F-5E nose gear steering.

VIKBELL

I have a question BELSIMTEK , Should the nose gear center hydraulicly when you release the nose gear steering. I worked on Aircraft spanning from B-52G , Kc-135A to new modern jets and that is something that is designed in .. I had a couple of guys that used to work on the T-38 at Nasa. They said that the centering in normal behavior of the nose gear. It wanted to center when released. I looked through the Flight manuals and found nothing say anything about it. However I would like to know if how it is model is what was found in other references? Thank you for aircraft.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

I have a question BELSIMTEK , Should the nose gear center hydraulicly when you release the nose gear steering. I worked on Aircraft spanning from B-52G , Kc-135A to new modern jets and that is something that is designed in .. I had a couple of guys that used to work on the T-38 at Nasa. They said that the centering in normal behavior of the nose gear. It wanted to center when released. I looked through the Flight manuals and found nothing say anything about it. However I would like to know if how it is model is what was found in other references? Thank you for aircraft.

Put rudder centered and clic in the nose wheel steering button. Easy.

Edit. It seems that I did not read the question properly... that is why I answered this way. Sorry!

Edited by ESAc_matador

• 4 months later...

I agree VIKEBELL below is a Quote from BST F5E manual page 55

The nose gear is equipped with a nosewheel steering system. Nosewheel steering is engaged when the steering button on the control stick is depressed |S|. The rudder pedals are used to actuate/turn the nosewheel (|Z| - left, |X| - right). When the nosewheel steering system is disengaged, the nosewheel swivels freely.

The underlined part above is not happening. When I let go of the button the plane continues to turn in the direction the nose wheel was pointed. If it is swivels freely the nose will will straighten out.

Hi VIKBELL, I too have searched through USAF TO 1F-5E-1 can cannot find any references to what the nosewheel should do specifically when the button is released, other than that nosewheel shimmy damping is still available (obviously). Notable here is that is provides LESS information than the Belsimtek manual.

I disagree with Erk104 however; just because a nosewheel swivels freely doesn't mean its natural tendency is to straighten, particularly when a turn has already been started. If this were the case it would be impossible to taxi aircraft like the Cirrus SR22 or the Grumman AA family that have strictly free castering nose wheels. I am traveling for work so I can't check myself but I think the best way to check if the nose wheel is indeed swiveling freely on the F5 would be to leave the NWS disengaged and attempt to use differential thrust and braking to turn. If the airplane can turn using this method, the nose wheel is swiveling freely.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

The more I think about this, maybe saying I disagree with Erk104 was too strong. While I am pretty sure the nosewheel is swiveling, maybe the issue with its behavior is that is doesn't feel like it is swiveling freely enough- I don't know how to quantify this though, and without being able to find something in print in an actual aircraft manual getting the aircraft behavior changed might be a tough sell.

Multiplayer as Variable

I agree VIKEBELL below is a Quote from BST F5E manual page 55

The nose gear is equipped with a nosewheel steering system. Nosewheel steering is engaged when the steering button on the control stick is depressed |S|. The rudder pedals are used to actuate/turn the nosewheel (|Z| - left, |X| - right). When the nosewheel steering system is disengaged, the nosewheel swivels freely.

The underlined part above is not happening. When I let go of the button the plane continues to turn in the direction the nose wheel was pointed. If it is swivels freely the nose will will straighten out.

Note that it says nosewheel steering system and not nosewheel steering button.

It might not be the same thing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 1 year later...

F5e nose wheel steer

Okay I've got a question. I apologize if this is not in the right section or formulated is a proper message, however I am having difficulty with C nose gear steering on my other phone. When I press the PS button the steering continues to stare right constantly when I let go of the S button it straightens up I believe but will not turn left for some reason based on my joystick. Perhaps I need to map my rotors and then it will steer right and left? Again I apologize for the message. On new to The Forum

Interesting thread, I also noticed that there is a weird behaviour when releasing the sterring button, like it doesnt feel like swivel freely enough...

What does "freely enough" mean?

If steering button is not pressed, the nose wheel will not move left or right until a force is put on it. Through the straight design (unlike the Su-27 or MiG-29) of the nose wheel strut, there is nearly no force effecting it, even if the plane is in a turn. So the plane keeps to turn.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System: Windows 10 Pro | i9 9900K | 32GB RAM (3200 MHz) | RTX-2080s | SSD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

Okay I've got a question. I apologize if this is not in the right section or formulated is a proper message, however I am having difficulty with C nose gear steering on my other phone. When I press the PS button the steering continues to stare right constantly when I let go of the S button it straightens up I believe but will not turn left for some reason based on my joystick. Perhaps I need to map my rotors and then it will steer right and left? Again I apologize for the message. On new to The Forum

Check your mappings. The nose wheel turns with your rudder pedals when the NWS button is depressed. Make sure only one axis is mapped to the rudder. Then look at your aircraft in the F2 view to see how the nose wheel is behaving.

Multiplayer as Variable

With the nosewheel steering button pressed and held, nosewheel steering is controlled by movement of the rudder pedals. When released, the nosewheel will be held in orientation it was pointing when you released it. To go straight down the runway, you need to hold the button in until you are pointing and traveling down the runway forward a bit, to ensure the nosewheel is inline with the fuselage.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Another interesting feature is that the NWS is self-calibrating based on resistance to turn. It's part of the pre-taxi procedure to, while stationary, drive the pedals fully left and right. The system is torque-limited. While stationary and steering is attempted the torque limit may be reached prior to full deflection.

If I had to guess at the design NWS would be naturally feathering as the airplane is driven straight when NWS is off. It wouldn't be completely free of resistance as movement like a shopping cart caster would be by hydraulic fluid passing a small hole.

The notion that NWS button released and the NW locks in angle is very unlikely.

As I understand it, it free-castors back to center (there is no hydraulic pressure applied to center it).

If you make a turn and stop the aircraft while turning, the nose gear will NOT center.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."