VR questions

drz400dude

I was thinking of going VR instead of 4k as it would no doubt make it feel more real, but my concern was what happens when I have to look down to use my keyboard, OSBs, or anything like that. Has anyone found this to be an issue, or so you just get used to where things are?

Yes it is an issue atm. You can peek through the nose gap but that's not that much.

My mouse use is significantly increasing since I use the oculus.

If you place the mfcd panels to the same position as they are in game, then you can use them quiet good.

But after a week I am used to it. Waiting now for a hand tracking solution ;)

I've packed my MFDs away. Even with the Leap Motion in passthrough mode, I can't make out enough detail on them to operate them - and having to Alt-Tab between DCS and Visualizer is also a pain.

Voice commands are the saviour here. Yes you lose some immersion, but you regain control without delay :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

setup your pit to mimic the distance inside vr. Muscle memory is amazing thing you wont be expert at first but continue training you will push buttons on your keyboard if needed or especially the cougar mfd's.

Worked well in my DK2 days, remember most Military and pilots can do most mundane tasks blind folded...

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

With the Rift you can peak through the nose gap, that's not very usable but doable. With the Vive you can use the front cam to draw or see your surroundings keyboard, button boxes etc, it can be a hassle software-wise (or not).

If you know your HOTAS and button boxes you should find the right button easily enough after some time. Much like many are hardly looking at their keyboard when typing other than finding the first few keys to place your hands & fingers. With clever keyboard, hotas and button boxe's bindings I found I didn't need to take my Vive off. Finding the mouse was funny though, as it's always moving around (where you left it).

With 4K you go the route of exceptional image clarity (compared to 1080p) and normal immersion. With VR you go the route of exceptional immersion and sub-par image clarity (compared to 1080p). If you planned on going 4K you probably are loving a high definition experience. If you can, try before you buy VR, it is absolutely awesome and for the most part usable but the resolution is still quite low and not even in the same league of 1080p, much less 4K. ^^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you are not already using a 4K setup then the resolution of the Rift will be less of a problem I think. I went from flying on a 1080p 32inch TV to the Rift and the drop in resolution didn't seem terrible. I could never go back to flying on a flat screen now. The Rift has it's limitations and challenges for a DCS World pilot, but the immersion is unbelievable. I bought the Mig-15 module yesterday and the first time I fired it up I just sat there in the cockpit marveling at the detail. For some reason the nuts and bolts attaching the gunsight to the glare shield put a huge grin on my face. Little details like that just pop in VR.

i just use a hotas then mouse click all in cockpit

no looking out of the rift is needed & this is the best way IMO

I use a Rift, Warthog and a mouse on my lap and I never want to go back to a screen.

Occasionally I forget and try and close a door with my hand...:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

i7-6700 / 32GB DDR4 / 500GB SSD / GT 108 Founders /Oculus S/ Warthog /TRP/Obutto Ozone

Occasionally I forget and try and close a door with my hand...:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

Yeah - I'm doing this all the time. I even swing myself around the virtual joystick to reach my mouse!!! :lol:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

In 1.54 you can map left, right mouse buttons and scroll wheel to your controller so I tend not to use my keyboard that often.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

Can you map a joytsick button instead of the mouse button for the rift (re-centre and crosshair click specifically)?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yes you can, it's in the settings in game.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1