Need help building new computer for DCS

I always like to put priority on the graphics card and CPU for gaming/sims. Everything else is secondary, as these two components are what gets the performance.

With that in mind the key is to put most of your budget into the graphics card and CPU components.

Here's what I would change:

• Lower to only 8Gb of RAM - 8GB will be plenty to run DCS smoothly in most scenarios (and it's very easy to throw in an extra stick of 8GB in a few years time if needed)
  • Cheaper motherboard - get a micro ATX size and/or H series - not as performant as a Z series, but that's easily gained back many times over with a better graphics card.
  • $199 seems like a lot for Windows 7 OEM. Go with Windows 10 Home, and save yourself $112 unless you need the premium functions like RDP server and joining to domains etc(most people don't).

With the the savings, you can now put the money towards a better video card like a GTX 1060, GTX 970 or at least GTX 960.

Also I noticed you didn't include a harddrive, so I'm assuming you'll be re-using an old one? Not that hard drives are expensive anyway, so it won't make much difference to your budget either way.:thumbup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

If it were you would you feel safe running that set up? I'm ready to pull the trigger so I can get back into dcs since my other computer worked but with the updates I couldn't pay anu more on my laptop. Like I said I need a wireless adapter so I can connect to wifi and stuff.

Yeah like I said I'm brand new so I'm not sure exactly what to include and stuff. I need a hard drive as well.

All good, I just assumed because I tend to keep the same HDDs for several builds :)

If it were you would you feel safe running that set up? I'm ready to pull the trigger so I can get back into dcs since my other computer worked but with the updates I couldn't pay anu more on my laptop. Like I said I need a wireless adapter so I can connect to wifi and stuff.

It's probably worth waiting for someone else to double check that I haven't done something stupid but, if it was a PC for me I'd certainly be happy with it :joystick: It's all brandname components, and I made sure they all had decent reviews in case there was something really bad about them.

I've included a USB wifi adapter, I prefer them over the internal ones as I've had driver issues in the past, and it gets really old having to open the case to pull it out and in over and over when troubleshooting. And you also have the option of using a USB extension to position it better if signal is an issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Everything on the list looks like it will work out just fine.

-What I liked:

1) Good balance between CPU and GPU. DCS is more CPU driven but there wont be any issues with the i5-6500.

2) Great idea with the 6500 vs. the 6500K; saves on the added expense of a separate CPU cooler

You can purchase everything on the list at once if you like....up to you really.

Not sure where you live, but also check Craigslist for people seeing GPUs or other PC parts. Sometimes you get lucky.

Also, with a $800 budget, and needing a monitor, there are plenty "Gaming PCs" already available that will more than support DCS...

$650

http://www.microcenter.com/product/460713/Gamer_Ultra_GUA3700M_Desktop_Computer

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

May I ask as a System Builder why you buy such an expensive version of Windows 7 ?????

Home Premium too...16GB limit.... IF than I would go for Win7_64-Ultimate as a SytemBuilder ( not boxed but only foiled ) ( same price as your Home Pro if you look at right places, and it is LEGAL ).

I would just get Win10 as DX12 is very very promising and it will ONLY and ONLY be available on WIN10 and later editions but not for 7 or 8.

If you own a WIn7 lic., why dont you use that one ? saves you quite some bucks that you could use to pimp your CPU beyond 4GHz. TBH, I wouldnt buy a 3.2GHz CPU for DCS, not for 1.5.4 and not for 2.x. But that might be just me.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just gonna need time to put this all together one I get it. Never done this before so any advice? Is it that complicated?

It's fairly easy. If you know to put a circle into a circle hole, and square into a square hole you should be fine :)

But while it's shipping I would watch a few tutorials, there are somethings that help if you have seen how it's done.

And then there are some things that are a bit annoying such as attaching the case LED and Button pins to the motherboard. It's quite fiddly, and usually done at then end once it's already stopped being fun.

Cockpit Spectator Mode

you could use to pimp your CPU beyond 4GHz. TBH, I wouldnt buy a 3.2GHz CPU for DCS, not for 1.5.4 and not for 2.x. But that might be just me.

Of course, the faster the better. But it starts to get expensive, to get a worthwhile overclock you need better coolers/fans, K version CPU, better motherboard, better power supply etc

Otherwise you can only overclock a little bit, and there is not much point if it gets you an extra 5-10 fps.

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Of course, the faster the better. But it starts to get expensive, to get a worthwhile overclock you need better coolers/fans, K version CPU, better motherboard, better power supply etc

Otherwise you can only overclock a little bit, and there is not much point if it gets you an extra 5-10 fps.

The thing is, that CPU on your list wont get you far and you cant upgrade it later.

If you read some more on this forum you will find out that DCS really needs some extra ommps

beyond 4GHz to deliver enough frames.

I have been playing on a 3rd Gen 2.6GHz ( 3.0/3.2 Turbo ) and it was a nightmare.

You can always add a SSD or other stuff later and keep the old HW for a month until you saved some bucks again to complete it.

just my 2 cents as a SB

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just gonna need time to put this all together one I get it. Never done this before so any advice? Is it that complicated?

I've only done it once and that one time was my first. It took me four months to research all the different components and basically learn how a computer works. I started with knowing next to nothing about PCs. Then once I gathered all the components it took me 24 working hours from cutting tape on the first box to starting up DCS. And it was well worth it.

Here are some vids that helped me:

and of course....my build video (DCS specific gaming PC):

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

So I'm torn between do I get an i7 or an i5?

Here's my current setup:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Darkangel11/saved/g8dnQ7

Let me know what you guys think.

Doesnt fit, I would not build this 4 you !

1 x 8GB ???? unless you plant to buy a 2nd module soon you're stuck with 64bit instead of 128bit RAM addressing

Full-HD-60Hz ?? makes no sense, rather skip it, use your old one for a few weeks month and then go for a better one

CPU ?? see above why

HDD ??? unless you have a SSD waiting for those parts you better put the money from the monitor into a SSD and/or skip the HDD for now, use an old drive for now etc...

Honestly, not what you want and expect from what I understand as a system builder

Can anyone tell me if this will run DCS fairly good? I don't want to skate by to just be able to play but I want it to be decent to play on. Anyone?

Here's my current build I'm thinking of getting. Not looking to spend a shit ton and go broke.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Darkangel11/saved/g8dnQ7

It will work, if you can afford a 6600k thatd be better, but that build is good for less than 1k

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will it run it good or do u think there will be problems?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It will run good, but a K part overclocks much better, will last you longer.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]