Community A-4E

RAZBAM is already making an Intruder, so a Prowler would not be bad to follow up with. :)

The only issue would be modeling ECM in the DCS world. It could be done but it would have to be mostly guesswork since the vast majority of ECM tech is classified.

Personally...I'd love to be able to build a "Final Countdown" Carrier wing. Tomcats, Corsairs, Intruders, Vigilantes, Crusaders...

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

:happy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

With regards to a follow up, its unfortunately very unlikely given Gos's absence and my own professional life. However, if I ever were to work on another aircraft, I'd love to do a Vietnam-era F-8 Crusader or similar.

Within the scope of limitations on SDK access to modders, the ideal aircraft for a DCS mod is pre-1970 without any radar or Semi/Active-AA Missiles. You get both the most fidelity, as well as the most usable aircraft outside of the WWII environment. Some models, like the F-8, A-4 and Mirage 5, served long past the 50s and 60s into the 80s and 90s. The Mirage 5 even continues flying today!

Given the experience I've had over the past 2 1/2 years, I think that it would be much easier to select and execute the development of a new plane. It feels like a lot of knowledge to walk away from, but honestly its very difficult to make mod development happen when you have a demanding career which requires a completely different professional skill set. Burnout is also a very real thing, which I discussed in rather great length in this reddit post.

We'll see what happens, but for now I (and probably the rest of the team) just want to see this thing through to the finish line before making any future plans.

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

Thank you, I for one (and I'm sure there are many, many others) sincerely appreciate the efforts you and all of the A-4 team have been making.

(My heart sank when you mentioned "burnout is...a very real thing", which I know all too well.)

Thank you, I for one (and I'm sure there are many, many others) sincerely appreciate the efforts you and all of the A-4 team have been making.

(My heart sank when you mentioned "burnout is...a very real thing", which I know all too well.)

+1

However long it may take, the A-4 will have far more significance to me than any DCS module ever has.

Within the scope of limitations on SDK access to modders, the ideal aircraft for a DCS mod is pre-1970 without any radar or Semi/Active-AA Missiles. You get both the most fidelity, as well as the most usable aircraft outside of the WWII environment. Some models, like the F-8, A-4 and Mirage 5, served long past the 50s and 60s into the 80s and 90s. The Mirage 5 even continues flying today!

We'll see what happens, but for now I (and probably the rest of the team) just want to see this thing through to the finish line before making any future plans.

I think that what you describe there is a perfect world for a Douglas Skyraider!! :thumbup: Archaemedie (sp?) sorry, I can never remember how to spell your call sign properly. BRING IT!! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the ideal aircraft for a DCS mod is pre-1970 without any radar or Semi/Active-AA Missiles.

not to derail this topic BUT SARH-A2A-Missles are available to modders without any fc3 avionics

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

not to derail this topic BUT SARH-A2A-Missles are available to modders without any fc3 avionics

The skyhawk model they are doing, the E, did not carry SARH missiles. Only the AIM-9

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

They're referring to my "ideal aircraft mod" which in all honesty I had no idea it was possible to to SARH. In either case, it's definitely easier to just do a non-radar aircraft in general for modding, given how complex it is.

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that just about everybody within the DCS community is presently occupied with the newly arrived F/A-18C Hornet, as am I, but I just wanted the Community A-4E Team to know that your project has not been forgotten. We are all looking forward to the next bone you'll be throwing our way. No hurry though. Go ahead and get the Hornet figured out and shaken down. Once you've mastered A-A refueling and gotten carrier qualified, we will be patiently waiting for more information on your project. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, not so patient here. After all it's end of the month... :D

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Updating coming! For reference, all updates go live on the 1st day of the month, generally in the afternoon EST.

