P51D Carrier ops

Always wanted to try carrier ops with the P51D?

Want to use the Kuznecow carrier as a USA ship? (To use the angled ramp)

Now's your chance!

Copy the P51D.lua to,

DCSworld\scripts\Database\planes

and over write.

Copy db_countries.lua to,

DCSworld\scripts\Database

and over write.

To make the Kuznecow a us carrier, see here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/760049/

Note, the db_countries.lua also included in above file is old. Use the one below.

Have fun and.........

Good Luck!:thumbup:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

You can also set Russia to blufor or use the p-51D in redfor countries (some will allow it I think). This mod will trigger an integrity check failure for those of you wondering, so make sure to remove it for multiplayer use.

PC Specs: i7 4790 (non K), MSI GTX 980, 1TB Seagate HDD, 32GB Crucial DDR3-1600MHz RAM, 3 Samsung 1920x1080 monitors, EVGA 850W G2 PSU

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running 1.5.4 bets. I installed the USS Intrepid mod, but it causes an integrity error at startup. The db_countries.lua lua-script is what is flagged. I removed the db_countries.lua script and startup succeeded.

But I'm still not sure if this works in 1.5.4 or not.

I've added the controls to the P-51D's keyboard default, and even added an entry to the joystick default. But I have no idea if they are actually working, because there are no indications of function, neither graphically, nor through and instruments. Is there anyway to confirm the status of the tail hook?

I created a test mission with US and Russia on the same side and added a US P-51D and a Russian Kuznetsov. I can even start from the Kuznetsov, for example, cold-start from ramp, but when I try to call the Kuznetsov on the radio as ATC I never get an answer. But I never get an answer from the Carl Vincent either, so it may simply have to do with using the aircraft carriers as ATC's, although they are selectable in the ATC menu.

I tried to land on the Kuznetsov a few times, but either I'm not hitting the arrester cables and just bouncing over them (typical P-51D style landing) or the entire system is not working. Has anybody got this to work in 1.5.4 beta?

I also noted that when starting form the Kuznetsov ramp that the P-51D is sliding slowing over the deck, more or less toward the middle of the deck. When adding the P-51D to the missing, and positioning it on the Kuznetsov, you can select ramp for the initial waypoint, but the position is automatically set to "auto". In this case the P-51D is positioned on the right side of the deck in front of the island directly on the right-hand take-off stripe, but as I stated, you don't remain there for long.

Take-off works quite well at 60 MP with the P-51D having about 120 kn AIS on leaving the deck (the Kuznetsov was sailing at 20 kn though). You just have to have the engine warmed up sufficiently or risk blowing the engine shortly after start :doh:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

'm running 1.5.4 bets. I installed the USS Intrepid mod, but it causes an integrity error at startup. The db_countries.lua lua-script is what is flagged. I removed the db_countries.lua script and startup succeeded.
Did you use the db_countries.lua from the mod or the one I provided?

This mod is old and that file is bad. Use the one I provided. I took it from a recent release version.

Because there is no hook modeled on the P51, you will not see it deploy.

I have not been successful in catching the wire either. I assumed it was my poor skills to be honest!:D

The info I provided was from another thread, about a different aircraft. I think they said you would not see the hook but it would still work.

I have used the hook in the FA-18 mod which you can see, and does work. ( I have landed once, catching the wire. My hands were sweating afterwards!:lol:)

I added the hook command to other mods, (the F15E I think, I've modded too many mods to remember!) And the hook DID show deploying. YMMV.

As far as calling the atc, I read somewhere on these forums about a command to add which allows you to call the meatball, and call for refueling. I don't remember about communications with the ship. I did a quick search but did not find it. I'll keep looking.

Perhaps a search of the SU-33 keyboard lua may yield a answer. I think this aircraft is carrier capable.

I also found some aircraft will slide on the deck after spawning. Partly a dcs fault I think. If the ship is moving, the aircraft will slide right off! I use the wheel brake to stop.

You always spawn on the same spot.

I taxi to the end on the deck before take off.

The ramp does help!:smilewink:

Sorry I can't be more help.

It is a fun challenge either way.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

8<

Note, the db_countries.lua also included in above file is old. Use the one below.

8<

computerheadbang.gif

This is where I went wrong. I oversaw this.

With the db_countries.lua you provided in the original post, the Kuznetsov can be selected as an US ship, but with the type "CV 1143.5 Admiral Kuznetsov" and not "CV-113 USS Intrepid" :huh:

Did you use the db_countries.lua from the mod or the one I provided?

This mod is old and that file is bad. Use the one I provided. I took it from a recent release version.

Because there is no hook modeled on the P51, you will not see it deploy.

I have not been successful in catching the wire either. I assumed it was my poor skills to be honest!:D

The info I provided was from another thread, about a different aircraft. I think they said you would not see the hook but it would still work.

I have used the hook in the FA-18 mod which you can see, and does work. ( I have landed once, catching the wire. My hands were sweating afterwards!:lol:)

I added the hook command to other mods, (the F15E I think, I've modded too many mods to remember!) And the hook DID show deploying. YMMV.

As far as calling the atc, I read somewhere on these forums about a command to add which allows you to call the meatball, and call for refueling. I don't remember about communications with the ship. I did a quick search but did not find it. I'll keep looking.

Perhaps a search of the SU-33 keyboard lua may yield a answer. I think this aircraft is carrier capable.

I also found some aircraft will slide on the deck after spawning. Partly a dcs fault I think. If the ship is moving, the aircraft will slide right off! I use the wheel brake to stop.

You always spawn on the same spot.

I taxi to the end on the deck before take off.

The ramp does help!:smilewink:

Sorry I can't be more help.

It is a fun challenge either way.

I think the adding of the 'iCommandPlaneHook' control to the keyboard default.lua simply allows to set the command in the options, but since there is no tail hook on the P-51D, using the command does nothing, because there is no tail hook defined on the P-51D.

Instead of trying to land just right to see if the tail hook would snag an arrester cable, I started the P-51D on the Kuznetsov on the 'ramp' and taxied to the stern end of the deck. Then I pressed <Lalt><G> to drop the tail hook, and taxied over the arrester cables toward the bow of the deck. The virtual tail hook should have caught the first cable, or at least one of the cables, and stopped the P-51D in its tracks, but it just rolled on down the deck.

So, a half success to report, but no real carrier landing with the P-51D. Was just too good to be true annoyed.gif

BTW the sliding on deck while stationary happens happens with the breaks on too, so it has to be an issue with the EDGE engine.

Taking off with the P-51D is... yuck.gif. You just can't see where you are going at all and must be aligned with the ramp perfectly. Plus you definitely have to remember to put the stick into the center when you hit the ramp (normally you have it pulled back all the way until hitting 100 kn AIS so that the tail wheel remains steerable), least you jump off the ramp and push the nose straight upwards and fall tail first back into the sea shame.gif

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks for the report.

I have a friend who might be able to fix the tail hook issue.

Give me a little time to see what we can do.

I'm sure there is a way to fix the Intrepid mod as well.

I'll take a look.

I would love to get this working!

Thanks, stay tuned.......