Anyone using a motion platform with VR?

MacThai_75

Also, if concerned about the issues that may or may not be part and parcel of a motion rig, take a look at Frusheen's implementation of the G-Seat (linked under his sig).

I have no idea of what it might entail, or if it's even possible, but a simple 2DoF with a G-Seat mounted on top of it might be a good marriage by sending certain channels to each to get the best of both worlds.

The G-Seat IMHO has a lot of things going for it, and with VR's ability to trick you into feeling motion, it may be a DIY panacea for any motion rig VR ills.

Somebody needs to offer a commercial version of the G-Seat! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to get a pseudo 6DOF seat I often think of how it would go to have a compact 2DOF ( like MacThais impending unit) mounted on an old barbers chair with motors for 360deg yaw and heave up and down on the main column? I think it would be a differnt take on 6dof in that they dont generally have the full 360 deg. When I first was learning basic flight we had an old WW2 link trainer with 360 deg rotation and it was the coolest experience learning instrument flying with the hood on and no outside reference.

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

A hood and no outside references sounds like Gitmo! :smilewink:

I'm thinking the G-Seat mounted on the 2DoF platform with the platform using the roll/pitch channels, and the G-Seat using the heave, +/-acceleration/G-force, Yaw and etc channels.

It should be fairly easy to adapt a G-Seat to a 2DoF platform ... 'IF' SimTools and/or Xsim motion is capable of being ported and running like that.

It would 'seem' doable, but :dunno:

Although the G-Seat might be all that's needed to augment "VR's motion trickery" for flight, I wonder if for racing the larger movement of a motion platform might be needed.

My motion rig will be like my stationary rig, and be dual purpose for both racing and flight, with both fixed and rotary wing A/C, making the G-seat's heave, yaw and etc. a very desirable addition to VR trickery.

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

A hood and no outside references sounds like Gitmo! :smilewink:

I'm thinking the G-Seat mounted on the 2DoF platform with the platform using the roll/pitch channels, and the G-Seat using the heave, +/-acceleration/G-force, Yaw and etc channels.

It should be fairly easy to adapt a G-Seat to a 2DoF platform ... 'IF' SimTools and/or Xsim motion is capable of being ported and running like that.

It would 'seem' doable, but :dunno:

Although the G-Seat might be all that's needed to augment "VR's motion trickery" for flight, I wonder if for racing the larger movement of a motion platform might be needed.

My motion rig will be like my stationary rig, and be dual purpose for both racing and flight, with both fixed and rotary wing A/C, making the G-seat's heave, yaw and etc. a very desirable addition to VR trickery.

I think the next iteration of VR headsets could well feature vestibular stimulation in which case there will be no need for a motion platform at all. The gseat alone will be enough when coupled with manipulation of the balance system in the inner ear.

Samsung (partners of oculus) have already shown the Entrim 4d headphones which feature GVS.

For now the bigger issue for all motion systems is getting the right data out of dcs as neither the X-sim or SimTools plugins are good enough yet and designing/implementing a proper plugin is proving to be very challenging. There are a few of us working on it so hopefully it will improve.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

This report (which admittedly has the familiar confused facts that the media in known for in any of their reports) foretells of HMD's that will make you "feel" non-existent things like controls such as VR joysticks, pedals, throttles, switches and I assume 6DoF motion as well ... and you crash and/or get hit by enemy fire, I assume you'll feel that too ... all without the need for a motion rig nor an expensive haptic suit.

Sort of an "If you see it, you will feel it" experience.

In the meantime, I'm waiting on delivery of my motion rig and following the advances in SimTools, Xsim and etc. ... even if it all ends up in a trash bin before the kanye West administration. ;)

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

The A3 arrived today. It's 2:30am PST, and I just got a quick landing in. LOTS of thoughts even with a completely un-tuned profile. But the main one is...

... head tracking is a non issue. The Oculus camera is zip tied to the platform, and has quite a bit of play (Atomic is sending a proper fastener soon). Still not an issue. I haven't understood why this thread is concerned with this if the positional tracking camera is stationary relative to the head (ie, moves with the platform).

I'll leave with one other teaser: the TTI (tactile transducer) is a must. Not because it's awesome on it's own, but because the actuators generate their own vibration. Without a drone tone of piston knocking, shudders, wind, etc (I'm using SimShaker), the vibration caused by the motion actuators would be distracting.

Okay, another teaser - I took unboxing pix. Excited to post more after I actually figure this out :-)

Edited by mrsparks

Congrats. You must be like a kid at Xmas! Keen to see those pix.

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

I'm sorry but I believe that was my order.....please forward on.....yours will arrive later at a date to be announced!

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Congrats mrsparks!

We are all very envious. :)

Looking forward to the pics and an indepth review when you get a chance and have had some time to wring it all out.

The A3 just looks awesome! :)

P.S. If you do get a chance to see if you notice any difference between rig or off rig mounted sensor, I would like to see that.

I suspect from the reports I've read that it's good to go either way, but a side by side review done on a single rig would be nice.

Anyway ... have fun, I know that if I had been able to intercept the delivery ... I sure would! ;)

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

Sorry for the delay in the in-depth review / pix ... it's taking significantly more tweaking than I anticipated, but honestly, it's all part of the fun.

The biggest challenge so far has been overcoming the "Roll bug" present in current DCS plugins for X-Sim and SimTools.

SimTools Thread: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/digital-combat-simulator-%E2%80%93-dcs-plugin.4762/

X-Sim Thread: http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=309

I read through all the replies. Some of them seem to show progress / solutions, but I could find any that produced the desired result in a 2DOF motion platform.

