Community A-4E

i will be the totaly unfunny guy by getting back to topic :)

Thank goodness!

Do you do all the stuff in pure LUA or is there a custom DLL involved for certain systems?

The functional and systems code is 100% lua. We also obviously have other types of files for the audio/images/gunsight/etc. , but nothing uses any custom DLLs or C/C++ code.

--gos

Edited by gospadin

Thank goodness!

The functional and systems code is 100% lua. We also obviously have other types of files for the audio/images/gunsight/etc. , but nothing uses any custom DLLs or C/C++ code.

--gos

Good to know all this is Lua code and possible,you guys have done an amaxing job with this project,congrats again to your team.:thumbup:

i demand to know who is going and where in the name of transparency

and also the duration of the delay down to the minute

Haha. Thanks for asking, the delay is now "two more weeks."

furthermore requesting a preview of the update because "it cant possibly take any amount of your time to write that"

It actually takes a good hour or two to put them together, and a lot longer when you consider the video filming, editing, and captioning. We just have a few things that are on the very edge of making it into this update, so I didn't want to post early, just in case they finish.

:music_whistling:

--gos

Haha. Thanks for asking, the delay is now "two more weeks."

It actually takes a good hour or two to put them together, and a lot longer when you consider the video filming, editing, and captioning. We just have a few things that are on the very edge of making it into this update, so I didn't want to post early, just in case they finish.

:music_whistling:

--gos

These sound like excuses, we want solutions and results and stuff and things! On a serious note, have fun on your vacation. I'm sure the grown up, mature users on this forum will patiently wait for your update :)

These sound like excuses, we want solutions and results and stuff and things! On a serious note, have fun on your vacation. I'm sure the grown up, mature users on this forum will patiently wait for your update :)

Actually, this one's a business trip to California for 2 days. Work laptop won't let me access these forums, and I'm terribad posting from the phone, hence the delay. (Unless one of my teammates feels like putting the final touches on our update and posting it.)

--gos

Community A-4E February 2017 Update

February 2017 Update

Before we get started on the content update (which made February by 55 minutes, pacific time), a quick announcement:

We want to say congratulations to gyrovague, who has accepted a position working with one of DCS's official 3rd party developers on a module you'll all be super excited to fly. I won't reveal which developer or which module right now, as I don't want to steal any more thunder than I already have.

As a result, to ensure no pollution of our codebase with SDK knowledge, he's stepping down from the Community A-4E project, effective immediately. The Community A-4E team has been honored to have his contributions for the last year, and he really stepped up with implementing a number of capabilities in the code we didn't think possible, like our positional audio, calibrated gunsight, three autopilot control systems, the profile mode for the APG-53/A radar, and our sidewinder lock tone support. He also helped invent and implement our radar display system, which helped turn our data feed into pixels on the screen. We'll miss him, but also use his creative contributions to push us to completion of the A-4E mod.

With that said, we'd like to share a few changes from the team in February:

Cold Start procedure

We figured out how to catch certain DCS event callbacks in Lua, which i.a. made some more interaction with the ground crew possible, and this in turn allowed us to hone the cold start procedure:

ySA-Nswwfmc

Gunsight calibration

By creating a mission file with ‘green gate’ waypoints, at 6000m horizontal distance, spaced 300m vertically apart (50 mil angle each) to give fixed visual references to aid in gunsight calibration, we've been able to accurately calibrate our gunsight.

Here's a quick video of the tuning:

68HPB0Hu8as

We also flipped the direction of the reflector glass w.r.t. the gunsight. Special thanks to https://www.youtube.com/user/iamslendermanQ517 for pointing out the error.

While we now have an accurately modeled gunsight, we now have the (good) problem of needing to re-create all of the gunsight mil tables from scratch. The reason (we believe) that we get mismatches (all bombs are landing long) is because the real ejection racks have small explosive charges that apply a downward force to bombs being released which isn't modeled in our SFM/SSM aircraft. Without this initial velocity vector, our munitions seem to land long by 20-25% or so, compared to what is expected from available data online.

We'll make sure we work in an accurate set of tables for standard munitions before release.

3D:

On the 3D front, we have a number of simple quality of life improvements to share.

After some discussion over ways to increase player customization, we implemented one of the simpler features. We placed a Photograph object into the bottom right corner of the cockpit, which is tied to a file that is easily edited in photoshop or any other image editing software. Just like in the movies, players can fly with their favorite image!

6Cll6QT.png

Additionally, we added spec maps to all of our new weapons, along with updated textures in a few cases. We hope you like how they look in their now-final form:

Each of these weapons is included with the A-4E mod:

Mk-77 mod 0 napalm bomb:

ufSkw9U.png

AN-M30 100lb GP HE bomb:

UtmBEgr.png

AN-M57 250lb GP HE bomb:

BRmtcLR.png

AN-M65 1000lb GP HE bomb:

m445rCd.png

AN-M66 2000lb GP HE bomb:

5zntNcB.png

AN-M88 216lb fragmentation bomb:

fNrGkyR.png

Mk-81 Snakeye 250lb high drag bomb:

DryN3ln.png

Thanks everyone for your support, and we can't wait to share what we have in store for the March update!

--gos

Edited by gospadin

It has been a great pleasure to be part of the A-4E team, and I'm quite sad that I cannot see it through to completion. We achieved some cool things over the past year, and I look forward to the new highs the team will undoubtedly still achieve. "Heinemann's Hot-Rod" is a really fun aircraft, and with its amazing variety of weapons and aircraft carrier capabilities, this is sure to be a massive hit in the DCS community.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has been a great pleasure to be part of the A-4E team, and I'm quite sad that I cannot see it through to completion. We achieved some cool things over the past year, and I look forward to the new highs the team will undoubtedly still achieve. "Heinemann's Hot-Rod" is a really fun aircraft, and with its amazing variety of weapons and aircraft carrier capabilities, this is sure to be a massive hit in the DCS community.

Congrats on your new role. And thanks for the work you have done for the A-4E project for us all. It sounds like your work was invaluable to it from all reports. Looking forward to hearing about your future projects with your new team once beans can start being spilled.

I have a question, when this is completed will this have to be downloaded separately or will it be part of an update? Just asking incase I missed anything

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Wow guys... I have no words. Good job, Gospadin and team! :)

BTW, what that F-14 is doing there? :D

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a question, when this is completed will this have to be downloaded separately or will it be part of an update? Just asking incase I missed anything

I've updated the first FAQ answer (post #2) in response to your question:

• This mod will be free of charge, and you'll need to download it manually

--gos

Just curious, will this model be placed over an aircraft already in the game, or will this be an additional plane added by the Mod? I guess what I am asking is, when we go into the settings, to set up our key bindings and axis settings, will we be doing that on an A-4 page, or will it be on some other plane that is already in the game?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]