Using the RP-22 to find Helicopters

Rainbowgeorge

Hey everyone.

Today i was wondering if i can lock up helicopters with my radar,

so i can find and shoot them with R3R's.

I know that i could use the fixed beam mode to lock them,

but its really hard to spot helos in MP.

So ive tried it with the LST - Mode of my radar

and i turned the groud clutter filter on and tilted the antenna 1.5° up.

But i cannot find them at all.

Any ideas?

Thank you

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

THRUSTMASTER TFRP + T.Flight Hotas X / TrackIR 5

There's a radar button that will account for slow moving or slow speed targets. Forget which one atm but look it up in the manual. It might not be 100 percent but it may help.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Don't even bother, helis useally fly low and slow, and this radar can't detect anything below 10000 feet. Im even taking it further, forget that the radar even exist, just load up IR's unless your going for targets flying really really high....:( The only thing this radar is good for is getting high, drinking it's cooling liquid..

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM

Try to fly inverted ;)

Untill it's fixed ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

..., just load up IR's unless your going for targets flying really really high....:( ...

I found the only way to kill helicopters is by using the cannon, as even the R-3S or R-60's won't lock on.

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

My problem when attacking helis with the R-60M is that by the time the missile gets tone you're practically inside minimum range. This is vs a Ka-50, attacking from slightly above, side aspect (so the missile is looking right down his exhaust pipe). In my experience AI helicopters are also psychic and will know to launch flares the moment your missile leaves the rail, even if you fire from directly astern where they have no windows :music_whistling:

Don't even bother, helis useally fly low and slow, and this radar can't detect anything below 10000 feet. Im even taking it further, forget that the radar even exist, just load up IR's unless your going for targets flying really really high....:( The only thing this radar is good for is getting high, drinking it's cooling liquid..

It has to do with the speed of the target and the relative altitude towards the radar. The radar is designed to look forward, up and a bit down. It has nothing to do with your altitude bit with the radar search angle. Oh yeah...you also spot some ground clutter with the radar :)

DCS World, A10C, AV8B, M2k, FA18C, FC3, MIG21

The IR signature of a helo is considerably smaller than what R-3S's and R-60's are made to seek out. You can do it, I've done it several times, but you're usually only about a second out of gun range at that point.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I would think the section "Launching P-3C and P-13M Missiles at Transport Aircraft" would be the most relevant to engaging helicopters due to similar heat characteristics. Although perhaps turbine helicopters are slightly hotter than turboprop airplanes. It anticipates a distinct signal is heard at 1400-1800m.

Since the RP-22 isn't a Doppler radar it shouldn't treat a helicopter any differently than a large metal mass in the sky. The "target-speed screenout" which is disabled by the LST button has no impact on the scanning mode. LST only matters in the attempt to enter autotracking mode. Attempting to lock a slow target (slow aircraft, chaff, ground clutter, cloud) will illuminate the passive ECM buttonlight and the autotracking is aborted.

The LST disables this restriction from autotracking slow objects making it vulnerable to locking onto slow clutter (chaff, cloud, etc.) but it is able to autotrack slow aircraft.

Passive ECM is the opposite, removing slow clutter in the autotracking mode to facilitate operation in chaff environment. Passive ECM does nothing in the scanning mode for chaff dispensing targets. Passive ECM mode will automatically engage if the autotracked target begins to dispense chaff while it is being tracked. Normally the target will continue being tracked during this change but may fail to maintain track as the passive ECM circuit is engaged. The pilot will know because the track fails and the passive ECM buttonlight is illuminated.

Note that the 300km/h screenout is relative to the ground (or rather anti of the assumed TAS), not the relative motion of the MiG and target. Target radial velocity which is low (perhaps 500 km/h target being chased at 500 km/h) is not filtered out. The radar is not susceptible to notching as it is not Doppler and has no Doppler notch to exploit.

A low-speed chaff-dispensing target requires two incompatible settings, LST and Passive ECM and must be attacked visually or with aid of the radar in the scanning mode (or fixed beam) only. Autotracking will not be possible.

Engaging helicopters with LST engaged and autotracking may be frustrated by "natural chaff" such as clouds, ground clutter, and other trackable returns which are normally prevented.

Helicopters like Mi-8 can be and some like Ka-50 are equipped with heat dispensers which significantly reduce the heat signature. At least from my observations when flying Mi-8 equipping them makes a difference.

As for MiG-21bis the most reliable thing to do would be just to go with guns. The radar effectiveness at altitudes below 1000m becomes substantially affected by the ground clutter. Also according to manual the pilot should position himself 300-500 below the target.

Even putting aside for a while the question if the radar would be able to distinguish the target from a ground clatter at such small altitude, flying 300-500 below the target might be rather difficult when the target is a ground hugging helicopter :D

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Unless the helo is moving away from you at a significant altitude or is stationary you really shouldn't be engaging it at all, call in to gci and let the friendly attack helos and CAS assets take care of it for you.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Interesting read on the topic..use google translator. In short, during the Balkan wars in 1992 a Yugoslav air force pilot shot down a Bell 206 or as some sources say 205 with IR missiles, presumably R-60. The engagement took place at about 100m AGL with the MiG closing in on the helicopter at around 1000m in 5 seconds. The effective launch distance in that situation was 1200m max and 1000m min which left the pilot a window of 1 second to react. He launched one after another..one missile went for the sun while the other hit the target. Something like that was not done before and was never attempted again. The pilot reactions and decision on how to manouver to fulfill the mission was improvisation and self-initiative as that was a situation nobody had ever trained for. Here is a link to the article

http://117virtualnilovackipuk.page.tl/Emir-%26%23352%3Bi%26%23353%3Bi%26%23263%3B-Story.htm