Second Sidewinder won't fire, and first always miss.

bigjoe_no

I'am wondering if anyone else experience this. Lying behind an enenmy fighter I get a locktone (the higher picth tone). But even on 3 km range they always miss. This is both the P and the P5. For how long do you need a locktone?

Because sometimes I get locktone, but by the time the missile leaves the plane it's gone. This is without using radar. ( With radar on Mig29 and other planes lock on to you right away.)

Then when it comes to the second missile it won't fire. This started for me after the last update. Before it worked fine. It also happens if I use bombs first, then switch to missiles. Then neither missiles will work. At the time I have opened the cover and right cliked the firing switch.

Make sure you press the missile uncage switch when you hear the lock tone so the seeker head tracks the IR source. The missile seeker field of view will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Have you got both launch rail pylons selected when firing your sidewinders?

Even after the patch which will make the seeker head FOV larger, I would still advise uncaging the seeker head.

Of course. :)

System

Intel Core i5 8600k 3,6 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 1070Ti, Windows 10 64 Bit, Tm Warthog HOTAS, Trackir 5

Anyone else having problems with missiles not launching at all sometimes?

Pylons selected, lock tone, missiles uncaged, holding release button but no joy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Tested with a buddy in MP last night and successful launch seemed to be totally random.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Pylons selected, lock tone, missiles uncaged, holding release button but no joy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Tested with a buddy in MP last night and successful launch seemed to be totally random.

Looks like ralfidude has the same problem:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Have you remembered to put to turn off the Jettison Selector Switch again.

Since if its in any position other then the Safe/off (middle) position you wont be able to launch your missile.

Since usually you will jettison your external in a hurry before combat so you might have forgotten toswitch it back to the middle slot

(thus preventing the launch)

Yes it was in safe/middle position.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Have you remembered to put to turn off the Jettison Selector Switch again.

Since if its in any position other then the Safe/off (middle) position you wont be able to launch your missile.

Since usually you will jettison your external in a hurry before combat so you might have forgotten toswitch it back to the middle slot

(thus preventing the launch)

I too have had problems getting the Sidewinders to launch and after reviewing track files I found the above to be my problem. I am loaded out for air to ground then I got jumped by a Mig 29. I jettisoned my load and evaded a missile shot and caused him to over shoot. I was in perfect position for a classic rear aspect sidewinder, got a good high pitched tone, pressed the launch button to no avail nothing. I switched to guns and managed to take out one of his engines but I had to egress as he was getting help from other aircraft. I bugged out and then went and looked at the track files to find out what had happened.

When I jettisoned my ordinance I failed to put the selective jettison back tot he center position. I went in and tested and this does cause the sidewinders NOT to fire. I am better educated now.

Even after the patch which will make the seeker head FOV larger, I would still advise uncaging the seeker head.

So after gaining tone, hold the uncage button until launch, or hold after seeker launch? I am having a hell of a time connecting with these :doh:

So after gaining tone, hold the uncage button until launch, or hold after seeker launch? I am having a hell of a time connecting with these :doh:

you want the seeker uncaged once you got a lock. If you dont uncage the missile, it will loose lock as soon as you move the target off missile-boresight. If you uncage the missile before you have lock, the missile will look randomly but not boresight, making it hard for you to get a lock.

So: aim to missile boresight, get lock-tone, uncage the missle, aim for some lead to dramatically improve hit probability, after you launched the missile you can release the uncage button.

Basically the Seeker in the Aim-9 (And most other IR guided missiles) are able to look around to some degree.

By Default the Seeker is fixed looking directly ahead (towards the boresight giving only a limited FOV) but Mid-late Era Aim-9s (and most other modern IR-missiles) have the ability to uncage the seeker head allowing it to swivel around more thus giving it a larger area where it can track a target without looing lock etc.

So after the seeker has seen a target (giving you a good tone) you press the uncage button which will let the missile seeker swivel around to maintain lock on the target

(instead of you having to keep the target on the boresight)

and after you have the tone and the seeker is uncaged that lets you maneuver to a good firing position and then launch the missile.

(Ps a missile is automatically uncaged after launch to allow it to maneuver for a intercept even if it was no uncaged prior to launch).

you want the seeker uncaged once you got a lock. If you dont uncage the missile, it will loose lock as soon as you move the target off missile-boresight. If you uncage the missile before you have lock, the missile will look randomly but not boresight, making it hard for you to get a lock.

So: aim to missile boresight, get lock-tone, uncage the missle, aim for some lead to dramatically improve hit probability, after you launched the missile you can release the uncage button.

:thumbup:

Edit: Using this method in my first mp match after splashed 2 with sidewinders. A really good pilot barely evaded 2 more.

Edited by TheFace

Make sure you press the missile uncage switch when you hear the lock tone so the seeker head tracks the IR source. The missile seeker field of view will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Have you got both launch rail pylons selected when firing your sidewinders?

Thanks hadn't thought of that.

Also the jettison button did the trick and enabled me to fire the missile.

Still need some practice, but when uncaging I keep the lock tone for as long as I wan't.

Again, confirming the selective jettison switch must be in safe (middle) to launch AIM-9.

I have found when only bringing a CAP loadout (2 x AIM-9 + fuel tanks), when I want to dump the bags, just use the emergency jettison button (dumps all pylons except wingtips). I have had no issues with using either AIM-9 following this method. Not sure if this is truly the "right" way to sim, but it works well.

Use selective jettison when you are cruising and just want to dump empty rocket pods or fuel tanks but keep the rest of your kit on the pylons.

Another option is to select "all pylons" instead of "selected pylons" and then jettison. That way you don't have to manually select which pylons have fuel tanks/ordinance. Also, it gets rid of the fuel tank and pylon, further reducing drag.

Another option is to select "all pylons" instead of "selected pylons" and then jettison. That way you don't have to manually select which pylons have fuel tanks/ordinance. Also, it gets rid of the fuel tank and pylon, further reducing drag.

Why dont you just use EMER jett then?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Well the last patch made the difference.

Those Mig 21's are falling out off the sky now. I still uncage the missile before launch though.

Would have been realy nice with a larger supply of flares and a ECM pod.

Well you can always ditch the Chaff for the extra flares.

30 flares deployed one at a time should be enough.

Why dont you just use EMER jett then?

I am under the impression that the emergency jettison only gets rids of the stores on all pylons, not the actual pylons attached to the wings. I will need to test the emergency jettison to see if it jettisons both, but what I described definitely gets rid of everything in order to give you the least amount of drag possible.

EDIT: I just tested the emergency jettison button - I was correct, it jettisons all the stores but not the pylons. If you do it how I described, then you get rid of everything and will be faster and more maneuverable. It's easy - in the "select jettison" area on the left vertical panel, you click the switch down to the "all pylons" and then click jettison. That's it, no need to select the various pylons. Easy peasy.

Edited by Medic8ed
  • Like 1