Fuel Calculations

Wrench

Hey guys.

I've been getting more into detail as of late, so I'd like to do proper fuel calcs.

I'm wondering how one would do them the old-school way: pen and paper.

It's a good thing to know, and I'd like to build an excel sheet that does it.

I have a drag index calc made, and I flow FlyingSquirrel made a calc program, but I'd like to make something in excel so I can customize it and get whatever data I want.

If anyone can help, let me know.

Interesting subject that's for sure. I only started doing this myself and I don't calculate yet -- all depends on weight, burn rate and flight profile. For now I am testing CAS missions - max range of 250nm, 10 minutes of CAS itself, 2000lbs bingo fuel in this SIM it works. Also I have downloaded T.O. 1A-10C-1 Flight Manual and will take it from there. Lets see what others say, I am with you on this.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Hey guys.

I've been getting more into detail as of late, so I'd like to do proper fuel calcs.

I'm wondering how one would do them the old-school way: pen and paper.

It's a good thing to know, and I'd like to build an excel sheet that does it.

I have a drag index calc made, and I flow FlyingSquirrel made a calc program, but I'd like to make something in excel so I can customize it and get whatever data I want.

If anyone can help, let me know.

The 476th 3-3 (written by crew chiefs that worked and are still working on the A-10C) presents this table:

NO8emAL.png

Interesting subject that's for sure. I only started doing this myself and I don't calculate yet -- all depends on weight, burn rate and flight profile. For now I am testing CAS missions - max range of 250nm, 10 minutes of CAS itself, 2000lbs bingo fuel in this SIM it works. Also I have downloaded T.O. 1A-10C-1 Flight Manual and will take it from there. Lets see what others say, I am with you on this.
Be aware that the 1A-10C-1 is not a freely distributed and obtainable document: unless you have written consent from the DoD I'd be careful with similar statements.
  • Like 1

Fair enough, to me anything searchable through Google.com means public. However as I have not obtained nor I am going to obtain written consent from any DoD I have now safely disposed of said PDF file and replaced it with the virtual 3-3, however this does not satisfy my need as I still need to decipher Mission Task column. Said document seems to skip that information or my PDF search skills suck (unlike Google.com search skill in which I am proficient it would seem).

Anyway, I would be keen to learn more about Mission Task column items - anybody can help with that?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

No wonder I could not find TO 1A-10C-1-1

Be aware that the 1A-10C-1 is not a freely distributed and obtainable document: unless you have written consent from the DoD I'd be careful with similar statements.

So no chance for TO 1A-10C-1-1 neither? What a world...

Yeah that's the current state of things. There was a post about it from Snoopy but I can't seem to find it right now.

If you want study the airframe the 1A-10A-1 is available, and most of the information in there regarding hydraulics, engines, electronics and so on are applicable to the C variant.

Thanks, that 1A-10A-1 I've had this one for quite some time now, but I am after -1-1 as it is needed for calculations ;) Any chance explaining 3-3 Mission Tasks - just need to get this in some valuable context, example Cruise - Low / Mid / High - what are the MSL values for these?

Thanks, that 1A-10A-1 I've had this one for quite some time now, but I am after -1-1 as it is needed for calculations ;) Any chance explaining 3-3 Mission Tasks - just need to get this in some valuable context, example Cruise - Low / Mid / High - what are the MSL values for these?

The 1A-10A-1 includes the -1-1 at the end.

I have produced a dedicated fuel/time planner for the a10c using the charts from 1A-10A-1-1 (not public though) taking into account almost eveything applicablw to dcs and my conclusion is:

The chart gliptal posted from the 476-3-3 works fine and provides a very accurate estimation for fuel planning. So if you want to go crazy with calculations then awesome, but if you want a quick an easy way to plan for fuel, that chart gives you everything you need for the A-10.

Edited by Kimi_uy

Do you have a valid link for that one as it seems my copy does not contain -1-1 at the end?

Thank you. I want to go crazy. Can anybody decipher that first column from 3-3 screen grab posted before as well please?

NO8emAL.png

Thank you. I want to go crazy. Can anybody decipher that first column from 3-3 screen grab posted before as well please?

Overhead landing pattern:

${1}

Cruise is flying around 300 - 325 KGS

Low alt: 0ft - 10000ft

Med alt: 10000ft - 30000ft

High alt: 30000ft - Saturn

All the other ones are self explanatory.

Conventional Range pass is a lap around the Practice Range. Something Like this:

${1}

For quick calculations you can also use:

combat Fuel Flow is in the range of 6000-6300 lbs/hr.

Loiter Fuel Flow is around 3000.

both depending on altitude obviously.

Other notes:

- From my calcs, drag index isn't much of a factor, gross weight is the most important one.

- Wind and Outside Air Temperature play a big part too.

• Like 1

Kimi_uy - thanks a lot, much appreciated.

@Wrench - I feel this sums this up, happy calculations.

PS Kind of took the lead here, I am sorry for stealing the thread, all in good faith though ;)