restrictions is it will cause positional/rotational desync which will make people sick,

However, the only real way to constantly stick you head out thru the canopy is to over aggressively lean/move chair/stand up and walk around.

if you have a VR headset and strive for realisim, strap yourself to your chair and you'll likely solve that problem. or build a padded cardboard box canopy for like $5.

Being able to lean out the canopy for all the tail draggers makes taxi-ing easier.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Perhaps if the sim makes an appropriate sound to let you know that your head just hit the canopy. ;)

That would work perfect if thats the easiest just do that or a pop up message like TIR, saying Human Limitation Reached either of those would be enough.

System Spec.

of make it so if your head tracks outside the canopy above a specific speed you die... lol

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

of make it so if your head tracks outside the canopy above a specific speed you die... lol

Thanks Skate quality lol finally a sensible answer from a moderator exactly what i was looking for the previous post that is about rotational dsync i get that fully case closed.

So just a pop up message then, the wife already thinks i look like a nob wearing it women they just don't understand, so a card board canopy is out of the question it will be open season on me.

And no i'm not strapped not yet anyway perhaps later for safety lol, but i am sat in a pit which does give me that ability like pilots to pin my knees to the sides and get a little more twist in my body which can push the view out of the cockpit.

Probably just me still finding my boundaries new to VR still a virgin but thanks again Skate for closing it out with an answer that makes perfect sense.

System Spec.

build a padded cardboard box canopy for like $5.

Hmmm... The humiliation and scorn already poured upon me by my wife when I'm wearing my rift couldn't get any worse could it...?

The wife already thinks i look like a nob wearing it women they just don't understand, so a card board canopy is out of the question it will be open season on me.

My wife already told me that when I fly in DCS with my Rift on I look like Stevie Wonder playing piano... Just without the talent, charm, money or dress sense!

stevie-wonder-o.gif GIFSoup

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

cardboard box canopy with spring loaded closing mechanism and mini AC...

Cardboard canopy with a motor mechanism so when you open/close the canopy, it follows suit.

Seriously though, perhaps an option to prevent moving out of the cockpit confines might make sense especially for servers running dog fights.

I can only see it making sense as an option, and not as something hard coded, as the disorientation issue is bound to cause problems otherwise.

They do have Desk/Office Chair Attachments not, to keep you from moving or leaning past a certain distance.

TBH I tried to strap myself in using old racing seat belt mechanism I had left over from decades ago,

Mounted it to my seat, and it stopped my head from going out the Window,

Also tried a large back pack, using the straps w/ the back of the chair between my back and back pack, then tighten straps...

as far as any wife would be concerned, your just hanging the backpack on the chair to keep it off the floor. :-)