How does a Fighter Jet intercept enemy aircraft?

Crunchy

I have always wondered how a Fighter jet is able to fly to a location and intercept an enemy aircraft? I know with ground targets there's usually a waypoint, but how do they find the target when it's an aircraft they are looking for? Can someone please explain exactly how this is done? Thanks!

Fighters are alerted by ground radar and the closest airfield to the approaching aircraft is scrambled. The pilots are given the last known vectors of the incoming aircraft and they use radar by both AWACS, ground radar, and on board radar to find the incoming bogies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is also a system called GCI - ground controlled intercept, and AWACS aircraft - Airborne Warning and Control - which have powerful radar systems, and crew aboard who co-ordinate and control the air war. They vector aircraft to intercept threats.

Both are simulated in DCS World.

There is also a system called GCI - ground controlled intercept, and AWACS aircraft - Airborne Warning and Control - which have powerful radar systems, and crew aboard who co-ordinate and control the air war. They vector aircraft to intercept threats.

Both are simulated in DCS World.

Both vehicle types are in DCS World, but only bogey dope from the AWACS is simulated.

We don't have anything related to GCI as AI doesn't talk to you in realtime over radio and communicate with you when in combat what the surrounding aircrafts are going to do.

For that we need a human player that cheats by seeing everything F10 world map and can then talk to you by all the data.

4awB6RO.jpg

The GCI isn't just there to give interception vector but as well help you heavily in the dog fight and in stressful environment where you don't have time to look your RWR or there is too much happening around.

It is just a second pair of eyes that can see far more than people believe.

The russian airdoctrine was/is heavily using a GCI and it was fairly unknown strategy for western countries (based to the "Red Eagles, America's Secret MiGs - Steve Davies" book).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The russian airdoctrine was/is heavily using a GCI and it was fairly unknown strategy for western countries (based to the "Red Eagles, America's Secret MiGs - Steve Davies" book).

And we saw, how vulnerable that doctrine was in operation Desert Storm.

The Iraqi Forces used that Russian/ Sovjet doctrine as well in combination with one of the largest and densest radar and anti-aircraft networks in the world - which was heavy limited after the first few hours of war and useless after some days of the air campaign by US led airforces.

The russian did some serious analyses about their hardware after the war and the value of french-built HAS.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Iraqi Forces used that Russian/ Sovjet doctrine as well in combination with one of the largest and densest radar and anti-aircraft networks in the world - which was heavy limited after the first few hours of war and useless after some days of the air campaign by US led airforces.

The russian did some serious analyses about their hardware after the war and the value of french-built HAS.

Desert storm doesn't proof that as there are many things you don't even mention.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You're right, there were a lot of other factors, as well. But a static/ ground based infrastructure is naturally more vulnerable than a dynamic. And has more (tactical/ strategic) limits, such as the horizon/ ground.

There are a lot of GCI radars that were destroyed since WW2. But how much air-based radars (such as AWACS) were destroyed since their use?

Edited by VTJG17_Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know of a Youtube video that shows you how to do this in DCS? Is it AWACS and other pilots talking when they are giving out coordinates from the Bullseye? I've been away from DCS and just started to get back into it. I can't believe I've forgot how to do so many things.

lol The Great Iraqi AD network. I don't know why people still even compare to that. Iranians could launch bombing runs into. For someone else then to compare it after that fact is silly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have always wondered how a Fighter jet is able to fly to a location and intercept an enemy aircraft? I know with ground targets there's usually a waypoint, but how do they find the target when it's an aircraft they are looking for? Can someone please explain exactly how this is done? Thanks!

Does anyone know of a Youtube video that shows you how to do this in DCS?

Here is an example on how it can be done in DCS:

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

In German, but maybe it helps you, as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]