LN Quick Status Update (We're alive!)

Cobra847

I wouldn't take that time frame too seriously. The terrain technology is still under development.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

The ground radar works by sending out rays from the emitter (the radar). Thus, it's completely dynamic and occludes appropriately.

It's not a texture based approach (like having a "fake" ground mapping radar map texture)

Different materials offer different reflectivity, so skilled operators will be able to know what is what!

Hopefully the community will realize this is incredible. The fact that LNS has simply ventured out on their own and created implementation of a long awaited feature not originally in DCS (and a challenge for ED even) is extremely impressive. Also, in my opinion, this will likely be the most realistic Ground Radar in any sim to date.

Thanks for the update, outstanding news!

Would it be acceptable to ask about kickstarter rewards? No word since the January update.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks LN. I just hoped there will be some info on the F4U-1D :(

My absolute favorite WW2 aircraft, and it's the one I am most excited for.

F-14 is, though, really exciting. I wish there was a pre-order for it, as maybe some capital could help entice this along a bit :lol:

Would it be acceptable to ask about kickstarter rewards? No word since the January update.

It says right there in the update that they're working on it:

• Expansion of the LN Site (including Merchandise- and MiG-21 rewards)

It says right there in the update that they're working on it:

I would like more information than that. A website expansion has nothing to do with distributing rewards that they supposedly have had samples of by now. In short, I would like to see pictures of those samples.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Dear All,

First of all- thank you all for your patience in the past year.

Unfortunately plans don't always work out, and we're working very hard to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Here's a very quick summary of what we're working on and where we stand.

AJS-37 Viggen

We're all fairly quiet and keeping our heads low- as we're still very much knee deep in the AJS-37 completion crunch. Most of the current work is focused on a few critical areas:

• Correction of erroneous artwork

• Fixing of a few hundred bugs, including some critical

• Completion of ground mapping radar shader & visuals (Performance!)

• Campaign & Mission completion. (1 Mini Campaign, 1 Major Campaign & Training suite)

• Marketing materials, music licensing, livestream planning

• Expansion of the LN Site (including Merchandise- and MiG-21 rewards)

• New Theatres

The past few weeks have seen the completion of the last research trips conducted with real Viggens. Again, we visited the JA-37Di at Graz-Thalerhof to be able to remedy some of the erroneously constructed artwork. (Canopies are a PITA!). We're very grateful to all of the museums around Europe, which have graciously afforded us the ability to crawl all over their aircraft in search for complete accuracy.

The Viggen has been a very challenging project for us, both in size and complexity- but primarily in the new features that will be introduced with the aircraft. Our own, custom ground mapping radar has been a point of very difficult development- but we sincerely hope that the end result will be stunning in every way.

It all sounds, in writing, a little more pessimistic than it really should. We're getting there.

F-14

The F-14 is progressing steadily and many new systems are being consistently implemented.

There are not too many "unknowns" or- directly- new features involved in the F-14, which make the development process a little easier.

We have begun relying on the expertise of SMEs to ensure accuracy of various systems, the flight model, and other features. It's been very helpful to fill in the gaps that exist in the documentation, which- unfortunately are quite large. It's also been helpful so far in ensuring that the feel and look of certain aircraft systems is accurate. A concrete example would be the refresh rate for the HUD and VDI.

We've also begun conducting concrete CFD experiments for the AIM-54, to ensure that the missile is modelled to the most accurate extent possible.

We'll be doing a full update dedicated to just this area, as soon as we start getting concrete results from our simulations.

We'll be sharing much more on the F-14 once the AJS-37 is out the door, and more resources are freed up to produce enjoyable visual material.

MiG-21bis

The last few patches for DCS have seen the inclusion of a few new MiG-21 features, and we still have a few large items that we need to take care of to ensure the full completion of this module.

These include some sound updates, visual updates- as well as backporting a few new features from the AJS-37 and F-14 projects.

There are, of course, also a few bugs left with aircraft functionality- and we're getting to these as quickly as possible.

We have not, nor will we ever abandon our previously released modules. They're all equally important to us, and we hope that we have, and will continue to prove this moving forward.

Again, thank you for all of your patience and support.

We're eternally grateful to have such a great and understanding fanbase, and if we could take all the premature teasing back, we would.

We're always trying to improve, and the past couple of years have been a great learning experience.

Thank you!

LNS

Awesome :pilotfly:

Hopefully the community will realize this is incredible. The fact that LNS has simply ventured out on their own and created implementation of a long awaited feature not originally in DCS (and a challenge for ED even) is extremely impressive. Also, in my opinion, this will likely be the most realistic Ground Radar in any sim to date.

Thanks for the update, outstanding news!

I totally agree, it's a magnificent achievement. Way better than the pseudo A-G radar in BMS :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thx Leatherneck's for the update.

Really appreciate that you keep us in the loop. Keeps our tinfoil hats in the closet.

Now where is that Viggen y'all talking about :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

So excited for the Viggen to be released or at least have its own place and artwork on the LNS website. I love the artwork for the Mig-21 and F-14, and since so much detail is going into it for the Viggen I'm very satisfied

What U mean for PSEUDO A-G radar?

It's not really a simulated raycasting radar. It just knows where ground units are from the game engine and shows them on the radar screen and all contacts are just shown as rectangles, instead of a real radar picture.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't played BMS much recently.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

So you think ANY simulated radar is anything but pseudo?

Perhaps you could enlighten us how real radar would work in a simulation?

By using actual raycasting like LNS is doing instead of just getting target info from the game engine. That's why this is such a big achievement. I just have some concerns regarding performance, because that sounds pretty demanding resource wise.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

I am curious if we will be able to spot an ka50 on the ground at something like 15-20km with the a/g Radar. I mean its a pretty big chunk of metall sitting in a pretty non reflective, more refracting area.

Would be usefull against sneaky helis which try to evade detection by landing. )))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

I am curious if we will be able to spot an ka50 on the ground at something like 15-20km with the a/g Radar. I mean its a pretty big chunk of metall sitting in a pretty non reflective, more refracting area.

Would be usefull against sneaky helis which try to evade detection by landing. )))

If it just sits cold on the ground it should be detectable I guess, but I don't know how or if moving helo blades appear in the radar? That leads me to another question:

Does the Viggen radar has a moving target mode?

Tornado3 small.jpg

That is one of my concerns about BMS (i like the game it is a nice game compared to its age), if i am going low in the F16 behind a hill, i can still seee on my AG radar what is on the other side.

I am pretty sure this is a part of what they mean as pseudo radar.