Auto-hover won't work for client in multiplayer.

Schmidtfire

• 4 weeks later...

Description:AP and Auto hover not working in Nevada MP

DCS Version: 2.0.3.55457

Steam: NO

Map: Nevada

SP/MP:MP

Reproducible: Everytime I go to Nevada MP I have the problem. No problems with 1.5.4

Step to Reproduce: Go to MP on Nevada and try to Auto Hover and use Auto Pilot

Track Available: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yk3v0loansvokc/F99TH_COLD%20WAR-20160815-214901.trk?dl=0

Controllers: CH peddals, Stick, X52 Throttle

Mods: English Cockpit by Devrim

Sorry for bad flying in track but you should see I was in the right parameters to engage Autopilot in level flight and Auto Hover at the end.

Just happend to me on the open conflict server for the first time on 1.5.4, thought I goofed the startup somewhere. Sorry no other useful info other then I guess it can happen in either version

I ran into this today as well. Sometimes it worked on open conflict and sometimes it didn't. Im trying to make all my cold starts the same sequence to see if doing something out of order is causing it.

Worked perfectly today in MP for me. Hope you can figure out the reason.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Autohover works great for me too, in MP server (v1.5.4).

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

This isn't just an issue in multi-player. Auto Hover used to work for me, but in recent weeks, I am having significant problems with it. Difficulties engaging it, as well as having it disengage regularly within seconds. My issues occur both in the 1.5 branch as well as the 2.x branch, all in single player. I haven't tried multi-player.

And before anyone asks, it's not an issue of not understanding how to engage it. When I am able to engage it, I can engage it easily, but it disengages within 2 to 10 seconds. At other times, I am unable to engage it at all even though I have met the requirements to engage it. And when it disengages on it's own, the aircraft is not oscillating or moving significantly (which might trigger disengagement).

I first started to notice the issue when I ran the NTTR training mission that shows how to use the HOT3 missiles. It is supposed to start with auto hover engaged (so you can operate as the gunner, not the pilot), but it is not engaged, and I cannot engage it in this mission. So I went to other missions and my own missions and found there are problems with auto-hover in all cases.

I can provide the template of info if needed (but I'm not at my sim computer right now), but more important, my point is, this is happening for me consistently in 1.5 and 2.x (current released versions). Something changed in the last few weeks to make this fail.

Regards,

Michael

Description: Auto Hover will not engage or remain engaged sometimes.

For me, this is due to a noisy analog axis used for the fuel flow lever. But I was also able to create the problem with a very quick press of the PgDn button, but this did not turn on the Alarm light which I believe should happen. See below....

For those that don't know, the real Gazelle has a button on the fuel flow lever that is pressed when the fuel lever is pushed all the way forward. If this button is not pressed, then certain things will not work (e.g. auto hover). DCS Gazelle simulates this button. The main Alarm light should light if this button is not pressed I believe. At least that is what I see most the time in DCS Gazelle. The Dev's will have to verify that maybe. In my case, when having this issue, I was able to create the situation where noise on my analog axis, or very quickly pressing the PgDn button (which I saw actually moved the fuel flow lever) did not cause the Alarm light to go on, but did prevent Auto Hover from working. It may have affected other stuff like some other autopilot modes, but I didn't test that in detail.

In the case of my noisy axis, I could create the case where I could engage auto hover, but due to the noise causing the fuel flow lever to wiggle back and forth slightly, it would disengage auto hover within a few seconds. But the Alarm light would not light to indicate why. It was only when I actually pulled the analog axis lever back a very small amount would I see the Alarm light go on.

Workaround: For those using an analog axis, just add a small amount of "Saturation X" to the axis. I used 95. This creates a deadzone at the top and bottom of the axis, preventing analog noise from causing the fuel flow switch to disengage. For people using the mouse or keyboard to push the lever forward, make sure you have it all the way forward. There is a small window where it is far enough forward to disengage the Alarm light, but still not allow auto hover. Pressing PgUp a couple times should close the gap.

Again, I'll leave it up to the Devs to decide if this is a bug, but it seems to be causing people issues. My suggestion is to open up the window as to what is considered "full forward" on the fuel flow lever to make a little room for a noisy analog axis, or users that don't push it full forward using the mouse or keyboard. I mean, in the real Gazelle, there is probably a small area of play in the lever where the button is engaged even if the lever is wiggled back and forth. Also, you may want to investigate the code regarding the Alarm light not coming on but other stuff failing to work. It is as if there are two "buttons" to indicate if the lever is fully forward.

