PicksKing Modded Texture Compilation PMTC V2.2

PicksKing, is there any chance we could get listed which files belong to each "parent" texture addon?

That we could be able to update your wonderful addon by ourselves with the new updates, like the new Mustang's grass textures released.

I can only list it out of my mind so it can be wrong. I never noted it somewhere, where exactly I took each file from.

Barthek:

-noise1 for spring, summer and autumn from version 5 or 6

-trees from version 5

-mountains from version 4

Starway

-town, city, factory and runways

Mustang:

-roads

-maybe riversides and coasts

-"SmallShit_Grass"

By me:

-the very most fields and grass (not "SmallShit_Grass")

-noise1 for winter with distantly related base from a very old mod by BЗOP

I think the rest are adjusted vanilla files.

But if you think you just can replace some files and everything will fit, you will be disappointed. All files need to be adjusted to make them match.

Another thing is, that I dont think additional work for a 1.5.x texture mod is worth the time. Hopefully in a not so distant future DCS2.5 will be released and will make all present texture mods obsolete and if ED will have done a good job, what I think indeed, such mods wont be necessary any more. So you maybe better spent your time in a cockpit instead in photoshop :)

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I can only list it out of my mind so it can be wrong. I never noted it somewhere, where exactly I took each file from.

Barthek:

-noise1 for spring, summer and autumn from version 5 or 6

-trees from version 5

-mountains from version 4

Starway

-town, city, factory and runways

Mustang:

-roads

-maybe riversides and coasts

-"SmallShit_Grass"

By me:

-the very most fields and grass (not "SmallShit_Grass")

-noise1 for winter with distantly related base from a very old mod by BЗOP

I think the rest are adjusted vanilla files.

But if you think you just can replace some files and everything will fit, you will be disappointed. All files need to be adjusted to make them match.

Another thing is, that I dont think additional work for a 1.5.x texture mod is worth the time. Hopefully in a not so distant future DCS2.5 will be released and will make all present texture mods obsolete and if ED will have done a good job, what I think indeed, such mods wont be necessary any more. So you maybe better spent your time in a cockpit instead in photoshop :)

Then I think I will leave it as is, and enjoy the already beutiful work done. Thank you very much for your detailed response and the georgeous amount of work you have invested. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2.3

Download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9RdWGsELsUHYlp1WllkaGtNWUk

Note

- fixed tree problem

- alternative noise1 texture (original by Starway)

- alternative winter with less snow

Install it in the usual way. Unpack the archive into the main folder. Thats it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=159609&stc=1&d=1490288292

attachment.php?attachmentid=159610&stc=1&d=1490288292

attachment.php?attachmentid=159611&stc=1&d=1490288292

attachment.php?attachmentid=159612&stc=1&d=1490288299

Screen_170323_175125.thumb.jpg.e27b29a9e46fd852807f7d3064b248ac.jpg

Screen_170323_175204.thumb.jpg.411b29dd4e806e120326ccb97d54cae9.jpg

Screen_170323_175243.thumb.jpg.93bb7ec164029e0399237a3c6c1a3d05.jpg

Screen_170323_175322.thumb.jpg.19ac739f836cbcdeb2e0a769bd3eecc4.jpg

Edited by PicksKing
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Could be me, tried twice same thing

I tried to download & got 1.9Gb file (it states 2 in your drive) but when I extract the 1.9Gb file using 7zip it tells me it's not a valid archive

Any clues???

I just tried it and everything works fine. The problem may be caused by 7zip. I guess it cannot handle the newer versions of RAR archives. Try WinRAR 5.40. This is what I use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An update, wasn't expecting that. Great, many thanks! Your compilation is my go-to textures since quite a while. It's just a spot on. The most balanced one, not too washed out and not too colorful.

One think that was always bothering me in DCS. Why do the trees have leafs during the winter season. Are there any "no-leafs" mods?

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I just tried it and everything works fine. The problem may be caused by 7zip. I guess it cannot handle the newer versions of RAR archives. Try WinRAR 5.40. This is what I use.

Mea Culpa, using an old version upgraded 7 zip and I got it to extract no problem

Many Thanks for the mod and for assisting my dumb old ass :thumbup:

Great work, the pack is compatible with JSGME?

:thumbup:

I dont use JSGME but if my memory is right it should work.

