? About Using the Huey Collective

SKYFOXX

I've been having lots of trouble getting the Huey to hover and to lift off. I've watched many tutorials but still have this problem. I have to use R-Alt+J for it to smoothly hover and then use another R-Alt+J and F1 to take control. Quite by accident last evening just before i uas going to use the R-Alt+J for the hover i pressed the + key on the keyboard number pad and to my amazement the Huey lifted off very smoothly and I was able to take control. I'm using a TMTFH-X joystick and when I looked at the bindings I saw that there was nothing set for the joystick's collective.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here are my questions:

1. Does the Huey's collective stick (the stick with the yellow throttle) move up and down to gain or lose altitude like the joystick for the cyclic?

2. Do I have to bind a button on my joystick to the collective?

3. Why did the num pad + key make the Huey Lift off? Is the + key the default hover or lift off

key?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm not using the collective correctly, because I can't seem to gain of lose altitude with any solid control.

Please help........

All I can tell you is that it is very difficult to fly any heli on a PC without a HOTAS setup. In a perfect world you will have your collective assigned to a slider of some kind. Without that precise control, it's not so easy to fly. The collective does move up and down, but not like the joystick. As the stick moves up, it gives the heli more lift. As it moves down, it drops the lift. It has to equal out with your rudder control. As the collective increases, it pulls the aircraft to the right. You have to use left rudder to counter that pull. You are always adjusting your collective while in flight, and as a result, you are always using your rudder. That's why its easier to have them all assigned to a HOTAS and rudder pedal setup.

It's very hard to fly any heli in any sim without a full stick, throttle, and rudder setup. The keyboard is just too much work. Although I know people who can do it, it's not the preferred method of flying helis.

When you hit the +, you raised the collective. That is why you took off. The minus lowers the collective.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

I've been having lots of trouble getting the Huey to hover and to lift off. I've watched many tutorials but still have this problem. I have to use R-Alt+J for it to smoothly hover and then use another R-Alt+J and F1 to take control. Quite by accident last evening just before i uas going to use the R-Alt+J for the hover i pressed the + key on the keyboard number pad and to my amazement the Huey lifted off very smoothly and I was able to take control. I'm using a TMTFH-X joystick and when I looked at the bindings I saw that there was nothing set for the joystick's collective.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here are my questions:

1. Does the Huey's collective stick (the stick with the yellow throttle) move up and down to gain or lose altitude like the joystick for the cyclic?

2. Do I have to bind a button on my joystick to the collective?

3. Why did the num pad + key make the Huey Lift off? Is the + key the default hover or lift off

key?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm not using the collective correctly, because I can't seem to gain of lose altitude with any solid control.

Please help........

Hmm, you already have a throttle on your joystick. So you can map that as the Collective input. I know in the first few versions of Huey, they mistakenly labeled it as "Corrector" instead of "Collective"

But just go to the Controller setup for Huey, and go to Axis Commands. You should see the collective. Double click on the Collective in the column that has your joystick and assign it to your throttle. You may want to use the Axis Tune to select "Reverse Axis" This way, you can slowly pull back on the throttle to increase your collective.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yep, you definitely want precise, fine-grained control for the collective in a heli.

Now, unlike the cyclic and anti-torque, you do not need it all the time in a hover. Once you establish a stable hover you barely need to touch it. But you do need it to get into a stable hover for a particular configuration of weight, elevation, and air temp.

In addition to the collective, you of course need to have fine-grained analog (i.e., not keyboard) control on all of these to fly helis: pitch, roll, yaw (anti-torque or "rudder").

What you do not need all that much fine-grained analog control for is the throttle. You might be able to get away with keyboard mappings. So I suggest you map the joystick throttle or some other analog axis to collective input rather than use it for throttle. And yes, as noted above, you probably want to reverse the input when mapping throttle to better model the collective.

And you can probably save yourself a lot of frustration, confusion, angst, and questioning of the worthiness of your own existence by reading up a little about helicopter aerodynamics and operation before stepping into the cockpit again ;). I suggest you begin with Chuck's (Excellent) guide, which covers not only the basics of helicopter flying, but all the controls you need for the Huey:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143684

Thank You hansangb and Bearfoot, I'll check that out. You're so right about flying a helicopter, being difficult to master. I learned how to fly and control them very well in the Battlefiled games. The DCS sim copters I will admit are harder to master but it's not rocket science.

Do you know anything about the + key on th e number pad?

P.s. I do have a profile saved that I use for this joystick and it worked fine with the KA50-BS-2 that I got last week. . I don't seem to have any problems flying the KA50 other than learning how to use all the the buttons and switches. And, like most of the sim style software and other games there is a learning curve one must overcome.

P.s for Bearfoot. I started reading about the systems of a helicopter this morning. That's why I now know the difference between the collective and the cyclic.

Edited by SKYFOXX

Thank You hansangb and Bearfoot, I'll check that out. You're so right about flying a helicopter, being difficult to master. I learned how to fly and control them very well in the Battlefiled games. The DCS sim copters I will admit are harder to master but it's not rocket science.

Do you know anything about the + key on th e number pad?

P.s. I do have a profile saved that I use for this joystick and it worked fine with the KA50-BS-2 that I got last week. . I don't seem to have any problems flying the KA50 other than learning how to use all the the buttons and switches. And, like most of the sim style software and other games there is a learning curve one must overcome.

P.s for Bearfoot. I started reading about the systems of a helicopter this morning. That's why I now know the difference between the collective and the cyclic.

Did you not read my post: + adds collective and - lessens collective.......