BTW, regarding my noisy analog axis. The noise put out by this axis (it is a resistive pot on a Saitek Throttle Quadrant) is typical and common for many analog axis on game controllers. In fact, the pot was recently cleaned and lubricated with a fluid designed for making noisy pots clean again and so this pot actually works better than many pots I've seen on game controllers. The noise hasn't been an issue in other sims, but this is the first case where a "switch" at the end of axis travel is effectively "clicked" by the axis when at full travel. Hence why I suggest that maybe the dev's should increase the window (add a dead zone) at the end of travel for the fuel flow lever - to reduce the chance that noisy pots will cause issues. Even though the work around I suggest works fine, making a change might save people frustration. Otherwise, the work around has solved my issue.

Other info from your template:

DCS Version: 1.5.4.55584, 2.0.3.55457

Steam: Not on Steam

Map: Caucaus map on 1.5.4. NTTR on 2.0.3.

SP/MP: Single Player (have not tried multiplayer).

Reproducible: Yes.

Step to Reproduce: See my explanation above....

Screenshot/Video available: I can take screen shots or a movie if desired.

Track Available: I will make availabe if required.

Mission File: It can happen regardless of the mission file.

Controllers: TrackIR. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog throttle used for collective, programmed with custom TARGET Script (stick not used). Microsoft Force Feedback 2 stick used for cyclic. Saitek Throttle Quadrant (2 axis used for Throttle and Rotor brake respectively). Saitek Combat rudder pedals for antitorque. All unused inputs are cleared (to make sure there is no conflicting control input on the same axis from different controllers).

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Gigabypte GTX 1080

Mods: None.

I did some more testing with the new update. No difference.

More importantly, I realized something that should be taken into consideration for improving this issue. The button I referred to above that is clicked when the fuel lever is all the way forward is simulated with an actual click sound. I.e. you should hear a click when the button is pressed or unpressed. Either this is the sound of the button, or the sound of relays clicking when it is actuated. This click coincides with the Alarm light going on or off (and hence the fuel flow governor kicking in or out). But the Auto Hover issue does not engage or disengage with the click. Again, if I just tap the PgDn key quickly enough to move the fuel flow lever (visibly), but not cause the click, the Auto Hover will disengage, but the Alarm light does not light, and there was no click. If I press the PgDn button again quickly (or maybe 3 times quickly), then I hear the click, and the Alarm light goes on.

In the real helicopter, the button controls everything because there is only one button (of course). In the software, I think the effect of the button is being simulated differently by different parts of the software. The auto hover, or auto-pilot functions are simulating the button due to the smallest amount of movement of the fuel lever. The Alarm light and fuel governor is being simulated by different code which also coincides with the click sound. Or something to that effect. Obviously, what ever system generates the click sound should generate a global variable that means one state or the other, and all software affected by this button should go off that global variable.

Forgive me for stating the obvious. Part of my point is, the work around for the user is to add a dead zone at the top (and bottom) of the fuel lever range. Well, going by the click sound and the Alarm light, this was done for the click. But it was not done for the Auto Hover function. Also, it would be best to add a bit more dead zone in the software for the click to occur to make a little more room for noisy pots in analog controls.

Regards,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

The new patch fixes this issue for me. The Alarm light now comes in any case where the throttle lever is not fully forward, and now gives positive feedback as to why Auto Hover or Auto Pilot functions aren't working.

So this means, for those having trouble getting Auto Hover or Auto Pilot features to work, if it is due to the throttle not being pushed all the way forward, or due to a noisy pot on an analog axis which you are using to control the throttle lever, now the main Alarm light will come on when the throttle lever is not all the way forward, or flicker on/off rapidly due to a noisy pot, giving you positive feedback that something is wrong.

Thanks Polychop!

If i want to fly multicrew as a WSO, the pilot can not hover. Even if he is in hoverstate, as soon as i enter, the hovering stops wthout him doing anything. I also have not mapped a single move or collective axis, so there is no way i could steer the chopper at all.

So is this a common fact due to beta, or do we miss something?

You might be missing something.

I've hosted Mission 1 of the campaign as a Coop mission in the SA-342M, whether I was Pilot or WSO (remote player spawned first), whoever was the pilot was able to enter auto-hover.

We both entered the cockpit for the cold start and haven't tried joining in mid flight or swapping controls, so perhaps there's a de-sync there? (different cockpit states, fuel loads, etc.)

I won't be flying the latest build as coop until later this week.

Note: In multi-crew, auto-hover only looks after the cyclic, the pilot *must* keep control of the collective and yaw pedals (unless yaw is slaved to the Viviane).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 month later...
If i want to fly multicrew as a WSO, the pilot can not hover. Even if he is in hoverstate, as soon as i enter, the hovering stops wthout him doing anything. I also have not mapped a single move or collective axis, so there is no way i could steer the chopper at all.

So is this a common fact due to beta, or do we miss something?

I am having this problem as well in 1.5

A friend and I can get hover to work just fine on our own, but if we fly together in the same helo, we can not achieve auto-hover.