tell me why the mi8 manual isnt finished?

TaliG

why 2 years and counting on delivering the english mi8 manual? pls dnt tell me you are working on it, cause people who work on smting like this can produse at list 2 tomes (big fat books) of useful information EVERY YEAR (copied from lets say a mi17 manual), but you dnt even bother to deliver... how long should we wait for it ? im a faithful customer but waiting for 2+ years for a document... becomes enconvinient, in a way.., in my way of thinking at list..

Edited by TaliG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Draft manual is pretty incomplete. Sure we can work on the real Mi-17 manual available on the internet, but it doesn't say what is actually implemented in the module or not. And there's a lot of systems in the DCS module that do not exist on the civilian version obviously. BST has been slowly adding functionalities , and we are missing some of the promised stuff like side gunners, multicrew and others. Maybe they are waiting to come up with a finished version of the module before generating a final version of the manual. But 2 years.... that's a bit rough.

Fantastic module anyway.

The spectre of un-finished stuff seems to have become quite a trademark of DCS in the last few years. However, I'm not complaining, though it does concern me a little. On one hand we have the benefit of early access to these awesome modules but I can't help wondering if this in some way numbs the developer's focus when it comes to completion and bug fixing.

Having said that, the incredible complexity of these products would simply make error free beta testing impossible if it weren't for the hundreds of us doing it for them, so without early access, we'd probably end up with very buggy incomplete modules anyway. It's a catch 22.

I guess that allowing early access boosts the cashflows of what must be small developer companies, so I'm all for that. However, like taxes, I have no objection to paying provided my cash goes to the right places! I do hope that our early access payments aren't simply going to exclusively fund the next module before the previous one is finished.

In any case, we have been treated to so much awesomeness recently, the level of our expectations has become extremely high. We are very lucky to live in such a golden age of technology advancements such that we have access to this amazing simulator in our own homes. Only a few years ago it would have seemed impossible. Perhaps we've just overdosed on incredible awesomeness, and like a drug, we need more and more to satisfy our cravings.

In summary though, I'd rather we had it like it is with unfinished manuals and bugs which refuse to go away, rather than what we had a few years ago, which by comparison these days looks really quite primitive :-)

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Heh be glad you at least have the draft. Figuring stuff out from google translated Russian manuals and trial and error used to be a part of the BST module experience back in the days ;). I remember all the research that went into understanding the Mi-8 and MiG-15 before they got their official manuals. To be honest I don't think I know any DCS aircraft as well as these two after having to do all that work.

On a more serious note, as much as I love the Mi-8, the lack of a final or semi final manual after all this time is not even funny anymore. Come on BST. I know you can do better.

seems to have become quite a trademark of DCS
Quite the trademark of BST, at least. Witness the still-missing heat failure model for the Huey, for example. Well, I'm not actually sure if I'm going to buy their offerings anymore, at least until the ones I have already are completed. So let's just waaaaait...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Heh be glad you at least have the draft. Figuring stuff out from google translated Russian manuals and trial and error used to be a part of the BST module experience back in the days ;). I remember all the research that went into understanding the Mi-8 and MiG-15 before they got their official manuals. To be honest I don't think I know any DCS aircraft as well as these two after having to do all that work.

On a more serious note, as much as I love the Mi-8, the lack of a final or semi final manual after all this time is not even funny anymore. Come on BST. I know you can do better.

Your right there.

All I know about Mi-8 is self taught I bet half the community would be unable to use the ARK 9 and UD without people like Imp and Wolle to suss it out.

Be interesting to see what we have been doing wrong when we finally get teh manual:music_whistling:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also wonder as well. All my instruction came from you tube videos that people so lovingly put together and only used the manual to "fill in the gaps." As stated yes the English manual is woefully lacking in certain information and has not been updated since.....2014? to reflect the new changes, which is a shame as this is by far one of my most favorite aircraft.

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

• ED Team
I also wonder as well. All my instruction came from you tube videos that people so lovingly put together and only used the manual to "fill in the gaps." As stated yes the English manual is woefully lacking in certain information and has not been updated since.....2014? to reflect the new changes, which is a shame as this is by far one of my most favorite aircraft.

Now FM have status ACTIVE WIP. Less than a month to be completed in full (without not devs functions).

PS The volume of the new FM will be more previous volume by 60-65%

Edited by PilotMi8

Well then I will only miss the Multicrew for my loved Mi-8 ;)

On Topic: Take your time, rather deliver a thought through, excellent manual later than rush it and release a flawed one.

OS: Win10 | Hardware: Z97 Mainboard, i7 4790k @4Ghz, GTX980, 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Ram, TM Warthog (w/ Extension) + Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TIR5 with Custom Clip

Now FM have status ACTIVE WIP. Less than a month to be completed in full (without not devs functions).

PS The volume of the new FM will be more previous volume by 60-65%

EXCELLENT!! Thank you for the direct reply, I also notice you mentioned it the MI-8MTV2 news as well. I may have to find another reason to learn Russian after :thumbup:

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S