One problem with the F-5E...

Fred00

I just bought the F-5E and realized quickly that it suffers from the same problem as the F-86, and that is a very limited amount of movement in the cockpit before you hit the invisible wall (this applies to TrackIR and VR users obviously). This means that you can't lean in and check gauges and even worse is trying to hunch down to look at switches on the left and right side consoles. I really don't know what purpose these "walls" serve, since EDs own modules are not nearly as restricted. Please Belsimtek fix this, because as it is now it makes the module pretty hard to use. Constantly zooming to check things is not really an option I think.

• Like 1

+1

This is strange constraint and wonder why Belsimtek chose to do that. I would love to have that removed as well!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Think about this:

Yes, I understand that it's probably more realistic to have limited range of movement. But still, I think that this is one area where playability is more important than absolute realism. And it seems ED themselves have come to the same conclusion (seeing how it works in their modules).

I just use the zoom in/out slow (numpad "*" and "/") to overcome this. Its mapped on my hotas. This also helps replicates having a set of binoculars on hand in the cockpit. I have both mapped to my hotas, for years now, and I find I never fly without using it.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does not apply to VR users at all. They can't put invisible walls in a VR environment, that's just asking to screw with your head. If you're using trackIR I would just recommend binding the zoom view to a slider on your hotas or what I did was bind it to my lean in/out on the trackIR

You can set the TrackIR boundaries in the associated lua file; I did this for the M2000C which had the same problem and it worked great. I'm not near my computer so can't check the details, so hopefully somebody else can jump in with an explanation of how to do it.

Yes, I understand that it's probably more realistic to have limited range of movement. But still, I think that this is one area where playability is more important than absolute realism. And it seems ED themselves have come to the same conclusion (seeing how it works in their modules).

Absolutely. I get the whole restraint thing. You are buckled in and have limited movement. However, I believe that taking into account that in the sim, you are limited in your field of vision, visual range, the track IR is limited, you have no sense of feeling or perception of what any given aircraft is doing physically until it becomes visual. You do not have the luxury of just moving your arms and hands around to do tasking, but instead you have a mouse cursor to do what your hands would otherwise be doing,and you are relying on a computer keyboard (with key bindings much of the time). None of these things are purely natural, or second nature, nor are they realistic. And I understand that this is certainly the nature of this beast and have no complaints about it.

But surely, giving the user that little edge to make up in a small part for all of the other abilities and senses that they do not have isn't asking much. It certainly isn't unfair.

Kind of like using labels to spot ground objects. In DCS it is nearly impossible to spot anything on the ground (double for the NTTR map). This is very unrealistic as I have been in aircraft spotting military equipment and vehicles and it is certainly not all that hard to do, even when things are covered in camo nets. So I feel that labels are far from cheating. They just make up for the lack of eyesight in the sim. Again, I understand that this is a problem that comes with the sim. So it is not a complaint. It's just something that most everyone here can sympathize with.

You can set the TrackIR boundaries in the associated lua file; I did this for the M2000C which had the same problem and it worked great. I'm not near my computer so can't check the details, so hopefully somebody else can jump in with an explanation of how to do it.

That sounds great. I would be very grateful if you described how it's done.

I just bought the F-5E and realized quickly that it suffers from the same problem as the F-86, and that is a very limited amount of movement in the cockpit before you hit the invisible wall (this applies to TrackIR and VR users obviously). This means that you can't lean in and check gauges and even worse is trying to hunch down to look at switches on the left and right side consoles. I really don't know what purpose these "walls" serve, since EDs own modules are not nearly as restricted. Please Belsimtek fix this, because as it is now it makes the module pretty hard to use. Constantly zooming to check things is not really an option I think.

I couldn't agree more there are time when a simulation purposely inhibits actions that don't seem necessary set lets limiting eye movement is one of them however belsimtek is not the only one. Razbaam is doing it too with the m2000.

It is impossible to simulate everything. So why try make the game playable it Already has tons of draw backs in the game why simulate a seat belt?

I couldn't agree more there are time when a simulation purposely inhibits actions that don't seem necessary set lets limiting eye movement is one of them however belsimtek is not the only one. Razbaam is doing it too with the m2000.

It is impossible to simulate everything. So why try make the game playable it Already has tons of draw backs in the game why simulate a seat belt?

Yes, especially since simulating the harness really doesn't work. You can lean further forward in the computer chair but the screen stops responding and just goes into a "wall". That's just an immersion killer. But I'm thinking the fix must be super easy, either for Belsimtek themselves or for us, if we're just pointed to where we can change it.

Edited by Fred00

Yes, especially since simulating the harness really doesn't work. You can still lean further forward IRL but the screen stops responding and just goes into a "wall". That's just an immersion killer. But I'm thinking the fix must be super easy, either for Belsimtek themselves or for us, if we're just pointed to where we can change it.

The point I was trying to make with Razbam was they enforce a 8:00 realignment of INS even if power is connected during repair( because they have to roll you to the hanger) however that act is not simulated. So to be nice to everyone the add a menu option to turn on or turnoff the feature this made it acceptable in almost all communities.

I really do hope BST does this with f-5e as well. A menu option to see if you want your track ir limited by seat belts.

Edited by Erk104

That sounds great. I would be very grateful if you described how it's done.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for several days.

For the M-2000C, I modified the Views.lua file in DCS\Mods\aircraft\M-2000C\ from:

limits_6DOF             = {x = {-0.050000,0.30000},y ={-0.500000,0.100000},z = {-0.20000,0.20000},roll = 90.000000},

to:

limits_6DOF         	= {x = {-0.050000,0.450000},y ={-0.300000,0.100000},z = {-0.30000,0.30000},roll = 90.000000},

and that seemed to do the trick. I haven't messed around with the F-5E file yet, but I presume same can be done there.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for several days.

For the M-2000C, I modified the Views.lua file in DCS\Mods\aircraft\M-2000C\ from:

limits_6DOF             = {x = {-0.050000,0.30000},y ={-0.500000,0.100000},z = {-0.20000,0.20000},roll = 90.000000},

to:

limits_6DOF             = {x = {-0.050000,0.450000},y ={-0.300000,0.100000},z = {-0.30000,0.30000},roll = 90.000000},

and that seemed to do the trick. I haven't messed around with the F-5E file yet, but I presume same can be done there.

Great, thanks for that! One more question: It says "Access denied" when I try to change the file. How can I get around that?