taxing to the runway for take-off...without getting lost

fitness88

Once I get clearance to taxi to run 'X' I understand which end of the runway I need to be at based on runway #, I just don't know which route to take. What is the procedure others use to taxi without getting lost as I don't see markers?

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88
forgot question mark

Once I get clearance to taxi to run 'X' I understand which end of the runway I need to be at based on runway #, I just don't know which route to take. What is the procedure others use to taxi without getting lost as I don't see markers?

Thank you.

F10

Then zoom in to the runway.

If he's trying to do it without F10 and externals then he needs to use the kneeboard map. That assumes you know where on the map you start from. ;)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Please! As a real life controller, this is called, not being familiar with the field. You need progressive taxi instructions. If you're supposed to be based there then you need to become familiar. In anycase, ATC doesn't work like real life, so you have to become familiar with all bases you use.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

A printed Airport/Facility directory, or Flight Supplement type of document would go a long way to helping with that familiarity. I like the idea of a manual with me rather than using F-10.

Edit: I guess such a thing was already made. Sweet!

http://wiki.hoggit.us/images/7/7f/DCS_Ground_Charts_v350.pdf

Edited by Specter1075

Yes I have those in my kneeboard thanks...how do you know where you are starting from?

In all custom missions the sim always puts You in the same parking spots in chosen airbases, while ATC always tells You to taxi to the same treshold (in no wind conditions) so after a while You just know where You will start and where to taxi. You can always change the place in mission editor (plane properties, "prk" window).

If You want to go the printed map route, check the Doc/Charts/ location in Your DCS folder.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The mission editor is a good thing to check before flight to know where you are at. I just wish mission briefings contained that info, because sometimes you see things in the mission editor that you might not want to see, like which enemies are and where. It also adds to the waiting time to open the ME. Wouldn't hurt to have the kneeboard automatically show the airfield in question when you first look at it after starting a game.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

A printed Airport/Facility directory, or Flight Supplement type of document would go a long way to helping with that familiarity. I like the idea of a manual with me rather than using F-10.

Edit: I guess such a thing was already made. Sweet!

http://wiki.hoggit.us/images/7/7f/DCS_Ground_Charts_v350.pdf

These were integrated to the kneeboard a long time ago.

In addition you find them in the Docs folder as PDF for printing, as well.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thank you all for your input. I thought in the real world there were taxi markers pointing to the different runways...that's what I wanted to know about.

I've known about the editor, F10, F11 from day 1, I just felt it wasn't real world to use it.

I have the charts in my kneeboard, just didn't realize that the start point was always the same when a mission started. I will start taking note of my locations.

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your input. I thought in the real world there were taxi markers pointing to the different runways...that's what I wanted to know about.

I've known about the editor, F10, F11 from day 1, I just felt it wasn't real world to use it.

I have the charts in my kneeboard, just didn't realize that the start point was always the same when a mission started. I will start taking note of my locations.

Thanks again!

I thought that too. I'm kinda suprised that this isn't the case. :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks again!

IRL there are taxi markers that will mark the TWYs in intersections. They are used in combination with ground charts to navigate to RWY/Gate etc.. The thing is IRL the ATC would give you path in instructions like "Rwy 04, taxi via Alpha, Charlie". The ATC we have in DCS is very simplistic and doesn't give this information, so you need to find the way yourself.

For all intents and purposes you could improvise. The runway they give is the heading of the runway (this is how it works in real life btw). So for example if you're told to taxi to runway 01 the takeoff roll will be on heading 010 or runway 26 the heading is 260 for the takeoff roll. Basically runway number is the heading of that runway. Knowing this you can approximate the route you need to take to the runway.

For all intents and purposes you could improvise. The runway they give is the heading of the runway (this is how it works in real life btw). So for example if you're told to taxi to runway 01 the takeoff roll will be on heading 010 or runway 26 the heading is 260 for the takeoff roll. Basically runway number is the heading of that runway. Knowing this you can approximate the route you need to take to the runway.

Yes I always cycle NAV to 'Land' then look at my HSI course select. This gives me the direction I need to take-off so with that info I start my taxi by going toward the appropriate end of the taxi way and then look for runway lights [if night time flight]. During the day it's more difficult, but I will start to note locations per each airfield.

• Like 1

This doesn't work in case the airfield has a strange layout. Caucasus has one or two where you have no idea where to go if you start from the hangars.

When it comes to starting locations, if you play a map where the parking location is not the default one, then you can't rely on memory to guide you. We really need those airfield signs in addition to the new ATC...

DCS Finland | SF squadron

The airports on the Nevada map have those taxi signs. Some airports on the Caucasus map have them, too. For example Sukhumi.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This doesn't work in case the airfield has a strange layout. Caucasus has one or two where you have no idea where to go if you start from the hangars.

When it comes to starting locations, if you play a map where the parking location is not the default one, then you can't rely on memory to guide you. We really need those airfield signs in addition to the new ATC...

Agree 100%!

Edited by fitness88

Even on the "full real" servers the F10 view shows your location on the airbase, so you can tell how to taxi. In SP you can just use F2 external view.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hopefully the new ATC system will include actual Taxi direction from ATC.

Then you can Kneepad the airport map and find your way (as real pilots do anyhow).

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig