What do you want in a new flight sim portal / community?

mrsparks

Hi all!

I've been wanting to give back to the community for some time. I've enjoyed the genre for more than a decade (back to Chuck Yeager's Aces and European Air War), and it's time I help make something good for everyone.

I have design and web programming skills. I wish I was more of a pure programmer so I could join a modding community, but the best I can do is build a community site.

My goals for the site:

• Make it easy for newcomers to evaluate various titles and get up and running (hardware, mods, teamspeak, the whole gambit)
  • Provide a more structured, easy to navigate survey of available flight sim options, with ratings and reviews and any other relevant info.

Now, that could be cool. But it could also be much better. So I'm asking - what do you think is missing in the flight sim space? I don't want to rebuild ATAG. But I also sense there's a need for more. Just to get your juices flowing, consider mission planning, real-world meetups, training courses, online companion for historical campaigns, manual augmentation - there are so many possibilities!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My advice: rather than going alone, consider offering help to some of the existing sites.

They can pretty much be found in the Community News section, but there are a few standouts like Mudspike.com who are up and coming and probably would like help if you can build content or other feature systems.

Agreed. It would be far more practical to combine your efforts with an existing site, rather than create another one.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

My advice: rather than going alone, consider offering help to some of the existing sites.

They can pretty much be found in the Community News section, but there are a few standouts like Mudspike.com who are up and coming and probably would like help if you can build content or other feature systems.

Thanks Buzzles - good suggestion!