I just flow on my 2D Monitor again

JG4_Sputnik

And HAHA!

I felt so stupid in front of my screen :)

I just did it for some tests, but I went back to VR immediately.

I will never "sim" without VR again, kind of a strange feeling that those days are over, now after 15+ years of simming, don't you think?

Or do you guys still sometimes fly 2D here and there?

(disclaimer: I have no tripple screen setup or anything, just a 27 screen and TrackIR)

Or do you guys still sometimes fly 2D here and there?

Only when flying X-plane, which I sincerely wish had a VR plug-in for it. :(

But even 'if' ... it's certainly no DCS! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

100% VR here. I don't care how pretty the graphics are on a flat screen. I'll never go back. I have been simming for 32 years now (OMG I'm getting old). I got my Rift at the end of April and it has completely revitalized my interest in flight simulation (and particularly DCS which has really done an outstanding job of adopting the technology).

i am completely stranger to vr system. is it harmfull to eyes? and how can you use keyboard or mouse? does it feel like you are in a real plane? (might be stupid questions sorry)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I've had DCS since it first came out many years ago, dabbled with it briefly but never stuck with it, same with most flight Sims really. Then I received my CV1 two weeks ago, haven't been able to stop playing ! The funny thing is though that if I was getting the frame rates on a 2d monitor that I'm getting with the Oculus I wouldn't be able to play it, somehow the Oculus is able to smooth things out nicely.

The only problem is that I live in Scotland where it's overcast or raining 80 percent of the time, and the weather is so much nicer in DCS, so I don't want to leave the virtual world.........

As for motion sickness and frame rates, I've only felt slightly nauseous once when I lost the tail rotor in the Huey, that was fun !

As for "feeling like you're in a plane" , I've had triple monitor setups, track IR, and I would describe them as utilities, they help you see more and that's it. I thought the resolution would be a problem, that's why I never pre-ordered an Oculus, and you can see the screen door effect if you look for it, but honestly, you will pretty soon stop looking for it and loose yourself. I never realised how high the mountains are in that part of the world, stunning!

Let me put it another way. If I wake up and the weather is getting me down, I hop into the F-86, pick a sunny morning., Fly for half an hour and come out feeling alot better, it really is that good.

Keyboard and mouse use is fine, although I mostly fly clickable cockpits, so only use the keyboard for Num 5 , to centre view and F1-8 for comms, the Oculus has a small gap right at your nose so if you have the keyboard in front and below you you can see just enough to use it, and as long as you can find the mouse you can use it fine, the only trouble I have is that my joystick is closer to me than the one in the F-86 is in the Sim, so I keep reaching too far in front, that's more of a sign of how convincing it is though than a negative, sorry for rambling but I think you can tell how amazing I think this whole thing is !

Also the good thing is that you don't really notice if the graphics settings are on a lower setting, the whole "being there" thing totally negates that. I used to spend more time fiddling with graphics setting trying to get a decent quality and 60fps without stutter, now I couldn't care or don't notice that I am using lower settings, strange but true.

And maybe when 2.0 arrives it'll get even better, but for now 2.0 is just too unstable for me , but I do get better image quality and performance with 2.0 Alpha, but it completely locks up my PC and I can't be bothered with a full reboot every half hour or so.

Another thing you notice is that some aircraft have much better performance as far as graphics go, the F15 is basically unflyable for me, but everything else I've tried works great, maybe because it's a Flaming Cliffs module ?

Edited by Redlinebuzz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't go back to 2D. VR is the only way forward! :pilotfly: When I first started using the rift I wasn't too pleased with the resolution. Also I had to turn down the graphics quite a bit to get good FPS. On my 2D monitor I had pretty much everything on full. Now it's mostly a mix of high, medium and low.

But, it doesn't really matter. The sense of flying quickly overtakes any graphical negativities. The feeling of 3D is amazing. The canopy glass surrounds you. Flying close to clouds and your eyes tells you they are just outside the airplane, it is fantastic! :)

In the beginning I had problems with motion sickness. I do get motion sickness quite easily IRL as well. For example when I'm reading in the backseat of a moving car. But now I've adjusted pretty well. Now I only feel queezy when flying the Huey up and down the Vegas strip.

I've come to appreciate aircrafts that weren't on my favorite "to fly" list. The F-15 comes to mind. With VR the cockpit is amazing. Good view all around, and even to the sides. The L-39 is amazing as well, and in good contrast performance wise to the F-15. :)

My only problems with VR is that the head set becomes uncomfortable pretty quickly. Perhaps it's a good thing. I can fly around for 30 minutes, and then feel I need a break. Go make a cup of coffee. And then after a 20 minutes jump back into the cockpit. :joystick:

Sometimes the thought hits me that we are only in the infancy of VR-head set technology. I'm really looking forward to what will come in the future. Higher resolution, and more importantly a wider field of view(starvr)! :thumbup:

If you are on the fence, don't hesitate! Throw yourself into the world of VR!

The only time I run DCS World in 2D, is when I have to change setups or controls and have to use the saitek profiler for that as well...

But indeed, once we taste the VR, impossible to go back to a flat screen again...

I even stopped flying in x-plane just because of that :) The only flight sim I fly in 2D is star citizen, as it does not handle VR yet, and I fly DCS and elite in VR...

So amazing to be IN the cockpit. And with modern HOTAS we can put all common shortcuts on the HOTAS, and use the in cockpit switches for the less common ones...

I use an HTC Vive and an X55 HOTAS.

