occulus with 1 eye

Tonedogg

Hi guys looking for some opinions. I love dcs, and running on a 32" screen and Tir, really want to try occulus but at £549 in UK. it may be a waste of money.

the problem is i have only 1 eye and reduced peripheral in the remaining eye, I know that I will not get any 3d effects, but would I still be able to get any immersion with the rift or will it just look weird or the same as just using a screen and Tir?

I did read on the net that someone tried and it gave them immersion but that's 1 person and not sure what they where testing it on, probably not DCS.

I think you'd still get an appreciable amount immersion. There's a lot to gain from the 1:1 tracking in 6 DoF and how the display fills your FOV.

It'd still be best to find a way to demo it first though before shelling out the cash.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Well, at the price difference between a decent tracking headset setup and the Cv1, I agree you should try it first.

I have to think that the negative trade-offs that are inherant in VR versus monitors (like awkward mouse and keyboard use, God rays, and etc) might make the positive aspects that normally, and (to me) significantly outweigh those negatives, a moot point if you can't get the 3D factor.

But once gain, I do strongly agree with Rico, that the only true way to know for your particular situation is to make every attempt to try it first in an environment that allows you some time with it, to see how it will or will not work for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

Hi Tonedogg,

To tell you the truth i dont know if it works at all with one eye,

But you never know :-) i think the best for you is to find a place or a shop where you can try the rift out before you buy it, its a lot of money, and it would be sad if you spend it for a Rift and its not working.

What you can do is, search on Google for a company witch rents the Oculus Rift for companies,or party's and explane your situation to them on the phone, and i think they will let you try a Rift without asking money.

Good luck my friend!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Matthias

Why doesn't someone try it and let the OP know what you find. Keep one eye closed or put a patch over one eye and post your results. I won't be home for a couple of days or I would try it now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

im having trouble imagining what if any immersive boost oculus could offer over a large 4k screen with head tracker here. It seems the loss of 3D would not be replaced by any other advantage. Just can't see it working for the $$$ - sorry. Just go and try out a galaxy VR at your local cell phone store.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Tried with one eye closed, and the loss of immersion, depth perception, and feeling of actually sitting in the cockpit, in the DCS virtual world, was surprisingly small. The biggest loss was the loss of horizontal view, loosing, dunno, 25-30% maybe? But no surprise there.

Now I cant fly with one eye closed for longer periods, due to a muscle disease, so the depth effect, or loss after more time, well I dont know. I know our brain fill in the gap's initially, but in extended use with one eye closed, the depth perception might disappear completely?

I know I lost it after a while in the real world, when back in the day, often had to close on eye because of double vision, and then it became hard to judge distance. Like two parked cars, each side of the road, slightly staggered. I wouldnt be able to tell, until very close, which one was nearest.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thanks for responses, keep them coming, will probably wait till sept and see if local currys/pcworld(UK) will give me a demo, looked at hiring 1 but at over £100 for a day I'll give that a miss.

wonder how good 3 monitor setup in surround mode would work?

Edited by Tonedogg

Works quite well. Gives you are nice peripheral experience. But I always mis height, cant get enough height for flying imo. It too is heavy in performance though, but not quite as demanding as VR. I was using it before the Rift. But with only one eye, you basicly wont see the monitor on that side, when looking straight. Closing my right eye here, with 3x40" around me (my eyes are about 85cm from the screens), side monitors at about 45 degree angle, I loose 80% of the right monitor.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thanks for responses, keep them coming, will probably wait till sept and see if local currys/pcworld(UK) will give me a demo, looked at hiring 1 but at over £100 for a day I'll give that a miss.

where in the uk are you from... if your local to me you are more than welcome to come and try mine:thumbup:

^^^^ Bravo for that nescafe! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

IMHO: That's really what's needed.

Somebody that has one and can let TD do a 'real' test with the sim he wants to use it with.

Good for you for making the offer!! :clap_2: :clap_2: :)

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

knock knock when you tried with 1 eye closed did you get the sense of speed etc similar to with both eyes?

Pretty much. You loose a little, due to speed sensation being a result of peripheral vision / FOV. Less FOV, less speed sensation. But doubt its noticeable when not looking for a difference.

if you live near Hampshire you are welcome to come round and try - msg me if you are interested

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Thanks for the offers guys, but with my condition I'm not allowed to drive anymore :( rift comes out on 20th sept (UK) so if currys won't let me have a demo I may take a punt order online then use distance selling act to get refund if it's not doing anything for me, or wait and see what the raze osvr is like when it is properly released. on a side note wonder how many other 1 eyed air warriors fly DCS, and how they get on?

• 5 weeks later...

Update

Hi, guys well took the plunge, and here's my findings, as everyone notes screen door effect is a downer, but the immersion is great, even though I have no real 3d vision, it still looks more in depth (if that's the right explanation) than on a screen, being able to actually look around objects in the aircraft, and yes it does feel like I can reach out and touch them. I get a better sense of awareness of the terrain, it feels like I'm in the terrain not just watching it like on tv.

biggest thing to get over was looking around, as was using Tir before, was strange the image not moving. the 1 big downside is I really have to crank my neck or swivel round to see whats behind as I have no peripheral vision.

but overall a big thumbs up for OR.

anyone else with 1 eye considering getting vr, if you can manage the price, it will still give you immersion, damn I wish I had full vision :)

Good to read that it is giving you your money's worth Tonedogg! :)

Yeah ... the screen door affects us all, but it sorta fades away after a bit and the trade-off for the immersiveness makes it almost a complete moot point.

It sounds like it can pretty much mimic your normal non-HMD equipped eyesight fairly well.

That's great news! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.