Currently making some last minute changes and creating a few videos for you :)

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

Community A-4E Update: June 2018

Today marks my 24th rotation around our star, and in celebration we have a massive update for you all! We’ve been very busy bees this month, and are ready to (officially) reveal the fully modelled, unwrapped and textured cockpit. Between modelling and unwrapping, this work is the culmination of nearly two years’ worth of work (a celebration indeed). In many development houses, the work we’ve done would obviously go far faster. However as volunteers working with little background, it’s been a constant learning process which has gotten us to where we are today in a greater amount of time. Other important progress this month is the completion of our external lighting, addition of raindrops to the canopy and implementation of PBR textures for our external model. Let’s dive in!

The cockpit textures are really what can take a model to the next level. This is certainly the case for us. Plusnine’s (callmepartario) work is truly astounding for the rest of the team to see. The amount of detail that a model can appear to have without actually modelling anything can be increased a great deal by correct use of shading, substance painting, and other key texture concepts.Keep in mind that these are all still very much an active work area, and even these images are a bit late as a result of the rapid progress occurring on certain pieces in the cockpit.

jylsnYo.png

oHnFn3A.png

AlNan2B.png

Also in the texture arena was the implementation of PBR textures for our external model. This allows purely 2D details such as rivets and panel gaps to appear 3D. In use, it really brings the external model up a few notches and on par with other models in DCS. We still have some parts of the aircraft which need to be unwrapped, but once this is done it will have a very high amount of detail and will fit right in with other aircraft. I’ve included some examples below, observe how the panel lines are evident along the side of the fuselage and on top of the wing. These would not contrast like this without PBR.

b430Zu8.png

0ll2Yzl.png

As an all-weather attack aircraft, the A-4’s cockpit requires good cockpit lighting during many missions. One of the final things which Gos and I worked on in the cockpit was our lighting, which most notably was his final update before passing. Thankfully, he left behind the code needed for us to extend this work to the external model, and with the needed updates, we have functioning external lights. Of course, we see this as an additive process where we will continually improve upon aspects as we go such as brightness.

qFyaTsd.png

Another win this month came late last week, when the introduction of rain effects, along with a helpful comment from CptSmiley on reddit helped Plusnine and I figure out how to implement raindrops on the canopy. We’re working to refine it a bit, as I believe I haven’t implemented it with the correct material properties, but so far it looks great. Note the issue with flat grey in the canopy. The fix couldn’t make it into update unfortunately.

zHuzNZy.png

Of course, I have several more great screenshots coming to you courtesy of the latest updates to carrier landings. Also be sure to check out my video on landing on a carrier with the A-4. A very big thanks to ED for making some bug fixes which allow us to land again!

If the video link isn't working for you, visit https://youtu.be/MUv34ZsAZ3Y

K5n9YfV.png

AjpxEWA.png

O3rliuD.png

On the Horizon:

This month I personally intend to complete the unwrap of the external model, as well as implementing carrier takeoff should our code allow for it. We already have existing methods of carrier takeoff (a special condition in our SFM) however we would like to have the most complete mod for you possible. Stretch goals this month include bugfixes for our canopy glass, unwrap of our external pilot and unwrap of our custom MER rack. We will not have an internal pilot, however given the cramped conditions I don’t think you’ll miss having one (it would get in the way very quickly)!

Follow us on Twitch!

We’ve started streaming on twitch around once or twice a week. Feel free to follow us to be notified when we go live!

https://www.twitch.tv/plusnine_tvb

https://www.twitch.tv/merker6/

Behind the Scenes:

Another excellent month of progress! We’re making great strides which I think have certainly kept us on a good trajectory towards the release date I have in mind. Of course, we will not announce anything until we are absolutely sure it will be ready to release on-time and without serious bugs. Many good things to come, it’s not much farther now!

Edited by Merker

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

Community A-4E Update: June 2018

jylsnYo.png

My dad flew A-4's in the Marine Corps for 22 years, I'm very excited to see this!

VMA-214 in 1968. Dad is back row, 4th from the right. He had to hunch down a tad to pass the physical to fit in the A-4.

VMA214-68.jpg

Flight line photo from Chu Lai. Bunch of A-4's on the ramp.

Chu%20Lai%20flight%20line%20photo.jpg

Dreadnaut

Virtual Blue Angels #2

Great news! Thanks! :thumbup:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack