Community A-4E

great job, thank you for the update!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This is really wow...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Wow thanks! Actually I'm quite surprised of the "fluidity" of the flight model. Are you sure you're still using SFM? :music_whistling:

Flight model doesn't look as SFM to me :)

I can assure everyone it's still SFM.

Edit: I'm pretty happy with how we've tuned our SFM tables, and the documented behaviors in various phases of flight are within a few percent of the data we have available. However, you can still see simplified behaviors at certain flight envelope corner cases, and airframe-specific oddities (e.g. slat buffet) cannot be implemented in SFM.

Edited by gospadin

• 2 weeks later...
No progress yet.

I had a few ideas but none have panned out yet. The trick is how to target something without a targeting system. =P

Here's how the shrike targeting worked

https://books.google.com/books?id=K_T4M-nA6JYC&pg=PA590&lpg=PA590&dq=employing+the+shrike&source=bl&ots=uRDvPtl7ZG&sig=CgCndqbHdul-aZiELIZjeVFpnPs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1lumH69nVAhVK-2MKHZ_yAkEQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=employing%20the%20shrike&f=false

Process

1. APR-27 (or other RWR) detects threat emitter (and produces a tone for the pilot, as all RWRs do)

2. APR-27 activates Shrike seeker head.

3. Seeker head must be manually aimed at the SAM(radar) to lock

4. When the seeker head gets a lock on SAM(radar) it produces a lock tone for the pilot. (similar to AIM-9 targeting)

There are two audio indications

1. APR-27 audio of threat (which exists with or without shrike loadout)

2. Shrike lock tone

Edited by Beamscanner

It would be fantastic if you got in touch with ED and got some kind of official support for the A4. I would love it if it was included with DCS much like the SU-25t and TF-51 as free aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

...and this is how ED will gradually, unintentionally, strangle all 3rd parties.

Our lack of API access is fundamentally on our own shoulders, which is why I used a smiley face emote. ED owes us nothing.

--gos

Edited by gospadin
  • Like 1

Our lack of API access is fundamentally on our own shoulders, which is why I used a smiley face emote. ED owes us nothing.

--gos

I get it! Didn't mean to imply that you were complaining, that's on me. I think ED's choice just makes groups like yours less likely. No intent to derail your thread.

• Like 1

This may have been asked before, but will the A4E be carrier capable?

I was thinking in context of the carrier that (i believe) is bundled with the F14. Not sure how the technical side of it interacts, perhaps its too early.

But I was curious if this is an unknown or known quantity at this point.

This may have been asked before, but will the A4E be carrier capable?

I was thinking in context of the carrier that (i believe) is bundled with the F14. Not sure how the technical side of it interacts, perhaps its too early.

But I was curious if this is an unknown or known quantity at this point.

It can land and takeoff from the existing in-game carriers. Tailhook works properly, and we made a change in our engine modeling to allow carrier takeoffs. (PS: This was covered in the FAQ on the front page of the thread)

We have no information on any upcoming carrier projects or what changes might come with them, so we cannot predict future compatibility.

--gos

We still on track for an update at the end of this month, if so any teaser on what we will see? ;)

Also very curious about an end of month update ;)

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Community A-4E: August 2017 Update

Hi everyone. Just a few things to report this month...

First, while the interior unwrap is continuing, we aren't yet finished updating the new surface texturing to match, and thus we're not quite ready to show off the fully painted cockpit yet. Hopefully ready within the next few weeks and ready for our next update.

We did take the time to re-model our fuel tanks (to include bobtail variants on the centerline) and give each livery its own fuel tank skin, as a function of the squadron you choose. We combed through a bunch of historical photos we had of the various squadrons, and tried to replicate the tanks as accurately as possible.

As an example, here's VA-163 Saints with a pair of 300 gallon wing tanks and six Mk-82 bombs on the centerline:

vXmJOX8.png

And here's VMA-311 Tomcats with a relatively plain bobtailed 400 gallon centerline fuel tank.

7mR6i8S.png

Aerodynamics and weight of the new tank variants is modeled. Tanks are painted according to base livery, size of the tank, and whether they're on station 2/4 or the centerline.

On top of the new fuel tanks, we've done a lot of small changes to improve how the cockpit warning lights and textures look in the new 2.1 engine with deferred shading. As that's that path forward for DCS, we're trying to keep up. We've also got a number of small fixes to our external model to improve how it renders, as well as fixing the left side bort numbers for our aggressor skins. I don't happen to have pictures handy, but we'll include more cockpit pictures and video when we're ready to show off the full unwrap.

Systems wise, just a few small changes: New g-meter behavior with max and min needles, the pitot-static based VSI behaves more realistically, and we've fixed the behavior of some knobs and switches.

Thanks for everyone's support!

--gos

Edited by gospadin

many thanks for the Update Gos and Team ! it Looks pretty good in 2.1 lighting / shading atmosphere ..

really hard to wait for this...

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Community A-4E: August 2017 Update

Hi everyone. Just a few things to report this month...

First, while the interior unwrap is continuing, we aren't yet finished updating the new surface texturing to match, and thus we're not quite ready to show off the fully painted cockpit yet. Hopefully ready within the next few weeks and ready for our next update.

We did take the time to re-model our fuel tanks (to include bobtail variants on the centerline) and give each livery its own fuel tank skin, as a function of the squadron you choose. We combed through a bunch of historical photos we had of the various squadrons, and tried to replicate the tanks as accurately as possible.

As an example, here's VA-163 Saints with a pair of 300 gallon wing tanks and six Mk-82 bombs on the centerline:

vXmJOX8.png

And here's VMA-311 Tomcats with a relatively plain bobtailed 400 gallon centerline fuel tank.

7mR6i8S.png

Aerodynamics and weight of the new tank variants is modeled. Tanks are painted according to base livery, size of the tank, and whether they're on station 2/4 or the centerline.

On top of the new fuel tanks, we've done a lot of small changes to improve how the cockpit warning lights and textures look in the new 2.1 engine with deferred shading. As that's that path forward for DCS, we're trying to keep up. We've also got a number of small fixes to our external model to improve how it renders, as well as fixing the left side bort numbers for our aggressor skins. I don't happen to have pictures handy, but we'll include more cockpit pictures and video when we're ready to show off the full unwrap.

Systems wise, just a few small changes: New g-meter behavior with max and min needles, the pitot-static based VSI behaves more realistically, and we've fixed the behavior of some knobs and switches.

Thanks for everyone's support!

--gos

Top Notch, guys! :D