Remove clouds from main menu?

life_rocks

I hope this is the right place to ask! I'm brand new to DCS World. I got it because it has the reputation of being the best sim for the Oculus Rift and, boy, is that true! It's amazing!

Anyways my first question is I noticed the very first menu, with the clouds, is laggy for me. Is there a way to disable the clouds there?

I'm sure I'll be back later with more questions but I only played a little so far.

• Like 1

Outside of VR, the clouds are not really an issue, for most at least. However, with regard to VR, DCS is still doing lots of optimization.

I would expect that as changes get made there will either be VR specific options for such things or ED will choose the least common denominator and make defaults more VR friendly.

Welcome to the forum, and ask away. There are people here with answers to almost any question that you will come up with.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Using O/R, when you move your head around does the view change accordingly like with Track IR?

Yes, it does! It rotates as I rotate my head. Since the headset is attached to my head, it's 1:1 - if I turn 90 degrees the view also turns 90 degrees. Also, if I move to the side the point of view changes (parallax), so for example I can shift to better see a dial that was hidden behind the stick. Finally, the headset has one screen per eye so it gives a 3D effect.

All this together makes a striking effect. It feels like it puts you inside the game! I love it. The downside is that for the illusion to be convincing it needs to compute 90 frames per second so you need a beefy PC, and even then I have to lower the graphics setting a notch. But at least for me it's totally worth it!

I found an article that describes this better than I could:

http://www.mudspike.com/oculus-rift-cv1-first-impressions-with-dcs/

set a wallpaper
Ooooh, I didn't know I could do that! Thank you both, that's awesome! I can't wait to try it, it sounds like this will completely solve the problem!

Edit: tried it, it works! The menu is now buttery smooth! Awesome!

Edited by life_rocks

Yes, it does! It rotates as I rotate my head. Since the headset is attached to my head, it's 1:1 - if I turn 90 degrees the view also turns 90 degrees. Also, if I move to the side the point of view changes (parallax), so for example I can shift to better see a dial that was hidden behind the stick. Finally, the headset has one screen per eye so it gives a 3D effect.

All this together makes a striking effect. It feels like it puts you inside the game! I love it. The downside is that for the illusion to be convincing it needs to compute 90 frames per second so you need a beefy PC, and even then I have to lower the graphics setting a notch. But at least for me it's totally worth it!

I found an article that describes this better than I could:

http://www.mudspike.com/oculus-rift-cv1-first-impressions-with-dcs/

Thanks a lot for that information, I didn't know that! Does it run off an HDMI connection from your g-card and what are your system specs?

:doh:

I completely forgot that you could change the wallpaper.

Owa tagoo siam ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Does it run off an HDMI connection from your g-card and what are your system specs?

Yes, it has a combined HDMI+USB cable, and then the tracking sensor is USB. The setup is trivial, software is very easy to use.

I have a Nvidia GTX 980Ti and have been very happy with it.