Advice needed: Seat + Motion Platform

Hi all!

Been a lurker here for a long time, but finally took the plunge and registered. A large part of my increased involvement has been stimulated by Edge (amazing!) and Oculus support (double amazing!). I spend all of my time in DCS now. I almost exclusively fly WWII birds, and only hop into the A-10 to reminisce about how far things have come since the A-10 Attack! series in the 90s ;)

So I'm looking to upgrade my sim pit. I scoured the forums for reviews, but didn't find anything for a lot of the products I've discovered. The oculus is so immersive that I'm now down the rabbit hole looking for ways to round out the experience with motion.

Current gear

• Warthog HOTAS w/ 7.5cm extension, center mounted
  • Saitek rudder pedals
  • Jetseat + Simshaker

Sim seat requirements

• Fit in a 5.5' x 3' space
  • Foot plate for rudder pedals
  • Easy to center mount stick (this seems like a hard thing to find!)
  • Compatible with Next Level Motion v2
  • Possible to attach Oculus Rift IR camera to moving base
  • Not a lot of extra crap for monitor mounts (don't need them with Rift)

Products I'm considering

My question for all of you: Experience with any of these products? Knowledge of superior alternatives?

I'm thankful for your thoughts in advance :thumbup: I'll keep this thread updated with progress / new ideas.

Edited by mrsparks

On the Obuttu seats, there was a recent thread that went into it in detail. With center mounted TM Warthog. Search should bring it up quickly.

FYI, I just use Google for the search. I tell google to search the forums using the three keywords that follow.

site:forums.eagle.ru obuttu warthog rudder

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

@hansangb - thanks for the thread reference! Will read. I've searched the forum using google before, but didn't find anything listing all the options available. Will look again.

@Brewnix - Nice! A lot of the hardware on other forums focuses on racing sims. I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with commercial motion platforms in flight sims specifically. But still, I agree - it's a great resource for learning what's out there. Thanks!

Whats your budget? I could do a seat/sim for you but freight might be a bit of an issues from NZ.

Check out CKAS for motion platforms if you are serious.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

I have the next level cockpit but I would not recommend it to anyone as I have had to do a bit of modifying to get it right and when paying that sort of money you shouldn't need to.. one of the problems is the seat. Because it wraps around your head you keep banging your oculus rift on it everytime you try to look behind.

I have the next level cockpit but I would not recommend it to anyone as I have had to do a bit of modifying to get it right and when paying that sort of money you shouldn't need to.. one of the problems is the seat. Because it wraps around your head you keep banging your oculus rift on it everytime you try to look behind.

Hey Nescafe wondering about how the rift is when your moving around in the seat. every time you roll left and right or pitch does the rift register your unwanted head movements? Like lets say the sudden jerk of the chair to the right. Your head flops back and forth or side to side you would see that on the rift?

How about this machine, [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfjJBB-s4Vw[/ame]

Just Google "360 Degree flight sim"

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can offer two years of experience in the Obutto. When you are in it, there is no getting out of it, the ergonomics side is fantastic, but I did find it had a large effect on my lifestyle as i am a remote worker and even though I could use it for work it was a desk i could lose four hours in without moving. Certain lifestyles will find this OK, other may find themselves doing long term damage to their body, i'm dead serious. I used a 1up 1down monitor, touch screen on the bottom and side by side (F16 style) hotas placement. Keyboard would sling just in front of the lower monitor and it was all a squeeze that means your monitor sizes cannot be too high.

My pal recommends simshaker a lot. I can hear him crash and the pain in his voice as his...welll you already know, but its funny...

Edited by Pikey
tpyos

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hey Nescafe wondering about how the rift is when your moving around in the seat. every time you roll left and right or pitch does the rift register your unwanted head movements? Like lets say the sudden jerk of the chair to the right. Your head flops back and forth or side to side you would see that on the rift?

How about this machine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfjJBB-s4Vw

Just Google "360 Degree flight sim"

Sorry i dont have the motion platform just the cockpit.

Also there are a few kickstarter for 6DOF seats. Worth googling. Or in this forum (I posted it a few weeks back)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@Brewnix - that looks awesome! It does seem to lag quite a bit tho... I definitely wish we'd have had the chance to chat about a contract-build before pulling the trigger on the A3. Still, I'm interested in what you've built. Links?

So UPDATE:

I ended up going with the Atomic A3:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/b2GbJ2wthXg

Quite a bit pricier than the Next Level Motion V2, but seemed the right mix of features vs. cost. It has 30deg displacement on all axes (double the NLMv2), is faster, the whole platforms moves (not just the seat), you can mount the oculus camera to the base to avoid unwanted head movement, includes internal amp plus two tactile transducers ... you can see why I ended up choosing it :-)

ooops! No I didn't build it. I thinks its cool machine. My ultimate gaming chair!! I thought I would post what my googling for 360 degree flight sim came up with. I am looking forward to hearing about your A3 when you getting running that looks pretty cool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As of right now I just have a stationary pit but I have a buttkicker and simshaker, my own warthog ext, screen for MFCD's and a X55 Franken Throttle. I bought off of Ebay that had USB not recognized problem. So I gutted out all of its pcb boards with the help of Sokol1 on MMjoy2 and Debolestis his restoration thread and great site called OshPark. I rewired all the switches and added 2 more 4 way switches. All with the Mjoy2 and a promicro board.

3746529.jpg

3746531.jpg

But I think this design of a moving cockpit is probably pretty close to what I would want. It seems pretty balanced and efficient in the movement. Like it centralizes the weight. Seems to turn a little fast. But I think it could be engineered to work. Sega R360 I found a youtube just fast forward a little bit to see it in action. Thanks!

[ame]

[/ame]

heres another one. Good design

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@Brewnix - that looks awesome! It does seem to lag quite a bit tho... I definitely wish we'd have had the chance to chat about a contract-build before pulling the trigger on the A3. Still, I'm interested in what you've built. Links?

So UPDATE:

I ended up going with the Atomic A3:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/b2GbJ2wthXg

Quite a bit pricier than the Next Level Motion V2, but seemed the right mix of features vs. cost. It has 30deg displacement on all axes (double the NLMv2), is faster, the whole platforms moves (not just the seat), you can mount the oculus camera to the base to avoid unwanted head movement, includes internal amp plus two tactile transducers ... you can see why I ended up choosing it :-)

I'm intrigued! Does it work natively with DCS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

OT ..

Hey Brewnix, is that a set of Logitech Z5500's ??

Man how good were those darn things! They still blow me away considering how little they cost. Mine are still going strong after many years of sonic abuse.

Can you share some info or more photos of what you did to your stick setup? Is that floor mounted or a front extension to the seat? Doesn't come across well on those photos.

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

Hey DBO Thanks for asking. Yes they are the Z5500's i have had them for a long time too, They do sound good and you can push volume way up. Good quality.. As for the Mount my original mount was attached to the chair with a small platform just above the seat but when I got the Thrustmaster stick and i built the ext i need to place it on the center post the holds the table for the forth monitor with MFCD's. With the EXT i made I needed to move closer to the center between the seat and table. And the spring solution is temporary. I need to figure something else out.

picture.php?albumid=1169&pictureid=8354

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm intrigued! Does it work natively with DCS?

Yes, it does. It uses SimTools + DCS plugin:

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/motion-simulation-software-simtools.63/

*EDIT*

Discovered the plugin has an issue with the roll axis for 2DOF seat movers. Fix is here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2912408#post2912408

Edited by mrsparks