Detecting enemy launched missiles?

N1tch

Hi all,

Like many of you I'm very much enjoying the F-5E module and no doubt I've shot or or been shot down by some of you already on some of the servers.

The F-5E has given me a far greater appreciation of my environment and situational awareness and I know that one of the answers to my question is quickly simply be constantly looking all around for the missile launches.

I am using the RWR and occasionally I've had alerts to missile launches and had more often than not success in defending and evading them. However several times I've been completely blind to a missile launch.

So my question/s are -

1. How good is the F-5E at detecting launches and could I be doing something wrong to allow it to detect?

2. Are there other tips and techniques that you might suggest to improve situation awareness (short of flying with a wing-man or two which I have done and of course helps alot or of what I mentioned previously about constantly checking all around, especially both shoulder checks).

Any advice, suggestion greatly appreciated :D

1) The F-5 has a RWR but no MWS, so it can detect radar guided missiles but no IR missiles.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1) The F-5 has a RWR but no MWS, so it can detect radar guided missiles but no IR missiles.

Ah so that was my first mistake and misunderstanding. I knew the RWR in of it'self wouldn't detect IR launches but I did think the F-5E had IR launch detectors but wasn't sure if I didn't have them on or not.

Thank you QuiGon.

Edited by N1tch