Create a folder (with any name) in your JSGME mod folder and unzip the archive into it. Then simply activate it with the mod manager.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It looks like in this version the winter/snow is toned down a huge, huge, huge, amount, and lots of the ghost/floating/fake trees are back? Or am I missing something?

No its not toned down. The base texture underneath the snow is the same as autumn. Its darker because the sun doesnt climb so high in winter.

Do you mean with "ghost/floating/fake trees" the flat trees embedded into the ground texture, than yes. But no trees. Bushes I would say.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No its not toned down. The base texture underneath the snow is the same as autumn. Its darker because the sun doesnt climb so high in winter.

Do you mean with "ghost/floating/fake trees" the flat trees embedded into the ground texture, than yes. But no trees. Bushes I would say.

By toned down, I mean not much snow, so it is still most (dark) green/brown rather than white. In 2.2 there was deep fields of snow, so it looked like a northern Europe or Canadian winter: lots of white. In 2.3, it is just a sprinklng of snow.

And in 2.2, many of the fake trees were reduced to flat dark green textures --- which is great from a helo (specifically Gazelle) pilot's perspective, as it evens the playing field (you can see what the AI sees). But it seems that in 2.3, they are back?

And in 2.2, many of the fake trees were reduced to flat dark green textures --- which is great from a helo (specifically Gazelle) pilot's perspective, as it evens the playing field (you can see what the AI sees). But it seems that in 2.3, they are back?

Im not sure what you mean with fake trees. Maybe you should make screenshot and show me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im not sure what you mean with fake trees. Maybe you should make screenshot and show me.

I think he means these

FqMbzKyiuBg

the tree models have been messed up ever since 1.5.5, something broke the tree models during the conversion and it is not the fault of any mod - ED needs to fix this (and i am trying hard to get it corrected cause this is one ugly bug)

So I call them fake trees because they have no collision model and you can fly through them, but also because even visually they are variable depending on tree density. Whereas there are other trees that are permanent.

These fake trees are annoying because the Ai can see right through them, but you cannot. They are thus usless for masking. Moreover, in many places they do a weird Pandora thing where they float high above the ground.

In 2.2 (and the main attraction for me), these trees were removed.

But they are back with a vengence in 2.3: http://imgur.com/a/DWq7j

AKKGbg9.jpg

RnTlY71.jpg

aObwuWA.jpg

Whereas in 2.2, they were thankfully banished:

http://imgur.com/a/No3xy

6wzgu83.jpg

JtTjDJE.jpg

Note the floating tree issues are also there with stock, so it is an ED bug. But your terrain mod removed the trees altogether, thus providing a clean terrain which is much, much, much, much, much, better for both tactical as well as immersion purposes rather than the fake, ghost, floating trees ....

Also, see the difference in snow cover? That's what I was referring to :)

So I call them fake trees because they have no collision model and you can fly through them, but also because even visually they are variable depending on tree density. Whereas there are other trees that are permanent.

These fake trees are annoying because the Ai can see right through them, but you cannot. They are thus usless for masking. Moreover, in many places they do a weird Pandora thing where they float high above the ground.

[...]

Note the floating tree issues are also there with stock, so it is an ED bug. But your terrain mod removed the trees altogether, thus providing a clean terrain which is much, much, much, much, much, better for both tactical as well as immersion purposes rather than the fake, ghost, floating trees ....

Also, see the difference in snow cover? That's what I was referring to :)

Indeed this issue is not caused by any texture mod. The trees always were ghosts in DCS1.5. Mustang made an awesome "no tree shadow mod" which removed all tree shadows (for better performance) and made the color shading more uniform. It looked much much better with this mod but since 1.5.5 Mustangs mod is not compatible any more. This incompatibility caused the total removal of all forests so I removed his mod and restored the standard tree models. If you want to remove the trees again and use PMTC V2.3,

navigate to

"Mods\terrains\CaucasusBase\Structures\High\EDM"

inside the mod archive of PMTC V2.2 and copy and paste all files in there to

"C:\...\DCS World\Mods\terrains\CaucasusBase\Structures\High\EDM"

This will remove all forests again. You can combine this with any textures. Even with the standard files.

