FPS Drops without CPU/GPU maxing out

Cebo

Hi,

I have a strange problem. My FPS is dropping down to as low as 30 even though CPU and GPU is not maxed out, CPU and GPU are sitting around 50 to 60%, see screenshot attached. I have "Full Screen ON" ticked in the system setting

Hardware spec:

GTX 960 2GB

i3 4160@3.6GHz

Running it from a Samsung SSD 850v Evo

I have never seen this in any other game before, drops are usually caused by GPU maxing out or in rare occasion by a maxing out CPU.

Thanks,

Renato

framerate.png.71f7b00e981491fbb31b591a00149374.png

I have the same issue even though I have 16 GB RAM. It has meant that I have played DCS for over two months as I cannot stand the stutters any more and I not willing to play with it shadows given my rig.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

can you try and correlate FPS drops to the presence of airports in your FOV? (at any distance)

It is more noticeable in low flight, but not necessarily related to an airport. If I fly high up e.g. @20,000 the GPU is utilised much better therefore FPS is between 60 and 120

It is really unusual to see an FPS drop without having a clear bottle neck. Looks like a quirk of the engine to me.

---------Since 1.53 version, good performance came along with at least 16GB RAM+4G VRAM.

Unless DCS suddently went to become a 64 Bit Application, how is it consume more than 4 GB of RAM?

If it does, that sounds more like a veritable memory leak or swap file occlusion.

If an application consumes more then 4GB of Memory it better uses 64bit to circumvent the inevitable 32bit 4GB memory adress limit.

I have the feeling ED is trying to sell us a compact family car fitted with a Truck engine as a purpose tailored sports coupe.

Edited by Beagle One

---------Since 1.53 version, good performance came along with at least 16GB RAM+4G VRAM.

don't think 16GB of RAM makes any difference, DCS plus Windows plus all other programs running in the background use only 5.7GB of my 8GB.

Free resources (CPU, GPU and RAM) are available on my computer but DCS does not seem to be able to make use of it:( Which makes me think DCS would scale really badly if I were to throw in more RAM and a better GPU

Sure does make a noticeable difference from my personal experience, when using any high-rez terrain mods for Caucasus, and absolutely over Nevada, which swallows 5+ GB of VRAM alone on any mission start.

Might not be so important nowadays for unmodded 1.5.x perhaps, but I'd expect requirements to get higher than lower when 2.5 and reworked map arrives.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.