A-10 bugs

aimmaverick

The TAS and AOA indicator dont work. Still! If i want to check real speed i must use external view. This sucks. Such important things not fixed after 3 years of patches/whatever. They(ED) completely ignore western planes. Same with F-15 regarding TAS/GS which btw broke after Flaming Cliffs. It worked correctly in Lomac. And is 99% chance it wont get fixed in Black Shark according to devs. Then the end of Lockon series and we will end without very basic avionics features. Not to mention imaginary K model Maverick modeling.

Guest IguanaKing

Yes, actually the AOA indexer and the ASI in the LOMAC A-10 work just fine. Try to remember that the ASI in the A-10 indicates IAS "indicated airspeed". This is a very basic comparison of pitot pressure and static pressure, so its often going to be VERY different from TAS "true airspeed", since the A-10 ASI does not take OAT (outside air temperature) into account. IAS is much more important to aerodynamic performance and limitations than TAS is, so that's why it is the way it is in real aircraft. You'll notice, however, that the barber pole on your ASI in both American aircraft will slowly move CCW as you increase altitude...and that's the way it SHOULD work. If the A-10 and F-15 ASIs were showing TAS prior to Flaming Cliffs...well...Flaming Cliffs fixed a pretty serious error. :smilewink:

Just curious, what specific problem do you see with the AoA indexers? The one in the A-10 looks pretty close to right-on to me.

The TAS and AOA indicator dont work. Still! If i want to check real speed i must use external view. This sucks. Such important things not fixed after 3 years of patches/whatever. They(ED) completely ignore western planes. Same with F-15 regarding TAS/GS which btw broke after Flaming Cliffs. It worked correctly in Lomac. And is 99% chance it wont get fixed in Black Shark according to devs. Then the end of Lockon series and we will end without very basic avionics features. Not to mention imaginary K model Maverick modeling. :mad:

I wouldnt say that they completly ignored western A/C. What i would say is they have focused more on russian A/C but go figure they are from russia so you stick with what you know right? However the A-10 and F-15 seem to be modeled fairly accurate. Yeah granted there have been times when i wonder if if been screwed but its normally with the -120s. Now its been awhile since ive flown the A-10 and i have never used the k model, whats wrong with it???

OK. AOA indicator shows 10 deg. angle constantly when flying level. Flying at high speed doent matter. It shoudnt be like that because I wasnt flying slow and at pitch angle. Airspeed indicator itself works fine, I meant internal compass like reading which should show TAS right? Or A-10 doesnt have it at all? The K model Maverick should have mag. avaible just like D model. This is a fact but it wasnt moddeled. You misunderstood me about F-15. I meant digital readings on radar display(Ground and True speed) and not the airspeed indicator. TAS(T) reading doesnt show what it should-true air speed. :music_whistling:

Guest IguanaKing

Ahhh...OK...now I see what you are talking about with the A-10 AOA indicator. At this point, I'm not sure how to read that instrument, because A-10s IRL, just sitting on the ground, have that indicator pointing just above 10. All I can say is that what we see in LOMAC is an accurate representation...but as to why its also that way IRL, I have no idea. Too bad we don't have a real Hog driver here to explain it to us. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm not a "real Hog driver" just yet, but I'm getting there. I'm in a Hog unit and have been selected to go to pilot training to fly the A-10. As such I spend a fair amount of time in the A-10 sim at the squadron while I wait for a class date.

Here's a few of my impressions, but keep in mind this is all based on my time in the A-10 sim, as I haven't yet flown the real airplane. (And won't for a while. Gotta get past the T-6 and then the T-38 first.) First off, when it comes to the whole TAS, IAS, GS issue, all of these can be selected to be displayed on the HUD. The HUD mode switch on the upper left is where this is accomplished. When in IAS, just the speed is displayed. When in TAS, a 'T' is next to the speed, and a 'G' when in GS.

As for the AoA indicator, in the sim it fluctuates far more while in level flight than it does in LOMAC. It goes down as speed is increased, and goes up as you slow down. It also varies based on altitude and throttle inputs. Another way to look at it is the distance between the gun cross at the top of the HUD and the FPM. In straight and level flight at medium altitude and full throttle the airplane seems to be around 6-7 degrees of alpha. Obviously as you maneuver it goes up. At about 23-24 degrees a steady tone comes on. past this a chopped tone comes on, which is the indication that the airplane is right on the cusp of a stall. This is of particular concern in the real airplane because a full blown stall in the A-10 can cause a compressor stall of one or both engines.

