Creating a Single Universal Liveries Folder for All Installs

SkateZilla

*Updated for 2023 Formatting, Tested w/ Aircraft Liveries in Original .zip compressed folders.

Import Liveries Module
Import Liveries for All DCS Builds from a Global Liveries Store Directory (Without having multiple copies of each livery).

For Users that have Multiple Installs and / or users that want to store Liveries in another location other than Windows User Profile Folder / Drive.

This "Module" will Import a Single Livery Folder, and allow you to make a Global /DCS.Liveries/ Folder and within it, the subfolders for each aircraft and their Liveries, and not have to copy/duplicate every livery for each install of DCS World.

Step 1: Create the Saved Games Folder or Alternate Path for Global Liveries Directory:

ie:

root:\\Users\<USERNAME>\Saved Games\DCS.Liveries\

or

root:\\DCS\DCS.Liveries\

*You Can Place the DCS.Liveries Folder Anywhere you want,
So if you have a space issue on your C:\ Drive you can place it anywhere, just adjust 
path accordingly.

Step 2 Copy All Custom Liveries to the DCS.Liveries Folder, each aircraft should have it's own Folder, ie:

\DCS.Liveries\f-86f sabre\
\DCS.Liveries\f-5e-3\
\DCS.Liveries\FA-18C_hornet\
Etc.

Step 3: Create A Folder On your Desktop, name it "Liveries Import"

Step 4: Create the Entry.LUA for the "Module"

Note: Be Sure to Change the "DRIVE:/PathToLiveriesFolder/DCS.Liveries/" to the correct path to your Liveries Folder.

local self_ID  = "Global Liveries Importer"
local self_DEV = "Skate Zilla Simulations"
local GlobalLiveriesPath = "DRIVE:/PathToLiveriesFolder/DCS.Liveries/"
declare_plugin(self_ID,
{
installed 	 = true, 
dirName	  	 = current_mod_path,
version		 = __DCS_VERSION__,	
developerName	= _(self_DEV),	 
state		 = "installed",
info		 = _("A Small Footprint Custom Liveries Module to Import Liveries from a Global Store directory for use by multiple installs."),
})
---------------------------------------------------------
mount_vfs_liveries_path (GlobalLiveriesPath)
---------------------------------------------------------
plugin_done()

Save Entry.lua in the /Liveries Import/ Folder you made on your desktop.

Step 5, Install the Module.

Copy the /Liveries Import/ Folder.

Goto Each install of DCS World You have in the /Saved Games/ Folder and place a Copy in each install's /Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.Install/Mods/aircraft/ Folder

(ie Should be ie /Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.OpenBeta/Mods/aircraft/Liveries Import/Entry.lua)

(Updated to change location as to not trip MP IC.)

Step 6 Launch DCS

Goto Mission Editor, Verify Liveries stored in folder are Loaded.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks a lot ... :)

I have two installs of DCS (1.5 and 2.0) and will try out your tip tonight, with a single plane ... if it works well, I will then do the same for the remaining planes.

Edit: It worked just fine :D ... thank you, thank you, thank you ... this will be really nice until DCS 2.5 cames along

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Works like a charm. Excellent Mod. Will the folder we create in the Mods\tech folder be overwritten or deleted when DCS updates?

Most likely not, but just in case you can install this Mod using the JSGME tool, so that it's easy to deactivate previous to performing a DCS update, and reactivate afterwards ... like so:

JSGME.png

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

This change breaks IC on new DCS version updated today. Any one that can confirm?

Kicks in on the "Mods/tech/Liveries Import" folder.

I updated DCS 1.5 today and didn't notice anything wrong ... what is exactly the "IC" ? :huh:

Works like a charm. Excellent Mod. Will the folder we create in the Mods\tech folder be overwritten or deleted when DCS updates?

SD

Can Also place in

/Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.Install/Mods/aircraft/

ie /Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.OpenBeta/Mods/aircraft/Liveries Import/Entry.lua

If you wanted too.

Solves IC Problems, Will Change 1st Post to use folder outside DCS Main Folder.:

This change breaks IC on new DCS version updated today. Any one that can confirm?

Kicks in on the "Mods/tech/Liveries Import" folder.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I have created a folder in my DCS.Liveries folder for the F-86 called F-86 but none of the skins I put in this folder are showing in the editor. I am sure I have the folder name wrong but I am not sure of the correct folder name.

Is there a list of aircraft folder names anywhere?

Cheers

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

I have created a folder in my DCS.Liveries folder for the F-86 called F-86 but none of the skins I put in this folder are showing in the editor. I am sure I have the folder name wrong but I am not sure of the correct folder name.

Is there a list of aircraft folder names anywhere?

Cheers

SD

for F-86

the folder name should be "f-86f sabre"

So:

/DCS.Liveries/f-86f sabre/

Thanks mate. That works now but do you know if there is a list of folder names anywhere?

What is the folder name for the Mi8-MTV or the 3 gazelle versions for instance? A list would be handy.

Cheers

SD

Eligible Folder names:

For AI Models (and UH-1H/Mi8, WWII Aircraft)

/DCS World/Bazar/Liveries/

For All Other Models/

/DCS World/CoreMods/Aircraft/<AircraftName>/Liveries/

Is there any possibility a similar solution could work for mission files too?

This would also be a huge advantage.

You can Save a .miz file anywhere already and load from anywhere cant you?

You can Save a .miz file anywhere already and load from anywhere cant you?

Yes, you can, but the My Missions folder points at a single location - within the saved games tree for each separate install. I guess it'd just be a simple task (for someone who knows their stuff anyway) to get them all to point at the same folder?

• 2 months later...

same as the folder names for the regular aircraft

Aircraft Folder names are in DCS World/Bazar/Liveries/ or /CoreMods/Aircraft/<aircraft>/Liveries/