Community A-4E

Wow, impressive update.

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

No progress yet.

I had a few ideas but none have panned out yet. The trick is how to target something without a targeting system. =P

I know this may be not thought through, but just as an idea.

You mention to need a "targeting system" to launch a Shrike at a target.

I may be wrong here, but the DCS scripting engine is providing a lot of functions to get LOS, iterate through targets in a zone, get their type/armament/sensor etc.

What about trying to get the centerline axis angle 10° down and put a zone on the ground around it based on angle/height.

Get all targets in Zone, filter the ones with Radar (or SAM by type?).

For each that has a LOS to the A-4E and Sensor is "on", select the nearest/highest threat/strongest radar.

Give this object as a target to the Shrike...

I know the script will slow down DCS if running constantly, but if you call it only on firing a shrike, may be a bit optimizing the unit iteration?

What do you think? Or did you try that already?

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

So much looking forward to this community A4

*wohooooo*

Keep it up guys

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Hey all! I figured I'd share with you some of the screenshots I've taken of our A-4 during my recent in-game testing. Last week I downloaded Starway's new "Green Thunder" mod to try to add a sense of immersion, and oh boy is it a match made in heaven! Below are a few selected screenshots (ran through a filter, mind you) that really bring out the best of both of these mods.

osWGyYK.jpg

sKSF7x3.jpg

5JAcZDz.jpg

I also used the VSN F-4E in one of the screenshots. It's quite fun testing out our new systems in a slightly more historical atmosphere! I've been spending some of my time testing trying to recreate historical photos as I go. Perhaps once the external is fully unwrapped we can play a fun game called "Is it a photo, or A-4 mod in DCS" :lol:

Thanks again for all your support, hope you enjoyed this months update!

Mod Links

"Green Thunder" By Starway

VSN Flyable Aircraft Mods

• Like 1

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

I have a question, will adding the A-4 into the game compromise the integrity for online gameplay?

shouldnt if you put it in /Saved Games/Mods/Aircraft/.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What a beauty! I can't wait for the release of this mod. It brings back a flood of memories. I actually served as a Plane Captain on the A-4 (but not the E) for a while during my enlistment in the Marine Corps many, many years ago.

Good shots, the yellowish tint on those screens is a touch of vintage atmosphere:thumbup:

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Hey Gos, I was doing some looking back at the progress made from the original HoggitDev A-4E up until now and I came across this little gem:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2984141&postcount=162

According to German wikipedia the A-4 (version is not specified) was equipped with 2 Tracor AN/ALE-29A countermeasures dispensing sets with 30 cartridges each. The cartridges have a diameter of 36 mm and the dispensers were loaded with RR-129 chaff cartridges or MJU-8/B flares. The dispensers were installed in the lower rear of the A-4 (markings in the attached picture?).
So I did some digging and came up with these:

http://navyaviation.tpub.com/14024/css/An-Ale-29A-Countermeasures-Chaff-Dispensing-Set-296.htm

The AN/ALE-29A countermeasure chaff dispensing set, known as the chaff dispenser, is an electronic countermeasure device. It maybe installed in almost all Navy combat aircraft. The chaff dispensing set includes two dispenser assemblies, two dispenser housings, two sequencer switches, and a programmer. The cartridge in the chaff dispenser can eject various load configurations of Mk 46 or MJU-8/B decoy flares and RR-129 or RR-144 chaff.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/mju-8.htm

The US Navy's MJU-8A/B is 5.8 inches long and 1.42 inches in diameter.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/rr-129.htm

The RR-129/AL consists of a cylindrical cartridge approximately 1.4 inches in diameter and 5.8 inches in length.
You said you were making a gamey concession by allowing mixed loads of Chaff and Flare. From what limited checking I did, I don't think that's the case. In fact, it would appear that each dispenser can carry 30 chaff or flare each, and not limited to 15 flare and 30 chaff.

You said you were making a gamey concession by allowing mixed loads of Chaff and Flare. From what limited checking I did, I don't think that's the case. In fact, it would appear that each dispenser can carry 30 chaff or flare each, and not limited to 15 flare and 30 chaff.

Thanks!

Yea, I own the book you linked.

TBH, we haven't tried to do any RWR yet. Not sure what's possible there yet. We know there existed cockpit interfaces more complicated than a single under-glareshield warning light, but we have yet to find any photos.

--gos

...single under-glareshield warning light...

Still better than SPO-10 :P

If I had to guess, going off pictures of A-4D and M for size of display, I'd say next to the radar altimeter. But in all the A-4E pits this space is either an empty hole or has a blank plate over it.

Yea, I own the book you linked.

TBH, we haven't tried to do any RWR yet. Not sure what's possible there yet. We know there existed cockpit interfaces more complicated than a single under-glareshield warning light, but we have yet to find any photos.

--gos

Yeah, I turned up the book because I had been digging trying to figure out what kind of RWR the A-4E could use, I was worried it wouldn't be any type. The only picture I've found labeled as an A-4E is from a SF2 mod that includes a whole bunch of different Skyhawks, so I don't have high confidence in the accuracy of it, though the label on that SF2 cockpit eventually led me to the AN/ALR-45.

Good day Gentlemen,

I am really looking forward to the mod, but did notice another discrepancy. The A-4E does not have the "Lift Spoilers" that the A-4F had. Also no nose wheel steering. For all intents and purposes, you guys are basically building an A-4F. As far as the features go, physical modeling there aren't a lot of differences, from your model either. Basically just the bent probe, and a couple antennae. I really love the extent to which you guys are modeling this, but you might want to just call her an A-4F, and then people might leave you alone asking for the proper A-4E configurations......... just a thought.

-Woog