Future Graphics APIs for DCS

sobek

Well, a good chunk of the move to EDGE was seperating out the rendering from the DCS core, or at least making it only loosely coupled, so they could change it out and be more flexible from what I remember reading.

Could see them doing it in a few years time once the current engine gets long in the tooth.

Vulkan is brand new, it's looking like it might be very good, and some engines are already supporting it, but we'll just wait and see.

from Wikipedia:

Doom – Vulkan support released in July 2016.[26] Up to 66% faster when using the Vulkan rendering path.[27]

Just tried Doom with Vulcan and looks that it`s true

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

I was talking about DX12 back then in some posts, I've changed my mind once I saw how similar they are in tests, but the fact that DX12 is Win10 only and Vulkan being

I know it's harder for ED to maintain 2 paths again as it's already an issue with the versions right now, hope they can get the 1.5 and 2.0 merged.

It still makes total sense in the long term, the vulkan build can be kept in beta and built up, I know it's early and it's 1.0, but it's about getting developers familiarized, so when 2.0 comes you probably would have to do some changes but the developers are learning, the idea that waiting for later edition of vulkan which would be even better but then developers would start from that point with less experience than in this case so it would all be delayed before they finish.

The other thing is, the coincidental times, the recent move to DX11 and then the stuff going on with Mantle and now Vulkan, stuff moved fast in these 3 years, so it does feel kinda we got a finger from ED and now we want to bite of the whole hand, I don't want to make this thing sound like that, I personally don't know how big of a change it was I was on 1.2 only like a month or two before the change happend, it's the API that's so appealing, since I was following and still am the tech stuff around that in depth, I don't want this to look disrespectful, but I am obviously not in the know of how much work went into DX11, how hard it was, was it a low priority thing that was being slowly developed, was it almost done for years and delayed to be slowly tested.

It may not provide direct performance for DCS but it will help in all kinds of areas and other ways. As in, we don't need that much GPU power for a game that doesn't focus on graphics fidelity, it will help by relieving the CPU to do way more important stuff like, it would also help with headroom for proper audio stuff, high-quality sorround audio could also be improved, there are things that can be done even with existing audio files.

Certainly the audio thing has to be improved as is, many times explosions don't make a sound, and usually when a crash happens there's a freeze, and audio's always quite a bit late.

It may make the whole game more stable and clean, the FPS would be more stable, less chances of hicckups of some kind of stuttering, and ofcourse, you would have less lag when there's missiles and heavy physics calculations going on, which means more action possible.

There's definitely some GFX effects that could be enabled and used without that much hard work, like the heat exhaust thing, it doesn't need a team of map builders to work on that for 6 months, even the freebies would make a difference in overal graphical look.

See, it doesn't have to be the high-fidelity GFX reason, that's only one of the 3, the CPU bound branch is the natural one DCS would take.

0GRHCNw.png

And now it looks like it's not going to be that hard, once all the SDKs and Validation stuff is robust.

Blw7xUu.png

A comment on one tech site article: Talking about Doom 4 Vulkan Patch

This patch has been a revelation on my Core i5 4440, R9 290 (4GB) machine.

Previously I was one of the unfortunate few who couldn't play for a month due to driver-related pc-rebooting freezing problems. It was only fixed by downgrading the drivers by about 3 months. Even then, at high settings @1440p I couldn't have vsync on due to sub-60 drops (which makes it switch to 30fps.), so instead was subjected to a screen-tearing 40-90fps throughout the course of a typical level. Even the loading screens were janky.

Now, the game sits at 80-90fps+ at all times, even in hectic battles. I can reliably keep vsync on, and even during the loading screens, the game is smooth.

I may even be able to flirt with some Ultra settings. What a time to be alive.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

DCS's next big Graphics API evolution would likely be DirectX 12, but not anytime soon.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DirectX 12 is not the same as DirectX 11,

Maybe running small Engines like Frostbite,

however DX12 really shines in large Scale, Large Object Scenes (ie DCS's Battlefield, ArmA III's Battlefield, etc

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Well I did watch this and the work that needs to be done compared to OpenGL is ofcourse significant.

[ame]

[/ame]

Even tho they are doing so much to make it easier, it's still a lot more work for a dev than it usually was. If DX12 is really that much easier than Vulkan then I guess it beats with ED if they think they can't just commit that much into just a graphics API.

I'm not going to Win10 anytime soon either, until I actually customize the heck out of it and wait until it stabilizes, so I don't mind if it's DX12, but, I hope I'll mainly move to Win10 if I can make it to work as good as Win7, before that happens, so I won't need to run two OSes and switch over every time I want to run DCS.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Vulkan would be awesome, much easier to make cross platform with OSX or Linux too... not to mention, anything to get away from being dependant on Microslaush...

if there's one good thing about vulkan, it's that microsoft sucks, and people only use anything by microsoft because their software requires it... so anything that uses openGL or vulkan, or anything but DX, is a good thing, one less thing microsoft can monopolize.

it means microsoft has to work harder, and do what people want more, in order to keep their profits up... instead of just tell people "this is what you get, live with it, and give us money."

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even the dolphin-emu guys already done it basically for a first release https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935

Can't be that hard, right ?

There is this rendering hitch with airplane TV monitors in DCS, right now I'm having it in A10-A when I enter TV mode during weapon switching , I'm not sure if it was there with 1.2 since I didn't had FC3 back then, but supposably a new API and renderer should be expected to fix , or it's really that problematic area and not done in other games?

Shouldn't a move to DX11 from DX9 fix that a bit, because I do remember these TV issues being talked on the forum as well as in changelogs. DCS takes a big hit if all these little things take a resources chunk. Hopefully i'll be easier and less bugger to implement this in DX12 if chosen.

EDIT: Since DCS took this big lead into VR while it was still in early stages, that took me by surprise, and when VR would really need the new APIs to shine, it's kinda pity.

Edited by Worrazen