"World" Map

Hello i would like to know if it is possible to create a World Map for DCS....Microsoft has flightsimulator 2004 with a great Terrain World map.....Google has Google Earth.."flightsim.com" has several major city airports for sale and weather and temperature addons....new projects could be a realtime "Nature" weather simulation of earth (Nature (Trees...)Winter, Fall, Spring, Summer). Civil airline traffic and Special Missions(Maybe UAVs).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

Sure. It is probably possible from a technical point of view. If you have an array of REALLY large SSD's that is...

The Caucasus map is approx 500 km2 in size and NTTR approx 600 km2. Together with the currently available modules that requires roughly 60GB of SSD storage space. The surface of the world is approx 500 million km2 so do the math...

On a more serious note, FSX, P3D, XP10 and all the flight sims using the entire world as a playground work very differently than DCS.

1. The scenario is built around landclass and terrain mesh and if you want it to look good you will have to add high-res textures which also would require an insane amount of storage space if you did it for the entire world.

2. In those sims the only interaction with the ground is during takeoffs and landings. In DCS you are supposed to fight in a combat environment. Find ground units hiding etc. That requires a highly detailed scenery.

3. In DCS you need working roads and bridges etc. In the sims you mention that is purely cosmetic and made to look good flying at a bit of altitude. In DCS it should look good at ground level as well. And collision detection is required to work with ground objects in DCS which isn't the case on FSX and other sims.

So a combat flight sim can't really be compared to FSX, XP10 or P3D. But I agree, it would be awesome to fly around the world in a DCS level aircraft and in DCS level scenery. But I'm afraid that it isn't quite possible any time soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

• 3 months later...

Yes you are right...anytime soon....not a viable project.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

ED has plans to "Whole earth" but not dates about them 3.0+ version.

I don't recall any mention of plans, only the fact that the new 'map' coding would allow for it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Sure. It is probably possible from a technical point of view. If you have an array of REALLY large SSD's that is...

The Caucasus map is approx 500 km2 in size and NTTR approx 600 km2. Together with the currently available modules that requires roughly 60GB of SSD storage space. The surface of the world is approx 500 million km2 so do the math...

On a more serious note, FSX, P3D, XP10 and all the flight sims using the entire world as a playground work very differently than DCS.

1. The scenario is built around landclass and terrain mesh and if you want it to look good you will have to add high-res textures which also would require an insane amount of storage space if you did it for the entire world.

2. In those sims the only interaction with the ground is during takeoffs and landings. In DCS you are supposed to fight in a combat environment. Find ground units hiding etc. That requires a highly detailed scenery.

3. In DCS you need working roads and bridges etc. In the sims you mention that is purely cosmetic and made to look good flying at a bit of altitude. In DCS it should look good at ground level as well. And collision detection is required to work with ground objects in DCS which isn't the case on FSX and other sims.

So a combat flight sim can't really be compared to FSX, XP10 or P3D. But I agree, it would be awesome to fly around the world in a DCS level aircraft and in DCS level scenery. But I'm afraid that it isn't quite possible any time soon.

Adding to that: "plain" flight sims (no sea/ground units) also use procedural generation of things.

This means things like towns and roads are generated by some template/algorithm combination. Towns might be roughly around the location where expected but nothing like the actual town. The addons for a single airfield in those can cost nearly as much as whole terrain module for DCS..

70% of earth surface area is water, so that leaves ~149 million square kilometers of land, but that is still plenty..

Also Nevada map is not 600km2, it is 129600km2 (360*360)

So.. 60 terabytes of data to download..

Edited by kazereal

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

I'm am not at my PC right now however after some quick math and me thinking that the nttr map is approximately 30gb. then a 2.0 detailed version of the entire planet assuming they repeated a block for all oceans would be 118 terabytes. So while I like many others would love to have the ability to fly around anywhere on the planet, it is not quite reasonable. But who knows with the way technology is advancing and as long as ED continues to develop DCS then it may be possible to do in not to long. Maybe in even less time we could get the earth in chunks like Romania to Pakistan. That would be approximately 3 terabytes.

Edited by dudeman17

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

This have been discussed before and I don't recall anyone from ED talking of future plans for an entire world.

As a matter of fact, it seems that in DCS, even though out of bounds terrain is procedurally generated you just can't travel from Nevada to Black Sea :D

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Just throwing this in here:

FlightGear solved it somewhat differently. Yes, it is still generic, procedural terrain but what they did was to have the earth's surface divided into sections where you would download the sections you were planning on flying in. The sim would tie them together but the point is you had a great number of smaller downloads.

Not that it would change the workload of actually creating these sections for DCS.

I think they should do a basic world map. Not even stock FSX quality, without houses and so on, based on some Open Street Map or something. About 10-20GB big. With a few airports (basically copy Kolkhi or so) around the world (a few on every continent) so you can just takeoff and fly somewhere.

That way realism fans could do realistic distances, and everyone else wouldn't care because they never see the map, because they start on the maps they bought. It will probably look fine on high altitudes anyway.

If some mission designer places objects there only he is to blame.

If you have a DLC map such as Nevada, it is loaded once you get "near", if you don't have it nothing happens, except online.

When online: The mission designer can determine needed DLCs, and you cannot join, so you can't have an advantage by flying a mission over an "empty" map with wrong elevation and a basic texture. A simple window tells you.

I don't recall any mention of plans, only the fact that the new 'map' coding would allow for it.

Only in TBS: Using our partnerships, it is our priority to build a broad array of aircraft systems and terrains, to the point of modeling the entire globe.

Read the About page:

http://www.thebattlesim.com/about/

Not that this will come to DCS but ED sure has some plans for their larger paying clients. :)