Low FPS in 1.5.4 - Comparison with a friend

Hello all,

I saw a lot of post regarding performance issues in DCS 1.5.

I had no issues until the latests version 1.5.3 & 1.5.4.

Today I was flying the first campaign mission of the SA342 Gazelle (really good campaign by the way...).

Conditions: Start of the mission, on the FARP, engine off.

Comparison:

My config

- GTX 970

- i5 4690

- Running DCS on an SSD

Result: 13 to 18FPS depending where I look

My friend's config

- HD7870

- i5 4690

- Running DCS on an SSD

Result: 45 to 50FPS in the same conditions.

Settings are exactly the same for both of us. No specific settings in our graphic cards control panels.

Our settings:

Screen_160727_191357.jpg

So the big question now: Why is there such a difference?

I don't recon it's hardware related, with our settings, we should be able to run both at 50FPS easily.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Cam'

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

some questions I would consider

what process's did you both have running in the back ground?

which antivirus are you both using?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'll ask him but for me:

The nvidia settings (general only, no specific settings for DCS). Sorry it's in french, but basically it's all default settings.

Installed driver is the latest one 368.81

Nvidia1.PNG

Nvidia2.PNG

Background processes:

- Track IR, Dropbox, Logitech gaming software, flux. They are the most notable ones.

- I'm just using the windows defender from W10.

Thanks for the help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, A Screenshot of the Setting only tells part of the story,

The LOW, MED, HIGH, Presets change settings that arent on the settings menu,

you can Click HIGH, and Drop everything to LOW and Still have low FPS,

And you can Click LOW and Boost Everything to HIGH and Still have High FPS but notice object pop in's shadow pop ins etc etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The LOW, MED, HIGH, Presets change settings that arent on the settings menu,

Thats interesting! I think this should be mentioned on a very prominent place. Maybe in the settings menu?

Do you have mirrors on? (I know the Gazelle doesn't have mirrors, but do a search in the Gazelle bugs forum, you will see many people experience a gain of 10-20 fps when turning mirrors off).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

IIRC the presets change the objects amount and their render distances, etc etc.

i dont think there's a line for it in your options.lua anymore.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Shouldn't visibility be controlling that ? I also found lines for effects and lights on the lua which are not on the menu. Also clouds... trees shadows..

And if it's not in our settings file where is it ? Very strange... This stuff should be mentioned and fully controllable. Hope 2.5 will bring a new settings menu.

Bump can we get an answer to this as this is very interesting and important. THank you

to be more clear im trying to get the total object count down as in 3d it really hammers the fps now when around cities and such.

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Very interesting !

Can we get full info of what is effected please ?

..puzzled...

*edit:

Had a recent mayor drop in fps and after a few days flying it got so annoying I went to find the culprit. It were many things, that once corrected it doubled my fps to where it was before. That much to how much can be mistuned. Mistuned by updates, upgrades and other unknown reasons.

My list of what to check now has the following:

- Check that I am on High Performance mode, so CPU doesnt throttle down to 1600, but stays at 3.4 as lowest.

- Check that Nvidia Panel settings are as I need them, in my case, MAX PERFORMANCE instead of OPTIMAL, and SINGLE DISPLAY over the preset Multi-Display mode.

- delete options.lua ( and redo settings in DCS, not a big thing to do )

- *DCS settings to HIGH..and then turn down SHADOW to MEDIUM, turn off HDR and those effects, turn off VR, set to FULL SCREEN and in my case disable VSYNC as

I use GSYNC ( preset in NV panel but better check if set correctly ), set gras to 250m, trees to 12500, preload mx, vis range extreme. DONE :)

Usually that fixes my drops in fps.

The NV panel is a beast. I have to check it every other occasion to see if the profiles are still as set, often I find them reset to presets which will throttle the GPU as I can see in MSI Afterburner and cause stutter at least in NTTR if not always full throttle. MultiDislplay activated instead of single happens often too.

Deleting options.lua lately fixed a mayor drop in fps by just doing that.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

BitMaster, what sort of fps are you getting? Is that with water set to high also?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Ok so this is weird... I applied the tips from Bitmaster:

- Deleted option.lua, set to High preset and changed shadows to medium, visibility to extreme and the sliders to the values he gave.

So these settings are higher than during my first test and I now have between 25 and 30 FPS at the start of the first gazelle mission. (in flight it goes up to 60FPS without any problem).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, I've started deleting options.lua and working up from default presets recently as well. Using more or less the same settings as BitMaster's (+reducing visibility distance to high). Gave me noticeable performance boost on my not-so-hot-anymore PC after latest 1.5.4 and 2.0.3 updates.

Don't have Gazelle, so cannot offer comparison data, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.