Using VR in "pit"

Hawkeye60

I've had my Rift for a week and am loving it!

However, using the mouse or headset to point and click seems to unnatural.

So I decided to try using just the controls in my pit to operate the cockpit.

I've only set up the Gazelle so far. All important flight and combat controls are mapped to my Hotas. All other controls for start up and to prepare the chopper for flight are on panels.

I know my controls very well so it only took a few tries to get comfortable using them by "feel".

I also created a viacom profile for the NADIR even though the controls are mapped to a cougar mfd. I can operate the NADIR either way!

So far I would say it has been a resounding success! Ive done compete start up, flight, combat and landings, without EVER using the pointer.

I may add a nostromo n52 to the pit to have a more comfortable control option sitting next to the throttle.

Anyone else using just the pit controls?

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks for listening

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

While I am still building my pit, I was thinking of making a box with 1 momentary toggle on-off-on switch mapped to left mouse click, 1 rotary knob mapped as scroll wheel and either a small trackball or 4 way switch to move the cursor where its hard to turn your neck to. So basically you would reach for the same switch every time with your left hand, flip it once (it returns to center each time) to turn the cursor on in the center of your view, then look at the switch you want to flip and move the switch again. If its a knob you would reach for the knob instead. I know you could map this to the ministick also, but I like the idea of a dedicated switch and box to reach for.

Miles

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Yeah i to have found myself reaching for my switches an mfcd's purely due to muscle memory they have been in place for quite some time, aslong as i sit in position as before and make sure i have no drinks in the pit made that mistake alread.

Its like a 3rd sense if i look at either mfcd whilst in vr and reach for it i instantly make contact with mine was going to sell them, i think i will hold on to them for now.

Wife still thinks i look an idiot, she won't be saying that when she can play bloody youville with them on lol.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Whenever I start binding things for a new aircraft, and for vr, I spend a loooong time getting it right before I do too much flying, muscle memory sticks.

My vr sim pit is bare bones as you can imagine it might be, but definitely get a game keypad thing. I have a razer chroma and use it for mainly F1-F12 keys, and a recenter vr view plus the radio button (/). Works a treat.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.