Crossing The Inguri River

Ripcord

So this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but after all these years messing with ME, I've never really found a spot on the Inguri River, south of the main bridge at Zugdidi, where units can cross.

Or maybe there used to be some places and now it is no longer possible? Getting old -- might be imagining this but it did seem there was one real narrow point downriver where motorized troops could get across. Not finding that place now, and maybe it was never there.

Anybody care to share some tribal knowledge on this subject?

Is there basically no way to launch a major invasion south of that bridge?

It looks like you have to want to launch a major offensive from Abkhazia in to the Samogrelo region of Georgia, then you have 3 options:

* go over the bridge (easy if nobody is shooting at you),

* go around up river, through Dzhvari,

* Airmobile/airborne methods.

Am I not assessing this accurately?

If I am, then it presents an interesting tactical puzzle, does it not?

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

We have the same problem. Never figured out a way to cross other than that bridge. Really annoying.

Looking at google maps there are not many other bridges in RL either. But there seem to be some smaller road bridges. Too small roads for DCS to model, unfortunately..

A more accurate road coverage in DCS would be nice..

Maybe we need the Leguan :)

leguan_leo2.jpg

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Master Z, I like your idea about the tracked bridge-layer. I had that thought as well.

Actually a simpler thing to implement would be for ED to add bridges as static objects. Then we could simulate 'engineering' units in the fields, using mobile units that we already have, and throw in a trigger to two and voila! You know have another quick and easy mission objective. (a) eliminate the engineering forces before they can construct the bridge, and (b) failing that, take out the bridge before forces can cross. Fun to play and not hard to create in ME (assuming we had a bridge object to place on the map, of course).

Edited by Ripcord

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]