Another thing, the g number is displayed in the HUD, (on the left side) not just on the dial gage.

What else... Oh yeah, in the real airplane there's no speed brake indicator. You have to look out at the wing to see how much brake you've got out. And that's another thing. Brakes aren't an all or nothing deal like they are in LOMAC. You can put in like 10% of brake or so and then pull it back in. You land with about 40% of brake out. Again, this is all eyeballed. You look at it and guesstimate 40%.

CCRP is all sorts of wrong in LOMAC, but CCIP is about how I've experienced it in the sim.

And yes, this 'K' model maverick stuff is inaccurate. The 'K' model Maverick is a 'G' with a CCD seeker. So it has a 300 lbs HE warhead as opposed to the 125 lbs shaped charge employed in the 'D.' Yes, it does have two fields of view unlike the one in LOMAC.

A-10's also fly with the Litening pod now, which allows for self lasing for LGB's, and awesome zoom capability. It gives the ability to engage targets at night without the use of flares.

There is only one rate for the gun, and that's 'high'. The switch in the cockpit only goes from 'safe' to 'high'. The slow rate hasn't been available for quite some time. It was seldom used and it was determined that the resonance frequency of the gun firing on 'slow' was causing structural damage to the mounting hardware. It seems to me the rate of fire modeled in LOMAC is to high. The gun fires at 70 rounds per second.

Sorry for such a long first post, but I thought I'd pass along my experience. I'm open to any questions, but my knowledge is limited compared to the guys who are actually flying the real jets. However I'm around the pilots from the squadron all the time and am more than happy to pass along questions, providing the info isn't security sensitive stuff. Overall I think the A-10 is modeled very well in LOMAC, the flight model seems very close to how it is in the sim, aside from a few airspeed issues. (The LOMAC A-10 seems to stall at to low of an airspeed, particularly when heavily loaded.)

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I enjoy this great sim.

Hey Detzel,

Dont appologize for writing long posts. I think all hog drivers here are more than happy to receive some additional info and a comparison to the real thing.

Great post and thx for the info mate,

wbr,

:pilotfly:

NotiA10

NotiA10

CoolerMaster HAF RC-932 - Intel Core i7 950 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - Kingston DDR3 6GB - Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 EF 6 Edition - Western Digital 640GB SATA-III - CoolerMaster 700W - TrackIR Pro 4 - Saitek X52 - Saitek Rudder Pedals - Hotas Warthog

Guest IguanaKing

Yes, thanks Detzel for a really excellent first post. No need to apologize for the length, just about everyone here likes to read and discuss things in detail. I never thought about it before, but you're right about the brakes indicator, there is just a hole cover in that position on most Hog panels. A buddy of mine who used to work the line at our FBO has gone through the entire process and is now a Hog driver with the 355th at Davis-Monthan. He and his wing-man gave us all a great show on Monday afternoon. I was up to my elbows in a Bell 206L4 at TacAir 10, the hangar door was open, and I heard the sweet sound of TF34s flying by...a few seconds later another...along with a HUGE shadow. :D They did 3 low, fast passes, with my buddy always doing a zoom climb at the end of the runway and immediately rolling inverted to pull the nose back to level. Gawd, for such a big plane, she sure can dance. They always make it a point to come by KAPA on their way to landing at Buckley when they are on training flights. Again, thanks for the excellent post, and when you go to UPT...Crash n' Burn!!! :D You'll love the T-6.

• 6 months later...

Bump for this thread. So again Im asking why Eagle TAS and GS digital readings on radar display dont show correct airspeed value anymore? True air speed readout now shows CAS - a duplicate of hud reading. Why was it changed in Flamming Cliffs I ask you? Anyone?

Aimmaverick,

you can do a rough calculation of your true airspeed very easily

TAS = IAS + (IAS x 2%) x (Altitude in Feet / 1000)

this should be sufficient

wbr,

NotiA10

NotiA10

CoolerMaster HAF RC-932 - Intel Core i7 950 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - Kingston DDR3 6GB - Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 EF 6 Edition - Western Digital 640GB SATA-III - CoolerMaster 700W - TrackIR Pro 4 - Saitek X52 - Saitek Rudder Pedals - Hotas Warthog