Yes I removed a lot snow from the winter map. Somehow I like this way more and I couldnt bear the old one any more. But I will keep V2.2 online. So feel free to restore the old stuff.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed this issue is not caused by any texture mod. The trees always were ghosts in DCS1.5. Mustang made an awesome "no tree shadow mod" which removed all tree shadows (for better performance) and made the color shading more uniform. It looked much much better with this mod but since 1.5.5 Mustangs mod is not compatible any more. This incompatibility caused the total removal of all forests so I removed his mod and restored the standard tree models.

Ah, I get it. So what I thought was a "feature" was really a bug! I.e., the clean terrain was due to the incompatibility of the no tree shadow mod with 1.5.5+.

If you want to remove the trees again and use PMTC V2.3,

navigate to

"Mods\terrains\CaucasusBase\Structures\High\EDM"

inside the mod archive of PMTC V2.2 and copy and paste all files in there to

"C:\...\DCS World\Mods\terrains\CaucasusBase\Structures\High\EDM"

This will remove all forests again. You can combine this with any textures. Even with the standard files.

Good to know, thanks!

Yes I removed a lot snow from the winter map. Somehow I like this way more and I couldnt bear the old one any more. But I will keep V2.2 online. So feel free to restore the old stuff.

I see the appeal of both! Too bad we cannot have five seasons, honestly: spring, summer, autumn/fall, light winter, deep winter ...

I see the appeal of both! Too bad we cannot have five seasons, honestly: spring, summer, autumn/fall, light winter, deep winter ...

I racked my brain about this question. My idea, which I surely cannot realise, was to make it possible, that the season textures will fade into each other. For example in may, its spring with the associated spring textures. Later the month will draw to its end and the textures for summer raise the opacity day by day a litte more until the summer textures completely replace the spring textures. Same principle for seasons change summer/autumn. From autumn to winter its getting a little more complicated. You cannot overlay autumn textures with 50% snow white winter textures in mid december. That would look ugly. And of course the snow cover is just there from one day to another.

So the standard winter textures may not have snow on them. The snow cover is simply a separate option in mission editor with several gradations and (same as precipitation) it depends on temperatur. +20°C and the snow option is blocked.

All this would create a natural and more continuous seasons change.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Too bad we cannot have five seasons, honestly: spring, summer, autumn/fall, light winter, deep winter ...

Seems there are somewhere a five(+) season mod :( what is 3 years old

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1999932#post1999932

PkkI9Gf.jpg

And I found some screenshots of an interesting old mod too. Longer wingtip vortices but the vortices more visible at higher Gs. :shocking: (it must be 3 yrs old too)

ZWxdlHl.jpg

VneGTpb.jpg

I think he means these

FqMbzKyiuBg

the tree models have been messed up ever since 1.5.5, something broke the tree models during the conversion and it is not the fault of any mod - ED needs to fix this (and i am trying hard to get it corrected cause this is one ugly bug)

About those fake trees above: IIRC modders talked about silly ED erased the back face culling and non-culling function in DCS shaders and in EDM models :doh:, so I guess the problem is those trees got only 1 sided polygons that's why faces cannot be visible as earlier as a non back face culled models. (back faces were visible in that case but without shading on the back side)

Edited by Plagi_Arism

May the THRUST be with you

• 1 month later...
Update 2.3

Download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9RdWGsELsUHYlp1WllkaGtNWUk

Note

- fixed tree problem

- alternative noise1 texture (original by Starway)

- alternative winter with less snow

Install it in the usual way. Unpack the archive into the main folder. Thats it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=159609&stc=1&d=1490288292

attachment.php?attachmentid=159610&stc=1&d=1490288292

attachment.php?attachmentid=159611&stc=1&d=1490288292

attachment.php?attachmentid=159612&stc=1&d=1490288299

Archive is corrupt :helpsmilie:

YouTube - WaffenCatLive

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 | ASrock Fatal1ty K4 gaming x470 | SSD m.2 Samsung 970 EVO | AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (4.3Ghz) | RAM 32G ddr4 ballistix Sport (3200MHz) | Super JetStream GeForce RTX2080 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No its not. You need to update your Winrar or 7zip.

Thank you. Need 2.2 version?

YouTube - WaffenCatLive

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 | ASrock Fatal1ty K4 gaming x470 | SSD m.2 Samsung 970 EVO | AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (4.3Ghz) | RAM 32G ddr4 ballistix Sport (3200MHz) | Super JetStream GeForce RTX2080 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]