Sorry to make this post simply links to other threads, but I covered the solution I came up with here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2912408#post2912408

If anyone else has a seat-mover and is experiencing this issue - - the fix in the thread above works. Happy to help you integrate it in your export.lua - just ping me.

Is your fix based on the 3.0 plugin or the alternate plugin by riftflyer? Will try it soon

I modified RiftFlyer's plugin, but I think it could have just as easily been modified from the official plugin. I plan to clean up (remove RiftFlyer's sophisticated bank/yaw acceleration functions) the export.lua file later.

Also, major props to RiftFlyer. I'm very new to this, and I'm sure his approach is superior in many applications. In my situation, I find the "come back to center at full inversion" approach feels better.

• Like 1

I read through all the replies. Some of them seem to show progress / solutions, but I could find any that produced the desired result in a 2DOF motion platform.

Sorry to make this post simply links to other threads, but I covered the solution I came up with here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2912408#post2912408

If anyone else has a seat-mover and is experiencing this issue - - the fix in the thread above works. Happy to help you integrate it in your export.lua - just ping me.

Good stuff, and thanks for posting!

I'm sure it will come in very handy when my rig gets here.

And once again, really looking forward to your in-depth review of the A3 ... at your leisure. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

I modified RiftFlyer's plugin, but I think it could have just as easily been modified from the official plugin. I plan to clean up (remove RiftFlyer's sophisticated bank/yaw acceleration functions) the export.lua file later.

Also, major props to RiftFlyer. I'm very new to this, and I'm sure his approach is superior in many applications. In my situation, I find the "come back to center at full inversion" approach feels better.

There was a second version of riftflyers plugin which behaved the way you wanted (and me too) but he removed it for testing, but since July there was no update on this topic, so when you finished your export.lua, would you share it?

Do you want to remove the extra 2 function completely? I think it could be ok to mix a little of it to the roll axis?!

Sorry guys. I've been busy on other projects and had no way to test my second plugin. I did send it out to a guy who had a suitable platform to test but I never heard back on how it worked so it ended up on the back boiler.

The first plugin I published has issues. Using the rate of change of bank and yaw as an alternative proves to be very difficult especially at the crossover points. I can remove all that code and integrate mrsparks solution into a plugin and publish it over there if that would help. That would mean no need to mess around with lua code for those who prefer not too and it would keep the export lua tidier for those who just need the roll fix for 2dof platforms.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Easiest way to use Rift with a Motion Platform is Prolly:

To Disable Direct to Rift,

Use HMD as Extended monitor,

Run DCS in Stereo Mode,

Use alternate tracking system that will mount to the Motion Platform and be able to track your 6DoF Movements dynamically.

(Something along the lines of Freetrack w/ 4 Point Tracking system mounted to the HMD using LEDs with Wide FoV Mod (Glued on Balls, Filed off Tips etc), mounted forward of the HMD's Front Face, to allow the Tracking camera (PS Eye, etc) to see the tracking points when looking up, down, left right to extents..

I doubt there is a 360 Tracking option.

Or Find away to Disable the Internal IMUs etc, and just use camera/led tracking for all 6 Axes

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for the suggestions and also for the FreeTrack comment. :thumbup:

I bookmarked it for future reference.

Looks like just what I'll need for the PiMAX! :)

When my platform gets here I'll be sure to try your suggestions and report what I find.

For me this is a learning process (both the platform and IR tracking for the PiMAX) and I hope it ends up befitting others too, so your suggestions are (as always) very welcome. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Oculus Rift CV1.

Easiest way to use Rift with a Motion Platform is Prolly:

To Disable Direct to Rift,

Use HMD as Extended monitor,

Run DCS in Stereo Mode,

Use alternate tracking system that will mount to the Motion Platform and be able to track your 6DoF Movements dynamically.

(Something along the lines of Freetrack w/ 4 Point Tracking system mounted to the HMD using LEDs with Wide FoV Mod (Glued on Balls, Filed off Tips etc), mounted forward of the HMD's Front Face, to allow the Tracking camera (PS Eye, etc) to see the tracking points when looking up, down, left right to extents..

I doubt there is a 360 Tracking option.

Or Find away to Disable the Internal IMUs etc, and just use camera/led tracking for all 6 Axes

i play DCS in a 360° fullmotion simpit (bank axis) with the CV1 and the tracking issue drives me mad:cry:

Is there a detailed howto thread for this?

1. To Disable Direct to Rift,

2. Use HMD as Extended monitor,

3. Run DCS in Stereo Mode,

4. Use alternate tracking system (TRACK IR 5 in my case)

Did someone may know a away to disable the internal RIFT Tracking? I thought this and the tracking problem was no problem with DK2?!?

Thanks a lot!

With kind regards,

Staff of Virtual JaBoG32

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is the problem with rift tracking ? if the camera is on the platform itself ?

Thanks

The camera is only used for Position/Sync, Rotation is measured by internal IMU.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

And it makes rift non usable for motion platform ?

Using the Rift API Tracking Interface Yes,

You can however use Rift as a Extended Screen w/ DCS Running in Stereoscopic Mode and use alternate tracking system.

*(Requires a Custom Monitor Setup LUA)

FaceTrackNoIr 2.0 Supports using Oculus Camera to track and translate to TrackIR Movement.

(I have not tested).

There is a OVR API Command for Disabling the Tracking Rotation from IMU, but AFAIK this is not integrated into DCS, and Disabling the IMU May or May not Allow the Camera to do all the tracking.

Edited by SkateZilla