A2A Opponents for M-2000C

ZoomBoy27

I have a multi-mission single-player mission where the Pilot is waiting on the runway for whatever mission is randomly assigned. It is set in 1989 with early - too early - Georgian independence and France sending the M-2000C.

I have chosen to pit the Mirage 2000C against mainly Mig-23, Mig-29A attackers

There is an occasional Su-27

For reasonable difficulty and parity, do I need to need to nerf the missiles?

Are there other Soviet opponents - like the MiG-21?

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

You have similar ideas to me for making missions.

I looked this up before and the Soviet Union had

Mig-23 (many)

Mig-21 (many)

Mig-29A and Mig-29S

Su-27

Mig-25

Mig-31

Like the Amraam, the R-77 hadn't entered service yet in 1989 so it isn't an issue. For that reason, in the mission I'm making, neither do the American aircraft have the Aim-120.

Ironically, the R-77 is easier to defend against in the Mirage than SARH missiles because it shows up on the RWR. The RWR does not warn you of an inbound R-27(E)R, but it is supposed to (two more weeks).

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

You have similar ideas to me for making missions.

I looked this up before and the Soviet Union had

Mig-23 (many)

Mig-21 (many)

Mig-29A and Mig-29S

Su-27

Mig-25

Mig-31

Like the Amraam, the R-77 hadn't entered service yet in 1989 so it isn't an issue. For that reason, in the mission I'm making, neither do the American aircraft have the Aim-120.

Ironically, the R-77 is easier to defend against in the Mirage than SARH missiles because it shows up on the RWR. The RWR does not warn you of an inbound R-27(E)R, but it is supposed to (two more weeks).

I'm not sure about the S variant of the MiG-29.

By the time the R-77 comes up on the RWR you should already have taken defensive actions. Otherwise you are likely to be in a very bad situation. :)

I'm not sure about the S variant of the MiG-29.

By the time the R-77 comes up on the RWR you should already have taken defensive actions. Otherwise you are likely to be in a very bad situation. :)

The Mig-29S can fire the R-77 from TWS so you typically don't have a lock-on warning until the missile goes active, just like the 120. The best defensive action you can take is to stay outside MAR (minimum abort range). In other words, attempting head-on BVR combat here is a really bad idea.:doh:

You might be right about the S's introduction date. I'll check again.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The Mig-29S can fire the R-77 from TWS so you typically don't have a lock-on warning until the missile goes active, just like the 120. The best defensive action you can take is to stay outside MAR (minimum abort range). In other words, attempting head-on BVR combat here is a really bad idea.:doh:

You might be right about the S's introduction date. I'll check again.

I am aware. That's why I said you should not wait for the R-77 to appear on your RWR to take defensive maneuver.

The S version has an improved radar to accommodate the R-77 as far as I know so I doubt it was put into service before the missile reached IOC in the 90's.

Mig-29S entered service in 1992, two years prior to the R-77 (that, to this day, is only deployed on such a small scale you wonder why we have them in a late '90s FC3 series)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BiEo_eFfMrbD9oOLe8ddIVboQ2QvdgDvd3vazxK2PU0/edit#gid=0

I am aware. That's why I said you should not wait for the R-77 to appear on your RWR to take defensive maneuver.

And I thought you read me as saying that I would wait to see the R-77 on the RWR before suspecting that one could be on its way.:smilewink:

Glad we are in agreement.:)