About the screen door effect, I never noticed that, but maybe this is because I wear glasses, therefore I'm used to not have a good peripheral vision. And do you know that you can map the center key on your hotas too? ^^ I have mapped the ESC key on my throttle to easily find the menu, I guess I'll try to map this one as well (will check if I can map with the X55 a short press for the menu and a long press for centering).

i am completely stranger to vr system. is it harmfull to eyes? and how can you use keyboard or mouse? does it feel like you are in a real plane? (might be stupid questions sorry)

In bold for you above :)

Edited by harf4ng

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Got a little annoyed by the lack of clarity a while back, and switched back to triple screen. That didnt last long. Only took a few minutes, then I re-realized how awesome VR is, and how much immersion it gives. And the more I fly, the better I get at spotting targets/enemy planes. Just need to learn / train the eyes to pick up the 'new' subtleties.

Robban75: My only problems with VR is that the head set becomes uncomfortable pretty quickly

I had that too, but have loosened up the Rift, quite a lot. It can actually be a lot looser than you would think. Initially I felt like I've had a suction cup on my face for 30 min, hehe, but that is long gone now, after loosening the headset straps.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

What do you guys do regarding mission data cards, 9 line cards, notes, etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

.. and no need to use very significant funds, time and skill to build a scale cockpit for only one single aircraft or one single vehicle, that takes up a lot of space in your home.

That 'no longer needed aspect' alone will compensate for needing to buy newer headsets as they become come available, making our current batch obsolete.

And the same for the upgrades to your PC when required, as well as leave enough coin to pay for a cool hydraulic enabled, 6Dof motion seats that can be used for multi types of VR aircraft and vehicles ... with probably even enough left over for a Big Mac! ;)

The cool thing 'will be' an altered/merged reality 4K headset that allows you to hit a MOM button on your throttle/etc. to see the keyboard in the headset , and/or just use an improved LeapMotion type device integration, making the keyboard a moot point altogether.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

... you will appreciate 2D once your vision goes whacky around your late 40's.

Im physically unable to use 3D since I lost an acceptable eyesight on the right eye.

What helped was a bigger screen.

it was also helpfull to skip online play to stop the current quite unhealthy hardware "arms race" that is going on in the community.

Edited by Beagle One

I'm 65 and although I normally use reading glasses, I have no problems using the CV1 with no glasses at all.

2D simulation is dying fast, and is almost completely obsolete.

Although the press dubbed 2016 the year of VR, it is admittedly just a bit premature to say that, but it is the very near future of all simulation, and the difference between an old Atri game and current flight and racing sims, but now in 3D with real life tracking! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

I'm 65 and although I normally use reading glasses, I have no problems using the CV1 with no glasses at all.

2D simulation is dying fast, and is almost completely obsolete.

Although the press dubbed 2016 the year of VR, it is admittedly just a bit premature to say that, but it is the very near future of all simulation, and the difference between an old Atri game and current flight and racing sims, but now in 3D with real life tracking! :)

The 3rd dimension is gone RL and VR with just ONE good EYE. There are a lot of eyesight problems that make proper use of binocular glasses VR quite uncomfortable or even im possible.

I, for example, suffer from scars on the corneal. While I can deal with it quite good in RL it makes VR uncomfortable. I have to look asquint and blink the ye to get a 3D perception.

A simple TFT screen is pure relaxation for me.

Edited by Beagle One

I don't doubt that you have problems, but your situation fortunately doesn't automatically happen at age 40 to 'most' people like you indicate it will.

As far as "unhealthy hardware race going on in the community", shouldn't that opinion have you using an etch-a-sketch and drawing birdies flying about, as opposed to sim flying some seriously unhealthy death dealing combat aircraft on a sinister modern PC system?

Your argument seems a little "fox that cut it's tail off" ... and a bit 'everyone should stop at my level of technology' hypocritical to me ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

I don't doubt that you have problems, but your situation fortunately doesn't automatically happen at age 40 to 'most' people like you indicate it will.

As far as "unhealthy hardware race going on in the community", shouldn't that opinion have you using an etch-a-sketch and drawing birdies flying about, as opposed to sim flying some seriously unhealthy death dealing combat aircraft on a sinister modern PC system?

Your argument seems a little "fox that cut it's tail off" ... and a bit 'everyone should stop at my level of technology' hypocritical to me ...

I basically said the current MP arms race in modules and hardware does not bring any benefit to me and im very content with single player on a 2D screen.

In MP there is often a lack of padlock view that I like, in favor of VR or TIR solutions which I dont like and I also like exterior view but no labels etc.

I just noticed in the last year, if you stop MP you suddently don't need to have to newest stuff... goes well for ArmA III and DCS as well.

Edited by Beagle One

Stop it guys, I was going to wait for gen 2 before going VR, but you are making me really want jump on board now....

Do it mate. Rift has free shipping to Australia for probably a couple more hours.

I ordered earlier today, came to $866.72AUD.

I'm 45, I wear glasses, though I do not have his issues, and can use VR really well. And I find the HTC Vive a lot more comfortable than the rift for glass wearers like me...

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Hopefully the 2nd gen will have diopter adjustment, like cameras have had for the past 30 years! Then no need for glasses or contacts whilst flying. Might open VR up to a much wider audience...

Looking forward to the day VR goes main stream

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------

I still fly on a 2D screen sometimes to remind myself how good DCS really looks, and when I am watching some tutorials on the second monitor, Its kind of hard to go back from VR to 2D again, but I am a graphics whore and sometimes need a taste of 4k. But really I am always hoping that something more high resolution and with a slightly higher field of view is already in development.....I would buy a new VR headset every year if they kept releasing them......I really hope that the rift doesn't have like a 3 year life cycle.....that's such a long wait.

On another note, I had a chance to play around with Microsofts Hololens, and was amazed by how small all the electronics were, especially the HPU (holographic Processing Unit) which is a mix between a CPU and GPU, It would be really great if the next version of the Rift used something similar to achieve higher resolution.