Not getting AIM-120 hits

LtMacGowan

I've fired dozens of both the AIM-120 Bravos and Charlies from my F-15 and have not yet got a single hit. I'm mostly using them now to break up an enemy formation at range.

I'm getting a solid radar lock and I've been launching them at 20-35'ish miles, maintaining my own radar lock until that T countdown on the HUD goes to zero, and sometimes i even fire a second one at the same target and still not one damned hit

I'm placing that expanding circle on the HUD over the target box, I'm guiding it all the way in during that T countdown with my own radar yet nothing. I'm getting more kills with the AIM-7 Sparrow which is junk compared to the AMRAAM.

Also I'm firing when when we're almost always head on closure rate as well. so it only has to go straight.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting more kills with the AIM-7 Sparrow which is junk compared to the AMRAAM.

From 20-35 miles, I doubt it very much.

What are you doing wrong, having too high of an expectation. Get closer and shoot closer, understand about how ineffective a max range shot is compared to a within rtr shot, do a search because there is so much in this forum it is criminal not to.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Well I was using the HUD's PK meter, I was firing when the caret dropped into max range.

Let me rephrase I was locking them up at 20-35 miles, and firing when the HUD's range caret on the PK index dropped to max range which i believe is the 2nd hash mark closest to the top is it not?

Also Wiki says " AIM-120C-5: >105 km (>57 nmi)" operational range

It's a meaningless figure without knowing other parameters such as shooters and targets altitude, speed, aspect and maneuver.

As for the max range displayed on the HUD, this if for a non maneuvering target. If they maneuver expectations of a hit are pretty much what you're experiencing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Try a look up shot (target against the sky) from 4 nm. You will hit pretty much every time! Of course, you are likely to get hit also if the bad guy shoots back :)

As shooting range increases, hit probability decreases. Shots beyond 15 nm rarely hit, and thus kill probability here is near zero in most cases.

Well I was using the HUD's PK meter, I was firing when the caret dropped into max range.

Let me rephrase I was locking them up at 20-35 miles, and firing when the HUD's range caret on the PK index dropped to max range which i believe is the 2nd hash mark closest to the top is it not?

It's not a Pk meter, it's a range scale. If you're firing from supersonic speeds at a non-reacting large target like a tanker, transport or AWACS, firing from just under maximum range might just about be effective. Against a manoeuvring target firing at anything over Rtr is nearly pointless. Rtr is the maximum range against a manoeuvring target. Think of this as the maximum effective missile range and you'll be a lot more successful.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Not the ET if you know how to fly the flanker.

Try the ET and 73 now in the 1.5.4 and tell me. The guidance system is like doing lag pursuit of the enemy aircraft from the launch, if the enemy turn hard and launch a couple of flares! miss!

Edited by JunMcKill

i wouldn't know i dont fly the Flanker anymore the constant pitching really gets to me sometimes so i switched to the Mirage, Mirage is life. Unfortunately the Magic II missiles are bugged there as well, so im "grounded" from further combat, i just do acrobatics in the mean time ;)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

Essentially most of the missile physics in this sim are horribly abysmal at very best. It's really a shame at this point that everyone has to be just out of gun range for a missile to do its intended job.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've fired dozens of both the AIM-120 Bravos and Charlies from my F-15 and have not yet got a single hit. I'm mostly using them now to break up an enemy formation at range.

I'm getting a solid radar lock and I've been launching them at 20-35'ish miles, maintaining my own radar lock until that T countdown on the HUD goes to zero, and sometimes i even fire a second one at the same target and still not one damned hit

I'm placing that expanding circle on the HUD over the target box, I'm guiding it all the way in during that T countdown with my own radar yet nothing. I'm getting more kills with the AIM-7 Sparrow which is junk compared to the AMRAAM.

Also I'm firing when when we're almost always head on closure rate as well. so it only has to go straight.

What am I doing wrong?

Try to adjust a few parameters to increase PK:

Launch speed: The faster the better

Look.up: although amraam has good look down capability, shooting at someone with sky in background helps with guidance.

Radar mode: use TWS to avoid alerting your target too soon.

Adjust PRF: adjust it to target aspect until pitbull.

For long range shots, try to fly fast above contrail, engage low targets with TWS from a reasonable range. They usually get an alert too late and the missile will still have enough juice to manoeuver.

Having said that, missiles are not bulletproof and you may still miss even if all parameters were good.

Happy hunting :)

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj