VSN flyable aircraft mods

On 4/15/2021 at 2:41 PM, CrazedPilot said:

Is VSN compatible with DCS Open Beta 2.7, or would I need to downgrade to use the aircraft?

On 4/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, cdpkobra said:

The SFM is causing problems with the aircraft carrier.
-Catapult launch does not work with SFM, last working DCS version is 2.5.6.49798.
-When launching the aircraft explodes, on some mods it works and on others it doesn't. I haven't found the bug yet.
-Landing must be very accurate, no margin for error.
- Since ED locked the DLL, I don't fly DCS anymore, so I don't see the errors.

Unfortunately, I can not model, I bought the pilot and put in the planes. It is difficult to find good 3D pilot models.

I'm testing VSN one by one...following the installments of Flaming Cliffs 3 and using the 'Saved Games' folder.  At this hour, all VSN modules are working with v2.7 and I do note that Rafale, Eurofighter, Mirage lll, and the VSN-F-18 variants can land on the regular and super carrier.  But hookup for cat launch code is absent and will probably remain this way due to the SFM limitations.

Edited by Cheap_Trick
Addendum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Really sorry if it's inappropriate in this topic, BUT... I'm trying to find a way to contact the VSN team for maybe a commissioned work. I'm a French director, made a couple of DCS short films, TOP GUN: MAVERICK & GOOSE last year and more recently THE GHOST. I've discovered DCS World about 2 years ago and had great fun making these movies, allowing me to combine my two passions: aviation and cinema.

Anyway, I discovered the VSN_F104 mod and love it, congratulations for this awesome piece of work! The thing is, for the past few months, I did some research for my next DCS movie, a tribute to Chuck Yeager and his zoom climb mission in 1963. I'd like to know if anyone in the VSN team would be interested in providing a private NF-104A mod in order to make this DCS movie more accurate? If not, I intend to use the actual F-104 mod but as I'm going to put a lot energy, time and effort into this, I'm asking... Hope that's okay. I really think this would be a great opportunity to tell this amazing story to the DCS community and to all aviation enthusiasts.

Please, let me know. Happy to chat about it, anytime. Any advise are welcome 🙂

Thanks and kind regards ++

TRS_YT_News1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I'd like to thank everyone involved with these mods.  thank you all very much!

I can not seem to figure out how to launch the F-14(only one I have tried) from the default carrier.  

1) Launch bar wont go down to the shuttle

2) Shuttle either stays behind the F-14 or sometimes moves ahead of the nosewheels

3) Automatic wing sweep control? Is there one?  I can not find it.

4) F-14 explodes when it gets to the end of the launch(front of the deck)

So what am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks for your help

On 5/1/2021 at 9:50 AM, Ktulu84 said:

Hi everyone!

Really sorry if it's inappropriate in this topic, BUT... I'm trying to find a way to contact the VSN team for maybe a commissioned work. I'm a French director, made a couple of DCS short films, TOP GUN: MAVERICK & GOOSE last year and more recently THE GHOST. I've discovered DCS World about 2 years ago and had great fun making these movies, allowing me to combine my two passions: aviation and cinema.

Anyway, I discovered the VSN_F104 mod and love it, congratulations for this awesome piece of work! The thing is, for the past few months, I did some research for my next DCS movie, a tribute to Chuck Yeager and his zoom climb mission in 1963. I'd like to know if anyone in the VSN team would be interested in providing a private NF-104A mod in order to make this DCS movie more accurate? If not, I intend to use the actual F-104 mod but as I'm going to put a lot energy, time and effort into this, I'm asking... Hope that's okay. I really think this would be a great opportunity to tell this amazing story to the DCS community and to all aviation enthusiasts.

Please, let me know. Happy to chat about it, anytime. Any advise are welcome 🙂

Thanks and kind regards ++

TRS_YT_News1.jpg

Hi.

Great Idea. Would really love to see a good DCS-Movie featuring the F104. The Problem with the NF104 is, that it would need a totally new aircraft model which needs to be animated and everything. So I think that is not too likely. If you need more "thrust" in the F104G, that could be done without problem ;-)

On 5/2/2021 at 11:28 AM, NoCoolName66 said:

.....I can not seem to figure out how to launch the F-14(only one I have tried) from the default carrier.  

1) Launch bar wont go down to the shuttle

2) Shuttle either stays behind the F-14 or sometimes moves ahead of the nosewheels

3) Automatic wing sweep control? Is there one?  I can not find it.

4) F-14 explodes when it gets to the end of the launch(front of the deck)

So what am I missing/doing wrong....

In my testing and reading, the VSN version of the F-14 is using the SFM...thusly, its not going to 'act' accordingly atop a carrier's deck and carrier ops in general.  In my test, I was never able to 'hook up' with the launch bar.  Instead, I found the only way to launch from the deck was to literally drive down to the 'Ready Five' station, point my nose at the bow, and simply let'er rip- regardless of anyone standing in the way.

I doubt seriously that the modder will be able to script the needed code for accurate carrier ops with any of the VSN models.  So, iits a swim at your own risk deal.  And landing the VSN variants onto the carrier has to be dead on precise, otherwise, I've found myself catching the wire and my nose is under the deck, doing doughnuts and ending up over the side as I witness the code trying to interpret what the module is supposed to do.  Ive had excellent landing with Eurofighter and Rafell, but since then and since the update, I'm not able to repeat a proper landing.  I've been far too busy with house work and health issues to get a firm grip on the Heatblur's release, albeit I can land it on the carrier w no problems, and I bought the Super Carrier for fun, but alas, VSN modules are best enjoyed from a land base.  

On 4/18/2021 at 2:24 AM, Urbi said:

New liveries for the F-105D and F-105G. Correction of some textures and the number display on the front landing gear. The liveries correspond roughly to the coloring from the photo documents. Procedure for the installation. First unzip the VSN_F105.zip into the VSN_F105 directory and overwrite the files when prompted. Secondly, unzip the VSN_F105_2.zip into the VSN_F105 directory and overwrite the files when prompted. This zip contains all changes to the number representation on the front landing gear. As a last step, unzip the VSN_F105_465th TFS.zip into the VSN_F105 directory. This zip then only contains the liveries of the 465th TFS. Have fun with it.

18a74015f59762d2fef8e2a8b2ebf5f3.jpg

Image source Printerest "Republic F-105D "Thunderchief" - American Airpower Museum

1280px-F-105s_465_TFS_DF-ST-86-12883.jpg

Image source Printerest

Ten Republic F-105 Thunderchiefs (eight F-105Ds and two,
two-place F-105Fs) of the U.S. Air Force Reserve 465th Tactical Fighter Squadron,
507th Tactical Fighter Group (later 301st TFW), on the flight line at Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma (USA),
on 1 June 1978. (Camera Operator: Rick Diaz – U.S. Defense Visual Information Center photo DF-ST-86-12883)

Download-Link :    https://www.dropbox.com/s/227086m3h0wldyc/VSN_F105.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2taxcdo6atvk7jg/VSN_F105_2.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8laa1s2umfros6/VSN_F105_465th%20TFS.rar?dl=0

The F-105 did indeed have a timeless profile.  Not exactly the sexiest plane from a bird's eye view, but viewing it from any other angle gives the impression of a great all around aerial design.

14 hours ago, Cheap_Trick said:

Well, here's an example of the VSN-F14 as I attempted to bring the wings out before taking a stroll through the mountains- the bird never lost control, I was able to climb and roll with ease-

However--

Screen_210505_210320.png

Screen_210505_210227.png

Ah yes, the elusive "Lifting Body" !!!

Reminds me of the F-15 Eagle that lost an entire wing, after an air to air collision, pilot knew something was wrong, trimmed it out, and returned to base and landed.

No one could believe what just happened, including the pilot. McDonal Douglas sent some people to Israel to see for themselves and debrief the pilot...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Negev_mid-air_collision

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, musolo said:

Hi man! is there any chance you have tried to make making flyable helicopter AI? Like Cobra with A-10A cockpit or Mi-28 with Su-25 cockpit?

Probably possible, not sure though why you want to

1) have a helicopter fly like a jet

Or

2) have a different cockpit over the one from the helicopter (ka50, huey or hip) 

Many people don`t mind having Frogfoot cockpit in Mi-28. and Warthog cockpit in Cobra. They`d still love to fly them. Wonder if your F-15E mod would work on the server.So that people who dont have this mod installed still could connect.(There is a trick to allow for that and still have clean protected server) And if your F-15E flyable mod splashes something would server display F-15E in kill message? Those couple of questions i`ll have to investigate) 

Edited by musolo

----RED FLAG---- DCS Server. Discord: https://discord.gg/2PjQ52V